CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This might be of interest to coarse anglers.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Robmac View Post
    By the way Andy. If you are not familiar with it already, get a copy of 'The Secret Carp' by Chris Yates.

Great book.
    I have just been given some carp gear off my dad, sadly he cant see. I have never fished for one in my life I prefer pike fishing lure only , or sea fishing off the beach .

As a young boy I fished the Trent at Hazleford not far from Southwell, When we moved to Doncaster Stockworth and River Idle on occasions. I Have somewhere a "trent float" made from a swans quill, When my Dad was young his next door neighbour was well known on the Trent and made his own floats well known for it by all accounts.

I have a load of pike and predator magazines you are welcome too next time you are passing West Yorks, if you want them

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master PVC
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    I have just been given some carp gear off my dad, sadly he cant see. I have never fished for one in my life I prefer pike fishing lure only , or sea fishing off the beach .

As a young boy I fished the Trent at Hazleford not far from Southwell, When we moved to Doncaster Stockworth and River Idle on occasions. I Have somewhere a "trent float" made from a swans quill, When my Dad was young his next door neighbour was well known on the Trent and made his own floats well known for it by all accounts.

I have a load of pike and predator magazines you are welcome too next time you are passing West Yorks, if you want them

Channa
    Thanks Andy, but I've probably got them, much to Julie's dismay!

I used to fish a lot on the Trent at Thrumpton and quite a bit at Swarkestone amongst other places. Being a Loughborough lad, I also fished the river Soar a lot which is a large tributary of the Trent. I also used to make my own floats either from quills, or a thin stick with some carefully sanded balsa around it. Usually painted with my sister's nail varnish!

Used a lot of quills for 'Stret Pegging' on the Trent, or sticks for 'Long Trotting', later replace by wire stemmed sticks which were also very good.

Certainly takes me back...
    God bless Colonel Sanders. Marvellous man!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    Loch Awe has some large pike but is heavily fished and a bit overrated imo. Get Jim to take you to the river Clyde at Thankerton near Biggar. Lean mean fast flowing river pike that fight like hell, unlike any lazy loch pike.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master PVC
    Quote Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
    Loch Awe has some large pike but is heavily fished and a bit overrated imo. Get Jim to take you to the river Clyde at Thankerton near Biggar. Lean mean fast flowing river pike that fight like hell, unlike any lazy loch pike.
    I agree about the river Pike. Go like torpedoes sometimes!

Loch Awe is a spectacular place to drink though.

Did I say drink? I meant fish.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    I agree about the river Pike. Go like torpedoes sometimes!

Loch Awe is a spectacular place to drink though.

Did I say drink? I meant fish.
    I have to admit Rob there does seem an obsession with weights, and you get a lot this time of year fishing as the females are going into spawn.

I enjoys a jack pike , nice summers day not freezing me bits off on the lure. Some really fight to the extent they worry me a touch that they don't over do it.

20lb I think is classed as a specimen fish ...If I have had one only the one... I once caught one at Warping Drain that flows into the Trent no idea of the weight I had no scales but I had a tape measure and she was 35 and 3/4 inches in length. Put her back thought no more of it.

Following Sunday fishing again and this lad said can you take a picture of me and my fish....Produces a pike ,,It was 23 lbs and measured 42 inches same stretch of water . So was mine 20 lbs ? I don't know but must have been close.

This thread is reminding me why I need the van back on the road !!

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master PVC
    I've never had a twenty Andy.

In all of the years I have fished (since I was a toddler), the biggest Pike I can boast was 14lb.

I'm usually more of a Tench, Carp and especially Barbel fisherman, although switching to Pike this year for a change. But like you, I am not obsessed with weights, unless it is really special.

I once caught a 9lb Eel. Knowing that the record was only just over 11lb, I thought I would have a little look at this fish! Whilst the scales were bouncing around at about the 9lb mark, the blimmin thing made a desperate lunge and got out of the weigh net. Despite my mate diving on top of it, it managed to slip out from under him (as Eels do) and slink back into the water. It would have been definite 'Angling Times' material, not that I would have wanted that or gone that way!

Apart from that, I have only really weighed one other fish carefully, and that was a Barbel of 11lb 12 oz.

I much prefer the look of a fish rather than it's weight. Sometimes the taste too!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    I've never had a twenty Andy.

In all of the years I have fished (since I was a toddler), the biggest Pike I can boast was 14lb.

I'm usually more of a Tench, Carp and especially Barbel fisherman, although switching to Pike this year for a change. But like you, I am not obsessed with weights, unless it is really special.

I once caught a 9lb Eel. Knowing that the record was only just over 11lb, I thought I would have a little look at this fish! Whilst the scales were bouncing around at about the 9lb mark, the blimmin thing made a desperate lunge and got out of the weigh net. Despite my mate diving on top of it, it managed to slip out from under him (as Eels do) and slink back into the water. It would have been definite 'Angling Times' material, not that I would have wanted that or gone that way!

Apart from that, I have only really weighed one other fish carefully, and that was a Barbel of 11lb 12 oz.

I much prefer the look of a fish rather than it's weight. Sometimes the taste too!
    Specimen eel for sure I would think. I don't like them that much tbh ....foul lines and all sorts ....bar stewards of fish world although remarkable animals so I wouldn't hurt one.

I have never caught a barbel , I fancy a go I am told the "Mike Tysons " of the fish world they fight that hard.!! Not far from you long cut , mid cut ? do they call it for the zander apparently make pike look pussy cats.

Given a choice I think I would still prefer beach casting, and eat the dividends !!...........Mappleton is one of my favourite spots easy to get to and the fella that owns the angling shop in Hornsea is a decent fella , Honestly tells you what is happening. I bought a Shakespeare Silver Surf 4.5 metre rod I can can a bit of distance on .My casting is overhead thump lol.

Of course sometimes the fish are in close.......Just do with a cod or couple of dabs

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master PVC
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    Specimen eel for sure I would think. I don't like them that much tbh ....foul lines and all sorts ....bar stewards of fish world although remarkable animals so I wouldn't hurt one.

I have never caught a barbel , I fancy a go I am told the "Mike Tysons " of the fish world they fight that hard.!! Not far from you long cut , mid cut ? do they call it for the zander apparently make pike look pussy cats.

Given a choice I think I would still prefer beach casting, and eat the dividends !!...........Mappleton is one of my favourite spots easy to get to and the fella that owns the angling shop in Hornsea is a decent fella , Honestly tells you what is happening. I bought a Shakespeare Silver Surf 4.5 metre rod I can can a bit of distance on .My casting is overhead thump lol.

Of course sometimes the fish are in close.......Just do with a cod or couple of dabs

Channa
    Very few Eels about these days Andy. Getting critical in fact.

The cuts you refer too, I think are the Fenland Drains, or Channels. Yes, riddled with Zander, as is the marina where I keep my boat. Never caught one though.

Barbel go like trains! They are unbelievably powerful, even the small ones. They fight to exhaustion and often have to be nursed in the water before releasing, and if that means standing up to your waist at 2 in the morning cradling a fish back and forth for 20 minutes, then so be it.

I like a fish for the pot, either beach casting, boat fishing or flyfishing. I plan to do much more this year.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Very few Eels about these days Andy. Getting critical in fact.

The cuts you refer too, I think are the Fenland Drains, or Channels. Yes, riddled with Zander, as is the marina where I keep my boat. Never caught one though.

Barbel go like trains! They are unbelievably powerful, even the small ones. They fight to exhaustion and often have to be nursed in the water before releasing, and if that means standing up to your waist at 2 in the morning cradling a fish back and forth for 20 minutes, then so be it.

I like a fish for the pot, either beach casting, boat fishing or flyfishing. I plan to do much more this year.
    I didn't know that about the eels. remarkable species quite happy to traverse land by all accounts. I used to fish a pond at Thorpe Marsh power station (long gone) and I never saw one but in Pike and predator magazine specimen sizes in there.

Everything folded when the power station closed beautiful place manicured gardens etc. I got annoyed with the baliff encouraging to knock pike on the head I never did I think the world is far more interesting with Esox in it ...truth be known possibly only take weak fish

I used to fish ( without permission naughty channa) a pond which originally belonged to International Harvesters and they abandoned it , full of tench ....bit of sweetcorn and boy could they make a reel scream. Straight for the weeds a canny fish if ever there was. One of those locations unless you know the area intimately no one knew the pond existed. Some beautiful Perch in there too.

It was a pond where the fish were hungry if that makes sense

Re nursing exhausted fish I have had it with Jacks they just don't give up. Tail walking the full show..I would rather have a dry day than one be hurt. Fight another day little fella and tell your Grandma I want her !!!

I have never fly fished and wouldn't know where to start ...but a little tale re Warping Drain ......I was fishing one day and baliff collared me all legal so no worries ...then I see natrix natrix ( grass snake ) crossing the drain. Respectfully told him to shut up and keep still. ..anyway my little snake pal crossed the drain and got tired ....He /she rested its head on a water lily leaf regained its composure had a breather ...and set off again beautiful to watch... and boy can they swim hit the bank and gone...I love it banging my lure away, and all of a sudden a blue dart ...yep Kingfishers ....that makes my day catching a fish is a bonus

Fantastic and priceless to see...I guess we fish a throwback to the hunter gatherer thing ...but sometimes not about the fishing but the experience.

I am tempted to have a go again

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master PVC
    Often see Grass Snakes in our River too Andy. I believe Adders are not so keen on water?

Kingfishers too, I have even had one perched on my rod before now! There are Otters in our river also, I have only seen them once, but beautiful sight. Also, even though we are about 60 miles inland, we have a regular visit from a Seal, sometimes with pups. Indeed a privilege!

I was gutted one night whilst Barbel fishing, I missed the chance of an award winning photo, had I been able to capture it right.

As the huge orange sun was going down behind the opposite bank to where I fished, a Fox walked straight in front of it and showed as a fantastic silhouette with the sun directly behind it. I dived for my camera but alas, too late.

You're right, sometimes the fish just don't matter!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information