Spouse: Looking Again

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vauxhall movano

Sterling power

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi all had my b2b 1260 since January this year
    It's packed up not charging anymore in fact seems to be discharging
    Sent it back to sterling droitwich with a cover note name address fault ECT having spent time with there technical dept on the phone asked to send it back sent copy of purchase receipt too rang them oh needed software update fine we'll return it they managed to put the wrong postcode on the parcel after 3days I rang sterling where is it oh it's was sent 3days ago they then sorted that it arrived back 2days later
    Not working NOT even the same unit as mine had a broken fixing lug
    Rang them this morning the woman never had a clue what I was on about explained I'd reinstalled it done 20miles up the dual carriageway and back at 70mph only for it to measure output of 8.7 volt input 14.2 ok !
    I'm so annoyed at a so called reputable company my next move is to drive the 180 miles each way to pay them a visit
    Excuse to have a mini wilding trip too
    Name and shame
    And they never ring back when they say I have to chase them up I said to the girl on the phone oh Charles will be pleased oh who's that she replied ! Well I never
    Likes Alf liked this post

shawbags Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismilo View Post
    Hi all had my b2b 1260 since January this year
    It's packed up not charging anymore in fact seems to be discharging
    Sent it back to sterling droitwich with a cover note name address fault ECT having spent time with there technical dept on the phone asked to send it back sent copy of purchase receipt too rang them oh needed software update fine we'll return it they managed to put the wrong postcode on the parcel after 3days I rang sterling where is it oh it's was sent 3days ago they then sorted that it arrived back 2days later
    Not working NOT even the same unit as mine had a broken fixing lug
    Rang them this morning the woman never had a clue what I was on about explained I'd reinstalled it done 20miles up the dual carriageway and back at 70mph only for it to measure output of 8.7 volt input 14.2 ok !
    I'm so annoyed at a so called reputable company my next move is to drive the 180 miles each way to pay them a visit
    Excuse to have a mini wilding trip too
    Name and shame
    And they never ring back when they say I have to chase them up I said to the girl on the phone oh Charles will be pleased oh who's that she replied ! Well I never
    I know what you mean about annoying , there doesn't seem to be anyone who gives a genuinely good service these days without some hiccup , have you tried emailing them as it's always better to put things in writing, I know how you feel about driving down to them and giving them a round of f@?ks I have felt the same in the past , as I said email them and see what happens, good luck .
    Likes chrismilo liked this post
    Thanks chrismilo thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    I had a Sterling BB1250, bought secondhand through ebay, that was faulty on arrival. The seller refused to accept that it was faulty, and ebay refunded the money. I sent it back, but the courier was unable to deliver and returned it to me.

I bought another instead. Fitted that, all was well.

Then a couple of years later, that stopped working.

I got in touch with Sterling Power, who said both were out of guarantee, but they'd look at them if I paid the carriage cost. I found their support man really helpful and he clearly knew what he was talking about.

A few days later the two units were returned to me (and they were the ones I had sent). Both were fixed, although the second one was not right, and a few months later some of its magic smoke escaped. You can never get magic smoke back in, so I put it aside for spares.

The first one seemingly had a couple of dry joints on the circuit board, which were a manufacturing defect. No wonder it wouldn't work for me! But that has been working for a few years now. Seems fine.

They tell me that the BB1250 is a very reliable unit, and of the many thousands they have sold, less than a dozen have been reported faulty.
    Likes Tezza33 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Would not be arced,fit a big relay 200ah with big battery terms ,6 .
    If you have a smart alt just use a dash switch to turn on when driving,old type alt wire to red light dash wire.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by trevskoda; 19-10-2017 at 20:20.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes harrow, chrismilo liked this post
    Thanks chrismilo thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    Would not be arced,fit a big relay 200ah with big battery terms ,6 .
    If you have a smart alt just use a dash switch to turn on when driving,old type alt wire to red light dash wire.
    Do that and drive along for a bit, then your engine battery will be nicely charged sitting at 14.4v. Switch the switch and suddenly it is connected to the aux bank which is at 12.2v.
    A huge unregulated current goes from the engine battery into the aux bank. What could possibly go wrong?
    Likes FULL TIMER, AuldTam, chrismilo liked this post
    Thanks Noddy thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Sprinter
    If you have a smart alternator, what are the options? B2B, Trevs solution, any others? Pros & cons would be handy too

Just about to upgrade mine, had settled on a B2B, of course I'm open to other ideas.

I'm still not exactly sure how the B2B chargers work.

It would appear my main battery only charges when I lift off throttle. In practice that does seem to charge all batteries fully on normal A roads, etc. Perhaps not on the occasions where I'm on motorways all day.

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    Do that and drive along for a bit, then your engine battery will be nicely charged sitting at 14.4v. Switch the switch and suddenly it is connected to the aux bank which is at 12.2v.
    A huge unregulated current goes from the engine battery into the aux bank. What could possibly go wrong?
    Blow the fuse ?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    Dam all as it will eq out .
    The alt will regulate it somewhere between the two and bring both up to level of at top around 13.7 to 14.4
    Last edited by trevskoda; 20-10-2017 at 16:46.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by harrow View Post
    Blow the fuse ?
    No fuse in mine from factory,the i ties invented eliktrickery so they must be right.
    Only dirty people wash
    Thanks harrow thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto sleeper nuevo
    Quote Originally Posted by mark61 View Post
    If you have a smart alternator, what are the options? B2B, Trevs solution, any others? Pros & cons would be handy too

Just about to upgrade mine, had settled on a B2B, of course I'm open to other ideas.

I'm still not exactly sure how the B2B chargers work.

It would appear my main battery only charges when I lift off throttle. In practice that does seem to charge all batteries fully on normal A roads, etc. Perhaps not on the occasions where I'm on motorways all day.
    I have leisure batterys charging problems,I have a voltmeter plugged into dash 12 volt socket, voltage can vary between 12 -15 V when driving. My on-board . Battery charger charge's both batterys .so after a few days on hook up my engine battery is over charged.so my voltmeter reads 12.0 volts when the engine is running so nothing is being charged until the engine ECU decides to increase the voltage .and the voltmeter slowly increases to 14.4 then increases and decreases going up and down hills.clever stuff but no good for charging leisure battery and plays havoc with the 12 v fridge . voltmeter on e bay for a few quid.
    Likes trevskoda, mark61 liked this post

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information