grath is offline Full Member
    Name: Graham
    Spouse: Kathleen

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B654 SL Star Edition 3 Ltr, 4500kg

Learner Drivers to have Motorway lessons

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Learner drivers are to have motorway lessons!
    I think it is a bad idea!
    Imagine a learner not filtering properly and a 44ton artic bounding down, when the learner driver pulls out at 30 mph
    There are many more scenario's as half of the instructors have no idea about heavy trucks
    Motorway lessons for learner drivers confirmed for 2018 - BBC News
    Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine
    Graham+Kath = Grath

Member Number
    Motorhome
    transit lwb semi high panal van
    the motorway stops at exeter... where are the cornish going to get motorway lessons?

whats the actual practical difference between a motorway and a dual carriagway a road.? if anything mway is easier cos trucks aint allowed in lane 3

imho sounds like a lot of winging from city dwellers who have a panic attack when they get above 20mph or dont have a bumper to follow.

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by grath View Post
    Learner drivers are to have motorway lessons!
    I think it is a bad idea!
    Imagine a learner not filtering properly and a 44ton artic bounding down, when the learner driver pulls out at 30 mph
    ]
    I expect thats the reasoning behind the need for the lessons to avoid this happening and HGV drivers will like everyone else have to allow for learner drivers

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    All a bit of a double edged sword, For the majority of the UK we have a situation a young person can pass their driving test and next thing let loose on the fastest roads with no tuition . Arguably that is madness ?

When I passed my driving test my instructor took me on a motorway for a bit of orientation , I already held a bike licence so the difference in acceleration was the interesting part. Of course various parts of Northern Scotland, Cornwall miles away from a motorway so a standardised test seems unpractical.

Anything which improves safety and educates must be applauded.

Channa

grath is offline Full Member
    Name: Graham
    Spouse: Kathleen

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B654 SL Star Edition 3 Ltr, 4500kg
    Quote Originally Posted by witzend View Post
    I expect thats the reasoning behind the need for the lessons to avoid this happening and HGV drivers will like everyone else have to allow for learner drivers
    The trouble is, that it is too late when it happens, and I can see more trucks hogging the middle lane to keep out of the way of learner drivers entering the M way!
    I do think everybody needs to be tolerant to learner drivers and not rush them along, but having a slow vehicle pull out infront of a fully laden truck is no fun for the trucker.
    I had this happen on the M25 when my truck was fully loaded with petrol chemicals. A car came down the slip rd and stopped, then pulled out from a standstill!Yes a standstill, when my truck was only a couple hundred yards away and all lanes were full!
    Luckily, a transit van driver who was in the middle lane alongside my truck did see what happened and braked sharply, giving me room to swerve out!
    If the car had filtered, as I was expecting, there would have been no problem!
    I think that many car drivers including instructors, just do not understand truck stopping distances!
    I am not saying I am perfect, far from it and I am not as good a driver as I once was, but my experience does give me an advantage of anticipation similar to many people who have been driving for years and years!
    Why can't they make it compulsory, after they have passed their test and include in the test filtering onto dual carriageways!
    edit
    And if the truckers move out a lane, this will move the cars out one lane and reduce the number of usable lanes. I am not saying this will happen all along the M way, but I can see it happening in places.
    Anyway, this is just my two pence worth and there are many permutations, others will undoubtably have differing opinions, and I am not going to defend my position and take the thread into similar to him who will remain nameless!
    Last edited by grath; 13-08-2017 at 09:07.
    Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine
    Graham+Kath = Grath

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Vantage Neo
    Can only be a good thing. Imagine having folk on a motorway who actually know how to drive properly

Member Number
    The motorways around London are far too busy.

We were rammed sideways by a Romanian HGV on the M4 just before the M25. (Romanian insurance company then went bust)

Roads around here are very busy and very dangerous, just watch driving in India on the tv to see what it is like.

2015-03-06 13.30.32.jpg2015-03-06 13.12.31.jpg2015-03-06 13.30.37.jpg

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master PVC
    Maybe compulsory motorway lessons AFTER passing the test would be a better idea?
    God bless Colonel Sanders. Marvellous man!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    The proposal is for dual control cars only, so we're not talking about little jimmy in the car with his dad.
    I would hazard a guess that any driving instructor that values his own life will not be taking a pupil on the motorway until he thinks them fit to do so.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger
    i always thought there should be another test , or at least a few compulsory lessons, to teach how to merge at speed, how to use the different lanes, and why cars have indicators
    of all the bodily functions that could be contagious
    thank god it's only the yawn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information