CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Started

Member Number

Getting Started

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    HI everyone, well today myself and my husband have made the momentous decision that we will give up caravanning and move onto pastures new with a motorhome! Now the decision has been made the hard work starts as, although we are now pretty proficient at caravanning, we don't know the first thing about owning and running a motorhome!
    I'd love it if any of you could share some of your opinions and knowledge to help us on our way. We have been to look at a dealership, although we don't have vast amounts of money to spend and will probably end up with something costing somewhere between £10k and £15k. Whilst looking at the vast array of options and layouts I think we managed to narrow it down to a 4 berth motorhome with an overcab bed and rear travel seats and additional couch.....that's as far as we got and now need to understand which makes/models are better than others???? If you could let me know your experiences in this area I would be very grateful...I feel that if our budget dictates that we buy an older vehicle then it would be really useful to know which makes are the most reliable.
    Additionally, can anyone tell me what the tax and insurance are likely to cost? The caravan was really cheap to insure (approx £60/annum) and didn't require tax so anything above this will be additional cost which we need to budget for.
    Lastly (for now!) when we go camping with the caravan we love to go exploring the area and so feel we need to choose a motorhome which would be able to be driven with relative ease down small country lanes and quaint villages and towns. How do you all go on getting around with what is essentially a house on wheels???
    Any advice would be gratefully received and will help us on our way to becoming a fully fledged part of the MH community!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer 694 - Renault master pvc
    Hello and
    When you don't care what anyone thinks of you, you have reached an awesome level of freedom

Member Number
    Motorhome
    swift
    Hi,

Where to begin.

From my own experience, i would be looking at something sub 6m. Places to park can be difficult, but i usually look for somewhere I can reverse into, with space behind to accommodate the overhang.
    Trawl e bay to get an idea of prices and layouts and don't be rushed.
    Likes Pauljenny, GreggBear liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Only a memory
    Depends on how you want to use the motorhome?

If your just going to stay on campsites and like to tow a vanfull of stuff around , using the onsite facilities... Lugging water rolls and wastehogs around .... Stick with your caravan and enjoy yourselves.

A motorhome don't necessarily have to sleep on campsites. Being self contained, means we can travel lighter, go off the beaten track and not have to return to the place we slept, last night.
    If you're just doing weekends and short summer holidays, you'll not need much storage.
    6 metres is a good length to start looking at.. Then try larger and smaller models.
    Just remember that when buying a used motorhome,car, new partener... You're at the mercy of how the previous owner/s have treated or mistreated it.
    Good luck.
    It's not where you live... It's HOW you live..
    Likes trevskoda, GreggBear liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto Sleeper Nuevo EK
    Welcome to our lovely forum!

I have an Auto Sleeper Nuevo, which is 5.63m in length, and it is my only vehicle. They come in 2 and 4 berth models. Personally I would never purchase a van without a gas fire, as I go away all year round, and it doesn't rely on the leisure battery. Purchasing a motorhome will open up a whole new world to you being able to wild camp, I love opening my blinds in the morning to a beautiful view ... rather than being on a site and seeing loads of other vans.

If you have any queries I suggest you start a new thread in the section 'Motorhome Chat', as more people will read it then.

Here's wishing you well in your quest.

Jackie
    Likes Motorhomiesx3, Silver sprinter liked this post
    Thanks Motorhomiesx3 thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Hi and welcome from the six counties,first bit of advice is stay clear of swift or old fiats which have g/box problems and hard to get parts these days,ford also with problems of theft.others on here will give good advice on models to pick.
    Look at having solar panels total or more that 200w to recharge batterys,also make sure if buying used that the batterys are up to scratch,if renewing go for bosch/varta silver power frame.
    Last of all if out wilding a lot esp over winter, think about refillable gas bottles such as gasit or gaslow,one thing for sure make sure the van is well insulated for uk,Think about a fixed bed as much more easy as age creeps in,climbing up to a top bunk is not fun,ok for kids,main thing is have fun and join in.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes Pauljenny, GreggBear liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Carthago Chic C-Line 4.9
    Hi and welcome along. At that price / age point it’s all about condition and history. I wouldn’t get to fixed on a brand. Choose your layout and look at as many as you can.
    Likes Pauljenny, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    none
    Welcome to wild camping.
    Getting around is easy we have electric bikes or use buses and taxis when visiting from a site. Better than sites though is wilding, easiest away from the coast in my opinion. Then try France and use the aires which are so easy and usually in a town or village which means easy access to all sorts of shops etc.

Deleted user 48797 Guest
    Hi. Whatever you choose check the payload. Some vans are very heavy with little carrying capacity before being overloaded.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Merc sprinter elwb van still to convert
    Hi welcome and enjoy, lots of info on this site, you have advantage you had a caravan, everything is new to me but reading most posts has been very helpful, possibly hire one for e weekend in the layout you like, sure you will find out if it's for you, rather than buying, then find out the layout isn't for you, good luck
    Likes GreggBear liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information