CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: This might be of interest to coarse anglers.

  1. #1

    Member Number
    60043
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,602
    Motorhome
    Renault Trafic

    This might be of interest to coarse anglers.



    CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I have used the information about a few of the lochs local to me and I thought some of you pikers might find it of interest.

    Bathymetrical Survey of the Fresh-Water Lochs of Scotland, 1897-1909 - Maps - National Library of Scotland

  2. #2

    Member Number
    21925
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    16,154
    Location
    Wyboston
    Motorhome
    Renault Master PVC
    Quote Originally Posted by Auld Pharrrt View Post
    I have used the information about a few of the lochs local to me and I thought some of you pikers might find it of interest.

    Bathymetrical Survey of the Fresh-Water Lochs of Scotland, 1897-1909 - Maps - National Library of Scotland
    That is indeed of interest to me Ron.

    Thanks.
    God bless Colonel Sanders. Marvellous man!

  3. #3

    Member Number
    6231
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,200
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Loch Lomand did (still does?) hold the British record for a pike mid 1930's.

    I used to fish a lot for pike, jerkbait rod and springdawg lures...

    As me wondering what is in the Calder may have a dabble

    Channa

  4. #4

    Member Number
    21925
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    16,154
    Location
    Wyboston
    Motorhome
    Renault Master PVC
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    Loch Lomand did (still does?) hold the British record for a pike mid 1930's.

    I used to fish a lot for pike, jerkbait rod and springdawg lures...

    As me wondering what is in the Calder may have a dabble

    Channa
    I don't think it was ever held from Loch Lomond Andy?

    I believe it is currently held from Llandegfedd in Wales, and before that Neville Fickling held it from the broads. Prior to that it goes back to 1822 and was set in Staffordshire. (Had to Google that!).

    EDIT: Having said all that, it appears that a Scottish record of 47lbs 11oz was caught in 1947, so why this isn't the British record I'm not sure, perhaps not authenticated? Probably because the Record Fish Committee used to need to see the fish, which would have meant killing it and presenting it to them, which some people , quite rightly, refuse to do.
    God bless Colonel Sanders. Marvellous man!

  5. #5

    Member Number
    32936
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,195
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    There was a pikes skull found on the banks of the river Endrick and was estimated to be around the 70lbs mark. Lots of remote lochs in Scotland with huge pike. Arkaig is one of them.

  6. #6

    Member Number
    21925
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    16,154
    Location
    Wyboston
    Motorhome
    Renault Master PVC
    Quote Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
    There was a pikes skull found on the banks of the river Endrick and was estimated to be around the 70lbs mark. Lots of remote lochs in Scotland with huge pike. Arkaig is one of them.
    The famous Endrick Pike! A similar size skull was found in Oxfordshire recently, although it was estimated to only weigh 40 something pounds.

    Me and big Jim are fishing Loch Awe for Pike shortly, some big old kippers in there!
    God bless Colonel Sanders. Marvellous man!

  7. #7

    Member Number
    6231
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,200
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Strangely enough Rob, Neville Fickling I buy my lures from or did he has/had a shop in Gainsborough, I didn't think he had beaten the record. Still not chased old esox for a while.

    Two old guys reckon Dunham Bridge on the Trent could yield a record some big uns there apparently

    Channa

  8. #8

    Member Number
    21925
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    16,154
    Location
    Wyboston
    Motorhome
    Renault Master PVC
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    Strangely enough Rob, Neville Fickling I buy my lures from or did he has/had a shop in Gainsborough, I didn't think he had beaten the record. Still not chased old esox for a while.

    Two old guys reckon Dunham Bridge on the Trent could yield a record some big uns there apparently

    Channa
    It's a strange one Andy. He broke the record in 1985 but only held it briefly. A little googling shows it being broken many times since, so I am out of touch.

    It all went a bit pear shaped when Chris Yates, who I have drank with many times, smashed the Carp record but wouldn't kill the fish to present to the record fish committee. He was backed up by Richard Walker (hero of mine) who was the previous record holder, and a second committee was formed and eventually his record was accepted.

    Unfortunately nowadays, so much high protein bait goes into the water, fed by Carp anglers, that we are now seeing pot-bellied fish of all types, and records are going all the time. I love Tench fishing, but hate to see the pneumatic looking fish that come out of some waters these days. Very sad.

    I used to fish the Trent regularly, had some great days catching Chub, even the odd Barbel appeared, although they are much more common now.
    God bless Colonel Sanders. Marvellous man!

  9. #9

    Member Number
    21925
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    16,154
    Location
    Wyboston
    Motorhome
    Renault Master PVC
    By the way Andy. If you are not familiar with it already, get a copy of 'The Secret Carp' by Chris Yates.

    Great book.
    God bless Colonel Sanders. Marvellous man!

  10. #10

    Member Number
    37216
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,465
    Motorhome
    VW T4 Villa XL High Top
    Quote Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
    There was a pikes skull found on the banks of the river Endrick and was estimated to be around the 70lbs mark. Lots of remote lochs in Scotland with huge pike. Arkaig is one of them.
    I learnt to swim in the river Endrick & one of its tributaries flowed through our back garden. We actually had trout in our back garden.
    =^..^=

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •