CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Binoculars

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Citroen Relay swb

Binoculars

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Lots of people mentioning binoculars on the hobbies thread. My friend has a set of Leicas which are brilliant but really expensive. Can anyone recommend a mid range, easy to use brand for general use?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master PVC
    I paid 20 quid for a compact pair years ago Carol. I can't remember the make offhand, but I still have them and they are perfect for my needs, in that they make things that are far away look a lot nearer!

You can spend a couple of grand and get spectacular vision and image stabilisation etc. but I just don't need them to be that good. Serious birdwatchers etc obviously would have different needs.

But for general sort of use such as 'whats that over there - oh yes, it's a house' kind of stuff, I would start with a cheap pair and see how you get on.
    God bless Colonel Sanders. Marvellous man!
    Likes trevskoda liked this post
    Thanks carol thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Devon Conversions Tempest.
    Quote Originally Posted by carol View Post
    Lots of people mentioning binoculars on the hobbies thread. My friend has a set of Leicas which are brilliant but really expensive. Can anyone recommend a mid range, easy to use brand for general use?
    I have a pair of opticron which stay in my van, not as good as my Swarovski pair that stay at home but a 1/4 of the price. Worth considering depending on what you want to pay. Without checking I recall the warranty is 20 years.
    The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - its all that matters.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    My binoculors were confiscated by the Police

I now have a court order forbidding me ever owning any again
    You Look Nice Are You The Doctor

Member Number
    Motorhome
    09 Fiat Ducato 2.3 Swift Mondial RL
    I have several pairs of binoculars that I never use but when out I carry a small monocular which takes up no room at all and very convenient. Don't buy something with too large a magnification as it is difficult to keep the image stable. You do not have to pay a fortune for reasonable optics these days. Before you buy try them outside to make sure your happy with them.
    Likes carol, Jays, Abiteachuck liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    I would suggest looking at the Hawke range of bins, they have different specs from fairly cheap to those which come close to rivalling top of the range bins from the likes of Leica.

Member Number
    We have a cheap pair of Jessops own brand rubberised 7.50s in the van for general use... but also usually carry the scope too IMG_20171206_103549.jpg

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacar and a Rimor K Max
    My Olympus bins have started to break down, the rubber casing has gone really sticky. Now using a pair of WW11 military Leica's which are superb.
    The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
    Likes carol, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    We have a couple of pairs of Swarovski ,but quite expensive but can recommend the Hawke as mentioned above .The 8 x 42 are surprisingly good at this price range.Think they are nitrogen purged to prevent foggying in cold temperatures and light weight

Buy Hawke Vantage 8x42 Green Binocular from our Binoculars range - Tesco

These are the newer version of ours.The main advantage of the more expensive optics tend to be the light gathering which gives a much brighter image on not so bright days

Swarovski EL 8.5x42 WB Swarovision Field Pro Binoculars - Green | Uttings.co.uk
    Last edited by Jeff G; 06-12-2017 at 11:08.
    Likes Jays liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    swift
    Carol,

Whatever price range you go for, check the weight. I know good lenses can be heavy, but for general use, they're not really needed. I used my dads for years, but my arms were soon dropping off, so when I got birthday money I bought some more. They are compact and have a rubbery finish, so easier to grip. Best thing is to try them out in a shop. I was lucky, cos I bought mine at a show, so was able to make sure I could see clearly and far enough.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information