CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tinned foods dilemma

Member Number:

Tinned foods dilemma

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Today I have emptied my tins cupboard and have about 15 of various foods that are just past there date on the tin as it does not say use by or best before I cannot eat them my head will not let me neurotic I know but do I bin them or is it cheeky or insulting to take them to my local food bank if I won't eat them why should I think others will.
    Rock bottom is the firm foundation i rebuilt my life on. J k Rowlings

Member Number:
    This might help Annie, there is a volunteers comments on there;

Do food banks accept expired food? - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums
    Adventure before...... something or other.
    Likes - campervanannie liked this post

Member Number:
    Quote Originally Posted by campervanannie View Post
    Today I have emptied my tins cupboard and have about 15 of various foods that are just past there date on the tin as it does not say use by or best before I cannot eat them my head will not let me neurotic I know but do I bin them or is it cheeky or insulting to take them to my local food bank if I won't eat them why should I think others will.
    I suspect IF you can get it past the date Nazis Of some of the food bank organisations....
    most hungry folks are less bothered about dates on food than whether it is actually unfit for consumption...

It's tinned food unless it's practically rusted out of the can then it'll be fine....
    it's going to be heated through thoroughly anyway....

Get it eaten and stop wasting money.... Glug of vodka/whisky with it if you're really worried will do the job ;-)
    Likes - campervanannie, ricc, Justjack, mandrake, mikigough liked this post

Member Number:
    Dover 2 miles from Docks and 6 from the tunnel
    Tins of food have a huge life on them unless they are damaged, they will outlast you if OK. The dates on the tins are a guide for retailers to circulate the stock. There are cans in Antarctica from the Scott Expedition . You could give them away but why waste them. Unless there are 1943 28lbs size tins of bully beef and that was only because they were bad before packing. So much good food is thrown away in this country because of these dates. People at work used to throw my dinner out in packaging because it ran out of, best by date, in a few days time. Hadn't got there yet.. They are just too precious nowadays. We have noses to tell us food is going off. Indians just add curry powder to mask it.
    Likes - campervanannie, ricc, Justjack liked this post

Member Number:
    I've often eaten stuff which is well past it's use by date.

The simple fact is though, the food banks will not accept it, as it said in the link, not even one day over.
    Likes - campervanannie liked this post

Member Number:
    Incidentally Annie. Rae and I were chatting the other night, and it turns out we were both in the army cadets when we were youngsters in the 1970's.

The 'compo' rations (tinned) we were given on exercises were from the 1940's. Dates didn't matter back then!
    Likes - trevskoda, jeanette, Hondaboy liked this post

Member Number:
    Most of the tins are dated Nov 2016 but it's fish well some of it is tuna salmon and pilchards the rest is Beans peas and Heinz soups .
    Rock bottom is the firm foundation i rebuilt my life on. J k Rowlings

Member Number:
    Quote Originally Posted by campervanannie View Post
    One of the things I have seen on some packaging is best before dates, but when is the final do not eat date?

Member Number:
    When it climbs out of the tin on its own ?
    Likes - ricc, Hondaboy, time4t, kernowprickles liked this post

Member Number:
    before my dishonourable discharge i was also in the army cadets and some of those ancient rations were really tasty. and a free tin opener in every one !
    try soaking the labels off and eating the contents with the lights out- hours of fun !

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information