CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tinned foods dilemma

Member Number
    Motorhome
    swift

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    If you really can't use it, put it outside, local moggies will love you, and maybe the odd fox. Shame to just bin it.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger
    same here,any food we can't use- cooking that's gone wrong, well out of date stuff, twice cooked meaty things etc, i chuck it over the fence by the bramble bush for the rats badgers weasels and birds etc. always gone by the next day
    Last edited by n brown; 20-03-2017 at 23:50.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Rapido
    well did have some tins of tuna that where past the date they where ok di have tin of tomatoes from out of the attic that was 2 years out of date they looked and tasted ok teach me to pack kitchen stuff with the right labels
    photos are up in members chat from orkney

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    You could always donate them to the less fortunate and hard done by members of our glorious forum ................... they live down south
    You Look Nice Are You The Doctor

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Majestic 175
    Omg, as the youngster's say, I thought I was the only one, for once on exercise with the RE in the early 80's we were given war rations, I swear you could have built a bailey bridge from the biscuits. This thread has brought back a memory I had long forgotten!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Elddis Accordo
    I opened a tin of tomatoes the other week that were ten years out of date, tasted a little bit metallic but were ok otherwise. Corned beef doesn't go metallic tasting as its too dry to soak up the metal taste. You've got to watch fish though, I had a rancid fish smell in the cupboard a couple of years ago and it turned out to be pilchards rotting in a tin due to the soldered seem failing.

Pauljenny is offline INTERNATIONAL PLAYBOY
    Name: erm?
    Spouse: Management, ?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Indigo
    Quote Originally Posted by n brown View Post
    before my dishonourable discharge i was also in the army cadets and some of those ancient rations were really tasty. and a free tin opener in every one !
    try soaking the labels off and eating the contents with the lights out- hours of fun !
    At the risk of going off topic...
    How many of us wildcampers were in the Army Cadets? .
    I ended up as a bombadier, who could fire a Bren gun, lay a 25 pounder and run a cookhouse .

What I could do with mess tins, packet soups and compo rations!
    Maybe it was this experience that makes us the awkward s0ds that we have turned out to be.
    Last edited by Pauljenny; 21-03-2017 at 10:22. Reason: predicted tosh
    To the pure in mind, all things are pure

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master PVC
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauljenny View Post
    I ended up as a bombadier, who could fire a Bren gun, lay a 25 pounder and run a cookhouse .

Maybe it was this experience that makes us the awkward s0ds that we have turned out to be.
    I fired the Bren, SLR, SMG, GPMG and of course the 303. I even got to fire a bazooka once!

I drove a Chieftan tank and a Saladin armoured car as well as a DUKW.

I got to go on a demolitions course where we were allowed to blow up an old Oak tree with PE. (It launched upwards like Apollo 13!). I also went on a booby trap course, which was scary.

Being allowed to shoot things and blow stuff up is a right of passage. And who could forget the songs on the way to camp! ('Dinah, Dinah show us yer legs...', 'Royal Marines' etc.)
    God bless Colonel Sanders. Marvellous man!

Pauljenny is offline INTERNATIONAL PLAYBOY
    Name: erm?
    Spouse: Management, ?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Indigo
    Quote Originally Posted by Robmac View Post
    I fired the Bren, SLR, SMG, GPMG and of course the 303. I even got to fire a bazooka once!

I drove a Chieftan tank and a Saladin armoured car as well as a DUKW.

I got to go on a demolitions course where we were allowed to blow up an old Oak tree with PE. (It launched upwards like Apollo 13!). I also went on a booby trap course, which was scary.

Being allowed to shoot things and blow stuff up is a right of passage. And who could forget the songs on the way to camp! ('Dinah, Dinah show us yer legs...', 'Royal Marines' etc.)
    Oh! Stop it!
    I'll be singing" T'was on a bridge at midnight" and the Yankee, " Sound off" and " The Nanny goat's back ".
    To the pure in mind, all things are pure

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Eura Mobil Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauljenny View Post

I started my army career at 15 yrs old in the JLRRE, or otherwise know as a FRED, which stands for First Royal Engineers Dover.
    My wife was TA Scaley when we first met, she used to live off army rations, had a cupboard full of cheese possessed and biscuits HB, she certainly knew how to cook with it.
    The best bit of kit in the rations was the can opener.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information