CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Thread: Day vehicle?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B584

Day vehicle?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi, looking for others experiences wild camping generally and specifically in Sussex. We had planned to spend time away in Spain from January 2019 meeting up en route with some great people met on the road in 2017. But for Brexit more time trips here methinks; we have two dogs and without a Brexit deal we will be back to square one viz a viz additional health certificates, blood test and 3 month delay (I don't believe it). Returning from France in October we ended up paying some 80 euros for the privilege of seeing a vet there for re-entry to UK, so all in all maybe give the Continent a miss.
    Which is a pity as many facilities exist to make motorhoming great; less so here, where booking sites to stay at seems to be the thing you have to do which doesn't make for impromptu stop over's. That said I'm using ********* and have had some great experiences (you just have to be selective and not choose a gastro pub, unless that's your thing) whilst not obliged to have a meal it is the done thing I would suggest.
    To get to the point, I just wondered whether in the interests of economy it's realistic to not have alternative transport to get around day to day i.e. just using your mhome. Our's is an older A class, great for all year use and only 6m long...but it's wide! Being high up is a boon driving and have got used to the width (Moragro says I chuck it around like a mini). However, the six seats and room in my old VW T5 is called for from time to time but at some stage step daughter and her two young girls must find their own solution! So said T5 might have to go....but very reluctant as we have history I even thought of reverting to being a tugger and selling mhome. Maybe part converting T5 so best of both worlds perhaps. Maybe not, once you have owned a coach built or a pukka high roof van conversion the advantages of mhome ownership possibly outweigh the disadvantages. That said, how many motorhomes just stay on a pitch and not get moved. OK, we use our bikes and public transport which over here the dog's are generally allowed on, can't say the same on the Continent. Best. Hymer Grumps

The laird is offline Full Member
    Name: Gordon
    Spouse: Fonky fi

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer b544 and luv it
    Hi welcome and enjoy

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Merc sprinter xlwb van still to convert
    Hi welcome and enjoy

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer 694 - Renault master pvc
    Hello and
    When you don't care what anyone thinks of you, you have reached an awesome level of freedom

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Adria Sonic Supreme
    Greetings.
    We normally full time (3.5 years until effectively last week!). Two dogs. For transport we have ebikes and a doggy ride trailer. Across the channel this works just fine. Here though, we often travel and take a car (driven separately, not towed), especially if travelling relatively locally and staying put for a bit. A few times a year, we hire a car so we can get to more inaccessible places.
    Sure I could give up the space and freedom of a Motorhome.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B584

My daily drive

Quote Originally Posted by Clunegapyears View Post
    Greetings.
    We normally full time (3.5 years until effectively last week!). Two dogs. For transport we have ebikes and a doggy ride trailer. Across the channel this works just fine. Here though, we often travel and take a car (driven separately, not towed), especially if travelling relatively locally and staying put for a bit. A few times a year, we hire a car so we can get to more inaccessible places.
    Sure I could give up the space and freedom of a Motorhome.
    Thanks all for welcome, and to Katherine we're pretty much aligned! Unfortunately Morag(ro) is no longer able to drive due to poor eyesight but what an idea for local away time. I too used a doggy ride trailer in Spain and it worked well...with Jess the one old sheepdog but now we have a youngster and they don't make bed fellows! So a single trailer isn't an option but we could look at two (smaller ones). Hiring a car is another good idea for those inaccessible places (realistically, by bike) but was there an issue taking dogs? And finally, do you really mean you could give up motorhome

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar Campscout Revolution
    Hi and welcome. Provided you not mind walking and carry cycles Id say a 6m van a sole transport would be ok. Width wont allow it in most car parks but Im sure I could manage.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Adria Sonic Supreme
    Quote Originally Posted by HymerGrumps View Post
    Thanks all for welcome, and to Katherine we're pretty much aligned! Unfortunately Morag(ro) is no longer able to drive due to poor eyesight but what an idea for local away time. I too used a doggy ride trailer in Spain and it worked well...with Jess the one old sheepdog but now we have a youngster and they don't make bed fellows! So a single trailer isn't an option but we could look at two (smaller ones). Hiring a car is another good idea for those inaccessible places (realistically, by bike) but was there an issue taking dogs? And finally, do you really mean you could give up motorhome
    Never an issue with hiring a car with dogs ... never mentioned them! Towels down to catch most of the hairs. I took out an annual car hire insurance policy ... worth it if hiring more than once a year.
    I forgot the NOT in that last sentence... we are committed to getting back on the road ... mid March is our plan.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B584

My daily drive

Quote Originally Posted by Clunegapyears View Post
    Never an issue with hiring a car with dogs ... never mentioned them! Towels down to catch most of the hairs. I took out an annual car hire insurance policy ... worth it if hiring more than once a year.
    I forgot the NOT in that last sentence... we are committed to getting back on the road ... mid March is our plan.
    Thanks Katherine again for useful knowledge. I thought a NOT was missing! And to Phil addressing use of 6 m van as daily transport, thanks. I don't think I will be tugging any time soon.
    Likes Clunegapyears, Chris t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW Camper
    I am assuming from your post that you are a senior citizen. Use your bus pass. Use a bike to get to the bus or the train.

Thread Information