CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Retirement

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Retire from 35 years self employment at the end of September, lots of holidays planned first ever cruise November, Skiing Jan in a hotel France,Skiing Feb in the van Italy, oh and a little part time work in between to keep me active.
    Likes - Tbear, Stanski liked this post

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    Retired in March not missed working one little bit ( ex HGV mechanic) all aches and paines gone.
    Now enjoying our selves doing what we like when we like bliss
    Likes - Tbear, kernowprickles liked this post

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries

Retirement

Tbear, you are obviously an intelligent individual, do what you need to do to suit you. I have met many people who have 'retired' and found it mind numbingly boring or extremely life enhancing but the common theme was/is, you need to keep active mentally and physically, whatever that takes.

I have a friend well and truly retired but bored, he got an interview and got the job this week and starts next Monday. The company welcomed him with open arms, they wanted someone who wasn't more interested in their mobile phones or Facebook etc. They wanted a work ethic and it seems that companies are more and more worried about staff retiring because the stock coming through are bordering on woeful.

You will be valued, and hopefully you can guide the youngsters and teach some life skills because when people like you are gone all that will be left is Google and Facebook :-)

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries

16 Years Retired

We were self employed and knew we would have to retire early. Illness and the nature of the business made that certain.

We spent the last 3 years working flat out, boosting pension funds and making the business fit for sale.

Our accountant advised us to go away and live cheaply for a while before pulling down the pensions. We bought our first MH and set off to overwinter in Spain and Portugal.

It took us 5 years to slow down from the hectic pace of our working life and those 5 years passed in a flash.

Retirement is a privilege that you have earned.... But you don't know how long it will last!

Get off in your van and live the dream.

Today you are the oldest you have ever been and you will never again be as young as you were this morning
    Last edited by Pauljenny; 01-08-2015 at 09:41.
    . Don't count your chickens before you find the hatchet ".!

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    i left england at 43 to tour around africa . i had closed my garage with the intention of reopening in about 5 years time . i had to come back early ,due to family matters and drove trucks through an agency. for a few months . went off in winter with my wife and youngest lad ,(he was 20yr old but had been ill).
    came back drove trucks for 4 months . disappeared in autumn . managed to do that for several years before deciding no driving in summer ,enjoy the british summer . but get away in winter to have eternal summer . almost works . think we may be in summer now but not quite sure.
    there,s always little jobs to do on the house or vehicles . but plenty of time to ride around the country lanes on my m,bike and enjoy this lovely country. i still say other than fuel and beer its cheap. i dont smoke so dont care about fags . uk is a fantastic country . loads of work for those that want it but some lovely places to visit . other countries are nice as well. its just a shame winter in northern europe is so wet n cold . off to the sun is the way. leave your house to the family . they keep it warm enough for them and hopefully dont make too much mess .
    give it a try you may like it . just live a nice simply life and its not expensive here or there . go slow dont race around . visit villages ,keep off m,ways and toll roads .

pj is almost correct but as time goes by you can get more childish every day .i,m about 14yr old now . so you can get younger . ha ha .
    you dont know where you are or where your going .
    but remember being here in 1965 with your parents .
    its changed alot but you remember it well.
    adventure with dementia , wake up in a new place everyday.
    Last edited by vwalan; 01-08-2015 at 09:49.

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauljenny View Post
    We were self employed and knew we would have to retire early. Illness and the nature of the business made that certain.

We spent the last 3 years working flat out, boosting pension funds and making the business fit for sale.

Our accountant advised us to go away and live cheaply for a while before pulling down the pensions. We bought our first MH and set off to overwinter in Spain and Portugal.

It took us 5 years to slow down from the hectic pace of our working life and those 5 years passed in a flash.

Retirement is a privilege that you have earned.... But you don't know how long it will last!

Get off in your van and live the dream.

Today you are the oldest you have ever been and you will never again be as young as you were this morning

Eeh lad Socrates would be proud of you.

Dezi
    Likes - Pauljenny, delicagirl, Tbear liked this post

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    I retired ?? 16 years ago and have never missed work, I believe the Government have metricised ?? time as the days are much shorter than when I was working, I would never have the time to go to work now as the days are far too short. Each to their own of course but not for me hee hee
    Likes - Tbear, antiqueman liked this post

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    Hi Tbear

I think you must do what suits you at the time you retire,I know I did 65 was enough for me after 50 years in the print.
    I buried three good friend's just turned 65 and one 62,none of them drew a penny in pension and left just a big hole for their wife's to get on with.
    I do hope you live to enjoy some sort of retirement but if you want to travel in the Motorhome it gets a lot more expensive to get travel insurance and house cover while your away and you can't tell the grim reaper I need a rethink good luck and fingers crossed.

Regards Snowbirds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbear View Post
    I retire at the end of November this year and my company's Staff Bank have told me that I must have a full 24 hrs off before I return to work. ??? I am also told that I cannot earn more than I did before I retired ??? Have I got this retirement lark all wrong. What's everyone else doing when they first retire. As we will be heading into winter I have agreed to work two mornings a week for the petrol fund for the van in the spring and have a lot of work needed to do on house and garden but then .

Richard
    Likes - delicagirl, Tbear liked this post

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    I retire at the end of November this year and my company's Staff Bank have told me that I must have a full 24 hrs off before I return to work. ??? I am also told that I cannot earn more than I did before I retired ??? Have I got this retirement lark all wrong. What's everyone else doing when they first retire. As we will be heading into winter I have agreed to work two mornings a week for the petrol fund for the van in the spring and have a lot of work needed to do on house and garden but then .

Richard
    Don't leave it too late enjoy it while you can.
    Likes - Tbear liked this post

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    I have mentioned this on another thread but may well be worth saying again. According to insurance stats. If I retire at 65, I can expect to live until to live until I am 66. If I retire at 60, I may well reach 80. Cost the pension fund a few quid

Richard
    I retired at 70. does that mean I'm already dead! It would help to explain the lethargy.
    Colin
    Warning: Definitely contains nuts.
    Likes - snowbirds, kernowprickles liked this post

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information