CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hovel or derelict or just simple dwelling wanted

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Halfords dome tent 15

Hovel or derelict or just simple dwelling wanted

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Keep looking for something really simple ideally with a bit of land , if anyone sees something that looks like a nightmare we just might be interested.
    This living in a normal house is so boring, I walked along the road last night and couldn't help but seeing into a lot of houses it was quite an eye opener as I couldn't believe how people fill their houses with absolute crap , it got me thinking that most people's belongings are actually what the chain stores have made them think they need .
    Loved the plastic ornaments !
    Thanks Adria home, Pauljenny thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Im not one for ornaments,in fact i have only a few things/dust collectors,as you get older you find less is more.
    But i do love my big van. and if i were single with no kids the world would be my oyster,or is that i would have to sell oysters to fuel the van.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes RoadTrek Boy, mickymost liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Charlie View Post
    Keep looking for something really simple ideally with a bit of land , if anyone sees something that looks like a nightmare we just might be interested.
    This living in a normal house is so boring, I walked along the road last night and couldn't help but seeing into a lot of houses it was quite an eye opener as I couldn't believe how people fill their houses with absolute crap , it got me thinking that most people's belongings are actually what the chain stores have made them think they need .
    Houses are very cheap here ,time to move.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Charlie View Post
    ...it got me thinking that most people's belongings are actually what the chain stores have made them think they need .
    You are right. Back in the pre-Victorian times, things were hand-made and expensive. What people had, they looked after.

Then along came mass production, factory-made goods and transport to get them to markets.

To make mass production viable, you need mass consumption, so from then on we have been fed a steady stream of propaganda suggesting that we should all Buy More Stuff, because having stuff will make us happier.

There are good research findings to suggest that the opposite is true. The less stuff we have, the happier we are. But that message is suppressed for obvious reasons.

And yes, if you measure people's lives by the criterion of how many possessions they have, things are better. But so many people are in a form of debt slavery to get all this Stuff.

So many times we see new motorhomers asking about solar panels, inverters, satellite TVs, gadgets, A-frame tow cars, and all manner of gizmos that will actually make their lives less fulfilling and are mostly more to go wrong. But they aren't asking whether to buy these things - just which is the best one to get.

Then the next round is those same people asking about security devices to stop nasty people getting hold of their new Stuff.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Halfords dome tent 15
    Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    You are right. Back in the pre-Victorian times, things were hand-made and expensive. What people had, they looked after.

Then along came mass production, factory-made goods and transport to get them to markets.

To make mass production viable, you need mass consumption, so from then on we have been fed a steady stream of propaganda suggesting that we should all Buy More Stuff, because having stuff will make us happier.

There are good research findings to suggest that the opposite is true. The less stuff we have, the happier we are. But that message is suppressed for obvious reasons.

And yes, if you measure people's lives by the criterion of how many possessions they have, things are better. But so many people are in a form of debt slavery to get all this Stuff.

So many times we see new motorhomers asking about solar panels, inverters, satellite TVs, gadgets, A-frame tow cars, and all manner of gizmos that will actually make their lives less fulfilling and are mostly more to go wrong. But they aren't asking whether to buy these things - just which is the best one to get.

Then the next round is those same people asking about security devices to stop nasty people getting hold of their new Stuff.
    It has changed in my lifetime as I remember my grandmother having some nice bits and pieces which my mother kept but really everything else my mother had in the house when she died was pretty much worthless crap.
    You go in some houses now and they are just full of Ikea crap that lasts a few years then is swapped for more crap , I furnished my farmhouse years ago for next to nothing as bought wooden furniture that no one wants from the auction.
    It makes me laugh seeing all the people buying their dream kitchen or bathroom from the sheds , they don't seem to realise that their 5k bathroom is a few hundred quids worth of rubbish.
    Likes Alf, trevskoda, mickymost liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Have you noticed that the people who spend a fortune on a fitted kitchen don't do much cooking?
    Likes Alf, trevskoda, karakachan, jann, christine liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    97 sprinter ex police riot van.
    I must be among the few that have a house full of what others would call crap, but to me every thing has value, not just monetary value but the value that is in memories.
    As I dust the little nicknacks on the shelf, they remind me of holidays or things my kids have done, of competitions won & the joy of looking at photos of past times, which can sometimes lift the mood I'm in. (I hate dusting!)

So the way I look at it, I believe that an empty house is a bit sad, people tell me that if I am robbed, then I'll lose all my crap, but no one can take their memories away, I tell them that yes you might be right, but then again what if you get Alzheimer's!!

Phill

Ps., if I do get robbed, at least I'll get some money to do things!
    Last edited by time4t; 09-11-2017 at 23:52.
    Learning to dance, where one step forward & two steps back is progress!
    Likes Dowel, trevskoda, rockape, Debroos liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Halfords dome tent 15
    I liked this one but was sold before we are ready!
    2 bedroom cottage for sale in LL23 7BT, LL23
    Likes Alf, mark61, REC liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    97 sprinter ex police riot van.
    That's a shame looks ab fab, would love a little hovel in the hills!

Phill
    Learning to dance, where one step forward & two steps back is progress!
    Likes mark61 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Halfords dome tent 15
    Quote Originally Posted by time4t View Post
    I must be among the few that have a house full of what others would call crap, but to me every thing has value, not just monetary value but the value that is in memories.
    As I dust the little nicknacks on the shelf, they remind me of holidays or things my kids have done, of competitions won & the joy of looking at photos of past times, which can sometimes lift the mood I'm in. (I hate dusting!)

So the way I look at it, I believe that an empty house is a bit sad, people tell me that if I am robbed, then I'll lose all my crap, but no one can take their memories away, I tell them that yes you might be right, but then again what if you get Alzheimer's!!

Phill

Ps., if I do get robbed, at least I'll get some money to do things!
    When Mum got Alzheimer's we started throwing away all the glued together crap and the really tacky things from holidays, when she died everything went including the things I had made at school !

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information