Compass Castaway 500 LL
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenJ View Post
    I'll plug mine in now whilst I'm thinking about it , thanks wooie

Did it update Steve ?
    You Look Nice Are You The Doctor

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    Just spoke to Garmin UK customer support 0808 238 0000 and they say i just need to put a larger SDHC in and reconnect it to Garmin Express, and it will sort things out

They recommend a 32GB SDHC which i`ve already ordered so when it comes i`ll pop it in and report back.

I must say that Garmin UK customer support has to be the nicest / politest customer support i`ve ever spoken to

He listened carefully to my questions and then answered by talking to me and not at or over me like a lot seem to do these days

My only complaint is that i had to wait 10 minutes in a queue for an adviser

P.S.

There is an update for Garmin Express, go to ................... Settings ( little cog ) > About > Check for Updates to Express

The latest version is 4.1.28.0
    Last edited by Wooie1958; 27-09-2016 at 16:11.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Land Rover Defender XD130 Pulse Ambulance conversion (ex MOD/NATO)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooie1958 View Post
    Just spoke to Garmin UK customer support 0808 238 0000 and they say i just need to put a larger SDHC in and reconnect it to Garmin Express, and it will sort things out

They recommend a 32GB SDHC which i`ve already ordered so when it comes i`ll pop it in and report back.

I must say that Garmin UK customer support has to be the nicest / politest customer support i`ve ever spoken to

He listened carefully to my questions and then answered by talking to me and not at or over me like a lot seem to do these days

My only complaint is that i had to wait 10 minutes in a queue for an adviser

P.S.

There is an update for Garmin Express, go to ................... Settings ( little cog ) > About > Check for Updates to Express

The latest version is 4.1.28.0
    On the one or two occasions I've phoned Garmin's (free) support line I've also found them very helpful. If only all help lines were like this.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve121 View Post
    On the one or two occasions I've phoned Garmin's (free) support line I've also found them very helpful. If only all help lines were like this.

How very true, life would be good

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Elddis Eclipse
    I haven't had time to charge it yet prior to updating , MH starter battery failed as well , tried one of those electronic jump starters and it wasn't up to the task so that's going back.
    Hopefully get satnav charged tomorrow and update it in the evening.

Talking of customer service Amazon were brilliant about returning the jump starter , typed my number into the website , clicked call me and my phone rang instantly , a recorded message said I would be attended to as soon as possible , my computer screen updated informing me I had 1 minute to wait and a very helpful young man on the other end sorted out my problem.
    Very efficient.
    Steve

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Elddis Eclipse
    Fully charged the garmin whilst at work today , plugged into the laptop opened garmin express , clicked a couple of buttons and the update was done in less than an hour. All went sweetly , I was lucky enough to have a spare 32gb card which I popped in first.

I'm guessing that they say no bigger than 32gb because most devices can only read fat32 and apparently it is only stable up to 32gb, later operating systems such as win10 don't even give you the option to format in fat32.

There are 3rd party programs around though that will format large drives / usb / memory cards in fat32 if required , I use one by verbatim called smartdisk fat32 tool.

I only mention it because with the size of these updates we may require larger memory cards in the future and ( call me skeptical ) garmin will probably offer to sell us "specially designed" 64gb cards.
    Steve

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    How did the latest update split the data ?

When i did it with an 8GB card in it put all the 2.51GB update onto the Internal Storage which put it back into the red

It left the Memory Card alone and is still only half full and showing a healthy blue.

Apparently if i put a 32GB card in and reinstall the map it will split it better i.e. more evenly.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Elddis Eclipse
    I have 2gb free on the internal and 22.5gb free on sd card
    Steve

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    Cheers Steve

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast