CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oak Furniture land - taking the mick?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500

Oak Furniture land - taking the mick?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Just over a month ago i paid for a new bedsettee in Oak Furnitureland. It was a showroom model and i got an excellent price. At the time they said that i couldn't have it until they got another one in stock to keep the display on the shopfloor even. I have been fobbed off every week since. They also said that i would have to arrange delivery myself as it was a sale item.

I have now fully read the huge booklet of T&Cs they gave me, and there is nothing in it about these delivery restrictions. My receipt says it will be delivered by yesterday at the latest.

Do i have a case to go in and insist under the Sale of Goods Act that they deliver it to me for free, or that i arrange a delivery van and take it away now.

As far as i understand my legal situation the item has belonged to me for a month.

thanks

grath is offline Full Member
    Name: Graham
    Spouse: Kathleen

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B654 SL Star Edition 3 Ltr, 4500kg
    To get free delivery, it must be in their terms or agreed at the time of sale, and preferably in writing.
    Regarding the delay, it depends on what you and the salesman agreed, and that should be adhered to.
    Have you contacted their HQ, try to find the Chief Executives email and send him a complaint. This usually works for me.
    Alternatively, go to the shop and demand your money back!
    Don't get fobbed off!
    Make a fuss!
    Graham+Kath = grath
    Tramping the Dream, Chasing Rainbows & Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine
    Thanks delicagirl thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    Quote Originally Posted by grath View Post
    To get free delivery, it must be in their terms or agreed at the time of sale, and preferably in writing.
    Regarding the delay, it depends on what you and the salesman agreed, and that should be adhered to.
    Have you contacted their HQ, try to find the Chief Executives email and send him a complaint. This usually works for me.
    Alternatively, go to the shop and demand your money back!
    Don't get fobbed off!
    Make a fuss!
    AT the time the sales woman said i had to wait till they got a new delivery, and mentioned a couple of weeks. I only read the paperwork today to see that in writing it says i have opted for free delivery ....

normally i would stick with my understanding of what was agreed with the salesperson, but - a month is way too long, and i have had no contact from them at all. The paperwork definitely says i have free delivery.
    Likes Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by delicagirl View Post
    AT the time the sales woman said i had to wait till they got a new delivery, and mentioned a couple of weeks. I only read the paperwork today to see that in writing it says i have opted for free delivery ....

normally i would stick with my understanding of what was agreed with the salesperson, but - a month is way too long, and i have had no contact from them at all. The paperwork definitely says i have free delivery.
    My receipt says it will be delivered by yesterday at the latest.

It is not your problem that they have not managed to restock their showroom, and they cannot expect you to wait any longer.
    Seems you have free delivery as well!

I would remind them and point out you have read the T&C and mention Sales of Goods act and you will not be messed about.
    BUT try at this stage to keep it polite, it does tend to work better!
    Graham+Kath = grath
    Likes channa, time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Several things to consider,

Are the goods paid for in full ? That establishes ownership

The offer to treat was a discount and part of that discount you had to collect ? that is the contract.

Your issue now is collection at the time of sale you were told a couple of weeks which is not specific albeit suggests 14 days from the date of sale.

Forget the morality for a second if you were to now change that term to free delivery you would be in breach equally so would they if they put the prce back up again.

Whilst you have something in writing re standard terms and conditions you could push that and get away with it but small print may quote conditions apply standard terms ie retail price not the price you paid ...messy .

To resolve I would tell them by phone follow up in writing you are collecting in 7 days. ( a court would see that as reasonable behaviour) get your van and turn up.

If you keep it friendly they might as a gesture of goodwill throw in delivery play ball amicably. That tends to be how you get the best out of people and a bad situation. When people started quoting the law at me when I was retailing they got nowhere if people were reasonable I would go to the enth degree to make it right.

I would give trading standards a quick call see what there take is on it I suggest they would echo my advice, However the SOGA has changed significantly since I needed to be up to speed with it

Good Luck

Channa
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
    speak as you find.I always found them ok with good customer service.I bought amongst other things an oak tv corner cabinet then bought a tv and found the cabinet I ordered was too small.Gave them a call and altered the order to a longer cabinet with no problem,they even re-imbersed me the 10p price difference.
    They did sell me stick on felt pads for the feet which were't needed though so not all good.Mine were on a special price and got delivered as agreed.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    Several things to consider,

Are the goods paid for in full ? That establishes ownership

The offer to treat was a discount and part of that discount you had to collect ? that is the contract.

Your issue now is collection at the time of sale you were told a couple of weeks which is not specific albeit suggests 14 days from the date of sale.

Forget the morality for a second if you were to now change that term to free delivery you would be in breach equally so would they if they put the prce back up again.

Whilst you have something in writing re standard terms and conditions you could push that and get away with it but small print may quote conditions apply standard terms ie retail price not the price you paid ...messy .

To resolve I would tell them by phone follow up in writing you are collecting in 7 days. ( a court would see that as reasonable behaviour) get your van and turn up.

If you keep it friendly they might as a gesture of goodwill throw in delivery play ball amicably. That tends to be how you get the best out of people and a bad situation. When people started quoting the law at me when I was retailing they got nowhere if people were reasonable I would go to the enth degree to make it right.

I would give trading standards a quick call see what there take is on it I suggest they would echo my advice, However the SOGA has changed significantly since I needed to be up to speed with it

Good Luck

Channa
    Andrew, have you missed the below from the opening post. delivered and not collected and by yesterday!
    I am presuming the goods were paid in full so delivery could be processed!

My receipt says it will be delivered by yesterday at the latest.
    Graham+Kath = grath

Member Number

Consumer Rights Act 2015 - GOV.UK

Don't buy a chair that other peoples bottoms have been sitting on, bed bugs, fleas, double incontinence, yuk.

Cancel and have a new one delivered.

Consumer Rights Act

Consumer Rights Act 2015 - GOV.UK

Consumer law changed on 1 October 2015, as the Consumer Rights Act came into force. The changes cover:

what should happen when goods are faulty
    unfair terms in a contract
    what happens when a business is acting in a way which isnít competitive
    written notice for routine inspections to be given by public enforcers, such as Trading Standards
    greater flexibility for public enforcers to respond to breaches of consumer law, such as seeking redress for consumers who have suffered harm
    As well as these changes there are 2 new areas of law covering:

what should happen when digital content (eg online films, games, e-books) is faulty - the act now gives consumers a clear right to repair or replacement
    how services should match up to what has been agreed, and what should happen when they do not or when they are not provided with reasonable care and skill (eg giving some money back if it is not practical to bring the service into line with what was agreed)
    On 27 May 2015, some new rules contained in Part 3 of the Consumer Rights Act came into force. These are:

all letting agents in England are required to publicise a full tariff of their fees
    additional requirements on those selling tickets via secondary ticketing channels
    Because of the act, the law will be clearer and easier to understand, meaning that consumers can buy and businesses can sell to them with confidence. On the rare occasions when problems arise, they will be able to sort out disputes more quickly and cheaply. The changes are relevant to all consumers and every business which sells directly to consumers.

UK consumers spend £90 billion a month. Transparent rights will help them to make better choices when they buy, generating the opportunity for businesses to compete, innovate and grow. With these changes in place, businesses and consumers will create an economy based on productive relationships and fairly won business reputations.

Businesses and consumers who understand their rights and responsibilities will also save time and money.

1. Businesses
    A better understanding of the law will help businesses to serve their customers well. For example, they can be clear with a customer demanding a refund exactly when their rights entitle them to one. And if a problem arises in how a business provides a service, it can be certain what it may be required to do about it.

More information and guidance can be found on the Business Companion website, or if businesses would like to speak to someone, they can call the Business Support Helplines.

Small businesses, in particular, may find our point of sale information helpful when implementing some of the changes under the Consumer Rights Act. This is available on the Business Companion website and can be found alongside the relevant guidance. This is some very simple wording which has been agreed by business and consumer groups. It can be displayed to help staff and customers understand rights regarding what should happen when purchases are faulty or not of a suitable standard.

2. Consumers
    Consumers will better understand how they should be treated by businesses. They will be able to select the best deals and hold businesses to account more effectively for poor quality or service. For example, consumers will be able to compare important terms in a new contract more easily. They will be able to select the business which provides the best overall offer rather than simply the cheapest.

Theyíll know that they can get a repair or replacement if they discover a product is faulty more than 30 days after purchase/delivery. Of course, this only applies if the product was supposed to last longer.

Consumers can visit the Citizenís Advice website for more information in advance of a purchase or if a problem arises. If they want to speak to someone, consumers can call the consumer helpline on 0345 404 0506.

Member Number
    If you think Oak Furniture land are bad you should see what the banks are like.

Simple, fair and honest.

A bunch of lying cheats who rely on rules buried in their terms and conditions.

Likes delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    It is going to be a well used second hand item by the time you get it, that is for sure !
    Thanks harrow thanked for this post

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information