CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Health advice

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Rapido Le Randonneur 763F

Health advice

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I'm not one for coming on forums and discussing ill health but I was diagnosed with Rhumatoid Arthritisin 2002 after 4/5 of problems with joints now 15 years later after lots of knee draining and steroid injections and 4/5 different drugs self injections and the rest I finally am on a drug called retuximab it's given introvienously every 6 months which is great and made a massive difference to my life. I have now been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and psoriasis the latter is the one I am struggling with I have just had a course of penicillin as one of the scaly things on my an le split and I got an infection that is now cleared up but I cannot seem to keep the scaley things under control I have been prescribed betnovate cream and something called Dovobet gel I am not a depressive type person and am usually very upbeat about my ongoing illnesses but this psoriasis is really getting to me at the moment they want to send me for some sort of light treatment every 4 days for 6 weeks and the side effects on your skin and body do not make for great reading.
    So my question is to fellow psoriasis sufferers what do you use has anyone had this light treatment have you found something out of the ordinary that helps your I don't fancy the light treatment it says going out in the sun whe having this treatment can make you red and burn very easily and can have a lasting effect on how your skin reacts to the sun. Hope this doesn't come across as whining because I'm not I'm just a little fed up and frustrated.
    Rock bottom is the firm foundation i rebuilt my life on. J k Rowling

Member Number
    Motorhome
    mitsubishi canter mini artic
    dont know if its still used but it was always only bath shower with coaltar soap and i remember a yellow liquid being added to baths .
    my parents were both in nursing and old folk etc i remember the baths on the wards and old folks homes they worked at.
    have a word with your doctor . of course things will have moved on but it might help.
    Likes campervanannie liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T4 Villa XL High Top
    My psoriasis started when I was 2 & my Dad was in hospital for a year with TB. I had every test under the sun to find the cause & of course it ended up as stress. By the time I was in my late twenties it reached the embarrassing stage, think of The Singing Detective. As the psoriasis has tended to tail off I now get panic attacks, passing out weird numbness & pins & needles instead when I suffer from anxiety.

vwalan is right, anything with coal tar is good. I used to use Wrights coal tar soap & also an expensive bath soak stuff that I can't remember the name of. Avoid anything that may irritate your skin & keep well moisturised. I have never had the light treatment but they say that sunlight is the best thing for it. To be honest if it came back with a vengeance I would try Golden Paste made with Turmeric & Black Pepper before the drastic light treatment. There is a Facebook group for this search for turmericusergroupuk.

Let us know how you get on, fingers crossed for you.
    =^..^=
    Likes campervanannie, Martlet liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Pilote Galaxy 240
    Sorry to hear about your problems Annie, and no you are definitely no whiner - I dont have have solutions but I know using Betnovate you have to use very sparingly as it thins your skin. Chin up and if I hear of anything will come back to you.
    You can take the girl out of Wales but you cannot take Wales out of the girl

Member Number
    Motorhome
    B544
    my sons girlfriend has the psoriasis and hers is certainly if not caused then exasperated by stress while she was pregnant it almost cleared up just in her hairline then seemed to come back with a vengeance at present now grandson is in school and happy

Member Number
    Motorhome
    swift
    Hi Annie,
    I have heard anecdotal stories of goats milk being effective for some people.we kept goats when I was younger, and there were many stories about using goats milk.
    At that time there was only milk available, but now you can buy soap and moisturizer. Dont know if it will work, but worth a try. I like the idea of turmeric and black pepper too. Hope you find something to help.

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by campervanannie View Post
    I'm not one for coming on forums and discussing ill health but I was diagnosed with Rhumatoid Arthritisin 2002 after 4/5 of problems with joints now 15 years later after lots of knee draining and steroid injections and 4/5 different drugs self injections and the rest I finally am on a drug called retuximab it's given introvienously every 6 months which is great and made a massive difference to my life. I have now been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and psoriasis the latter is the one I am struggling with I have just had a course of penicillin as one of the scaly things on my an le split and I got an infection that is now cleared up but I cannot seem to keep the scaley things under control I have been prescribed betnovate cream and something called Dovobet gel I am not a depressive type person and am usually very upbeat about my ongoing illnesses but this psoriasis is really getting to me at the moment they want to send me for some sort of light treatment every 4 days for 6 weeks and the side effects on your skin and body do not make for great reading.
    So my question is to fellow psoriasis sufferers what do you use has anyone had this light treatment have you found something out of the ordinary that helps your I don't fancy the light treatment it says going out in the sun whe having this treatment can make you red and burn very easily and can have a lasting effect on how your skin reacts to the sun. Hope this doesn't come across as whining because I'm not I'm just a little fed up and frustrated.
    Dear fed up and frustrated.

Treatment of psoriasis is all about maintenance, and by that I mean keeping it under control. Winter will be worse than summer, sunlight is an anti inflammatory.

Try to keep cool, try avoiding biological washing powder, although I tolerate it ok.

Wear clothes that make you feel comfortable.

Don't use soap, but use Diprobase and or Epiderm to wash and to grease up and moisturise afterwards.

When things get out of hand you will need steroids but that is not the end of the world.

Antihistamine might help fight the itches so that might be worth a try.

I have been fighting the thing since birth so I know what it feels like.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacar
    If you are a whiner then I am a marshmallow.

I cannot offer any solutions although I give a tentative thumbs up to coal tar soap, it works on a very embarrassing sporadic skin problem that I have. I also use E45 Emollient bath oil when things get really bad.

Stay positive chuck. [[[[[]]]]
    When the whole world is crazy, it doesn't pay to be sane.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Rapido Le Randonneur 763F
    8A60E751-2DC7-46CA-9900-05957D9B151E.jpg

Sorry for the graphic pictures but this is what I am dealing with at the moment on my ankle I am just not getting control of it as itís all new to me this was the reason for going from Snoopy my self (Nigel Brown) build to a motorhome with running hot water and a shower so I could help it but at the moment I am loosing the battle minor set back the more I read the more I understand and can get on top of it.
    Rock bottom is the firm foundation i rebuilt my life on. J k Rowling

Member Number
    Motorhome
    swift
    Quote Originally Posted by campervanannie View Post
    8A60E751-2DC7-46CA-9900-05957D9B151E.jpg

Sorry for the graphic pictures but this is what I am dealing with at the moment on my ankle I am just not getting control of it as itís all new to me this was the reason for going from Snoopy my self (Nigel Brown) build to a motorhome with running hot water and a shower so I could help it but at the moment I am loosing the battle minor set back the more I read the more I understand and can get on top of it.
    It's a tricky one to get under control as I'm guessing it's caused by your low immune system. Something else you could try is turmeric milk. I don't have a recipe for it but Mr Google has, I read about it when looking for things to give David. Just remember to put some black pepper in, apparently it increases how well it works. That way you can attack it from the inside as well as the topically.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information