CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do they think they are going to do?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    fiat ducato silver wanderer

What do they think they are going to do?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    As per the title!
    What do you think they are? Animals?
    No indication about the lock, only it was cut?
    What a OVER reaction from he head teacher, maybe she needs to see more of life!
    These people who lockdown a school because these traveling folk park in the playing field!
    Yes not ideal.
    But is it such a TREAT?
    As Wildcampers how far removed from these travelares are we?
    Travellers pitch up on school playing field in Crawley - BBC News
    Please comment as I am sure you will.
    John

chrismilo is offline Full Member
    Name: Chris
    Spouse: Looking Again

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vauxhall movano
    Not an unusual site or Event for Sussex

Member Number
    Motorhome
    mitsubishi canter mini artic
    i like being a traveller . when i grow up i want to be a gypsie. my mate wants to be a tramp when he grows up.
    at the moment we just dress the part.
    i do use a living van , comes under the same rules for us as a showmen.
    cant beat a night or two with the foreign gypsies or showmen when abroad . great times have been had.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger
    what people don't understand , they fear, and what they fear, they hate, nothing to do with logic, purely atavistic
    same old same old
    works both ways

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance 590RL
    The school would be damned if they did and damned if they did nothing, if something had happened to a pupil, and lets face it, it happens, what then? The fact that they broke a padlock to get in makes them different, from me at least, I tend to respect other peoples property and would have taken that as I wasn't wanted on their land, no matter who it belonged to.

Member Number
    Perhaps the travellers heard that Rolf had been evicted from jail today, and were just taking their kids to a place of safety.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Tribute 715
    "They did not know it was school land", Look at the picture, if they had turned around they would ha spotted the big school like building.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger
    just imagine though, if that headmistress had been brave enough , or foolhardy enough, to send out a contingent of schoolkids with a bit of a questionnaire maybe, to engage with the interlopers and find out something about them that they wouldn't get from tv, books, or their elders' opinions . perhaps that's not newsworthy enough

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Self-build
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkieowl View Post
    The school would be damned if they did and damned if they did nothing, if something had happened to a pupil, and lets face it, it happens, what then? The fact that they broke a padlock to get in makes them different, from me at least, I tend to respect other peoples property and would have taken that as I wasn't wanted on their land, no matter who it belonged to.
    Yep. The head teacher has to answer to both her bosses and the parents. Some of whom will kick off if little Johnny so much as scrapes his knee, let alone ends up in a field with unsecured gas cylinders and people driving around in vehicles.

I have a slightly different take to some on the travelling communities based on personal experience of them threatening people with violence in one area I lived in on a regular basis, and the police not stepping in. Not that I'd apply that to all, but I'd also certainly not paint them all as lovely innocent types that locals are simply overreacting to either.

I mean, it's a well maintained field that's mown short, is secured by a padlocked gate and fence, and is immediately adjacent to a school - would anyone here think that was a reasonable place to pitch up, during school hours?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacar and a Rimor K Max
    Did anyone watch channel 5's 'Can't Pay, We Will Take It Away' which is about High Court enforcement officers? One programme showed two officers serving notice on a group of travellers who were illegally parked on a Luton [I think it was] car park. The officers were extremely polite and courteous carrying out the High Courts notice, at no point were they threatening or disrespectful.
    The officers had a Range Rover driven at them, bottles thrown at them, abuse hurled at them and the travellers feral children were encouraged to throw rocks at them. The officers van was damaged and the windscreen broken, the officers themselves were having to dodge the rocks thrown from quite close quarters. The travellers left only after the police arrived.

Izzy and I booked a meal at the Rose and Crown in Bainbridge, Yorkshire last year, this was the day after travellers, who were camped all over the village green, had moved on. The landlady told us that the previous night some of the travellers had been drinking in her pub, she rang last orders, at which point four of the travellers quite casually went around the back of the bar and took every bottle of spirits then walked out. The police told her there was nothing they could do because of blah blah blah.

At my auction house, we had travellers come into the antique centre, whilst the staff were busy keeping an eye on one group, another group were stealing watches and jewellery from two cabinets. This happened twice in one week and the cost of the stolen items was in excess of a 1000. How do we know they were travellers? They were illegally parked on our car park for two days, they then moved onto a field further down the road where they were joined by another dozen vans or so. Again, the police could do nothing blah blah, blah, and this was despite cctv footage, albeit, pretty crap.

Brian Smith in the following link is a family friend Tomney family from Cleveleys jailed for driveway fraud - BBC News

The travellers mentioned above were not the cuddly dread locked, tie dyed vest, tree hugging, festival going Glastonbury dope smoking types, who drive round in self builds and who want to save the planet. The above were of Irish extraction, they used to be referred to as Tinkers or Gypsy's, a totally different type of traveller. It is this type of traveller who I have no time for, who have no respect for those outside of their community, who have no respect for social norms, who have no respect for other peoples property and flout the law that most of us, sometimes grudgingly, abide by.

No wonder the headmistress of the school in question reacted like she did, after all, she has a duty of care regarding the school children.

I have posted just four cases and I have no wish to label ALL tinkers/gypsy's/travellers with the same brush. But, it's bloody hard not to.
    The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information