CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The end is nigh for pay ----

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by harrow View Post
    There are stories about salesmen lying to get people to buy a contract.

Really ??? i would NEVER have believed that
    Thanks harrow thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Avantgarde 140
    Yes, it could the sales people stretching the truth a bit. Giff Gaff and others rely on PAYG just as much as contracts. My late husband's Vodafone sim is still usable after all this time, with about 5.50 left on it
    I've also got 2 straightforward phone sims that don't expire (without data, so just for calls) from different companies than my normal one. I keep them in spare phones to hedge my bets because I'd hate to be stuck somewhere without a signal. There's been no world from them either about stopping the service. Fingers crossed it's not true.
    Likes harrow, trevskoda, time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

We shall see

It may well happen
    Not least because the security services need to know who is using which phone

Yes Big Brother (or Nanny) is watching.

Payg suits me but provided I can vary the usage (ie monthly fee)
    OR the surcharges for extra data/usage are abolished (Or considerably reduced) I do not see it as that much of an issue
    As number retention is now almost the norm if you change provider we should still be able to get "the best deal for me" and knowing you are tied in for a year the rates may bet even better ?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto-trail Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by Minisorella View Post
    [...] My late husband's Vodafone sim is still usable after all this time, with about 5.50 left on it [...]
    They must have had a change of heart. Many years ago, I bought a Vodafone PAYG to use where my main phone was in a black hole and also to give me GPRS access to the Internet (remember GPRS?) The phone cost me 140 and I put 50 of credit on it. Having used less than a tenner of that credit, I didn't need to use it for almost a year, although I did keep it charged up and connected to the Vodafone network. When I eventually needed it, I discovered that Vodafone had deactivated my account and 'pocketed' the 40+ of calling credit. Apparently it was in their terms and conditions that I needed to make a chargeable call at least once every six months to keep my account active -- and that unused calling credit was forfeit on account deactivation.
    Likes trevskoda, Minisorella liked this post

Member Number
    I got a couple of payg phones during the London bombings,

both still working on the same credit.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    I bought my orange sim outright 80 about 15/20 years back for my biz use,but they started at 30p first 2 mins then 15p there after,now they sent me a letter it will be 50p all the way,how can they change what i payed for.
    So i now have a phone on 1p mobile so if a customer rings my orange biz ph wants me to ph back to talk cr-p i use the ip phone,but thinking of buying a duel sim ph which are cheep on fleabay.
    Anyone wanting a unlocked big button flip ph ,ebay are selling tesco open or returns new for 15,alcatel 2051,if just got one for outlaw/wifes mum and its v good and sound is fantastic & simple to use for wrinkleys
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar Campscout Revolution
    Think security/safety is more important than all others aspects, and this will help.
    Likes jagmanx, yorkieowl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B598PL
    Google does not reveal any information about this, the nearest topic is how 2G and 3G may be withdrawn in the near future due to evolution in 4G etc.

If security is an issue then surely it is a simple matter to have people register their sim (and consequently their number) with their provider. I seem to recall that when I used a new sim, this was already an option. It could be that some company might see the withdrawal of PAYG as a money spinner, but I should imagine the PAYG market must be pretty large and therefore have leverage against any move to close it down.

I put 20 on my phone for going to France last June. It still has 18 on it. One of the upsides to having no friends!

Davy
    Likes harrow, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    It is not true. PAYG is available for all the networks. Anyone using Orange PAYG needs their head examined, though. Switch to 1pmobile, taking your number with you, and pay less for the same thing (or better).
    It is possible that big brother will require registration of all PAYG users, but although there is no sign of that happening, it is possible, and done in other countries.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    nu venture rio
    Quote Originally Posted by harrow View Post
    I am sure someone is lying to you.

There is nothing about it on the internet.

I have a working orange payg sim card phone,

and a working O2 payg sim card phone.

And I have had nothing from both network providers about it ending.

I was told that orange payg had stopped taking new customers some time ago and was going to shut down

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information