Full Member is offline Full Member
    Name: Sir Colin
    Spouse: No Thank You

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper Palermo
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Member View Post
    + one for Opticron.

Exceptional value. I've bought two pairs. Mine are about 20 years old and still brilliant. The second I bought as a gift for a friend about a year ago and are probably a little sharper than my original binos.
    Expect to pay about 120-ish with a discount (binos have a large mark up so there's room to negotiate).

Colin ����☺
    Just thought I'd add:-

I'd definitely agree with others that, depending on use, it's generally better to go lighter. So lower magnification and smaller aperture. Modern lenses are generally 'brighter' than those of yester year so, again depending on use, a smaller aperture is often OK. A lower magnification is also much easier to hold steady.
    Putting all that together means I went for about 8x20mm or (maximum) 8x30mm.
    I'm happy for you to try my binos out if that helps.
    One last thing. I'd 100% agree with others that, having decided on size and cost, you should try the whole shop's stock to view objects outside. You'll be amazed how much the sharpness across the field of view varies!

Colin
    Likes Alf liked this post
    Thanks carol thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Citroen Relay swb
    Thanks for all the suggestions. They're for general use and bird/animal watching. I do have a set of Olympus in the van but want some to carry when walking. My friend's Leica 10 x 25 are brilliant but soooo expensive new!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    Quote Originally Posted by carol View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. They're for general use and bird/animal watching. I do have a set of Olympus in the van but want some to carry when walking. My friend's Leica 10 x 25 are brilliant but soooo expensive new!
    As per my earlier post, have a look at Hawke Endurance 8x25 (or 10x25) and Sapphire 8x25 (or 10x25). Technically the Sapphires are better, but not everyone can appreciate the difference in which case the cheaper Endurance will do the job.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information