CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crufts

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by maingate View Post
    I never said you know nothing about dogs, I said you don't have knowledge of the Kennel Club and what is happening between Breeders, Exhibitors and owners.

For instance, your second link is about the work and effort done by a Breeder to get the KC to act. That is fairly typical of the efforts done by people on behalf of their breed. When we showed Gundogs nearly 50 years ago Retrievers and Labradors were riddled with Hip Dysplasia. It was the owners who set up a 'Hip Score' system to eradicate breeding from affected animals. The idea spread to other breeds and the KC now try to get credit for it. More recently, German Shepherds have been in a shocking state. It got so bad that the breed is now evolving back to its roots as a large group of owners and breeders are boycotting Judges and breeders with the affected type and the number of healthy animals has increased dramatically. In both of these cases, representation was put to the KC and they did nothing about it.

This subject could turn this into a very long thread and turn nasty like a Brexit thread. I have no point to argue except that I don't like inaccurate comments about the subject and so I will retire from the thread and not look at it again.
    It seems we are in complete agreement then,I've not slated the breeders,rather the KC and the standards that they force breeders to adhere to,for entry to the likes of Crufts.
    I completely agree about the state of German Shepherds,and its good to know that breeders are taking it upon themselves to redress the problems.
    My issue is,and always will be with the breed standards.
    668,the neighbour of the beast.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger
    Quote Originally Posted by maingate View Post
    Thanks Nigel, you have proved my point. The Breed Standard has not changed between the old and recent photos. None of those dogs were bred by the KC, they were bred by owners of the breed. The KC has sat back and done nothing to prevent this as they have morphed from an organisation committed to the good of dogs into an exclusive Club for the wealthy and well positioned in Society. You can see that if you were to google for their Head Office, Clarges St, W1. It took a Channel 4 programme to get them off their lazy a*ses and actually do something a few years ago.
    good you found it useful mate, happened to see this yesterday and my thought was simply that most looked better before modification , bit like Caitlyn Jenner
    be that as it may,still may it be as it may be

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson flash 510
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    It seems we are in complete agreement then,I've not slated the breeders,rather the KC and the standards that they force breeders to adhere to,for entry to the likes of Crufts.
    I completely agree about the state of German Shepherds,and its good to know that breeders are taking it upon themselves to redress the problems.
    My issue is,and always will be with the breed standards.
    Indeed , the thread was starting to get very confusing . You did appear to be , basically , agreeing with maingate . Makes it even harder to follow why anybody would think the thread was turning nasty .
    At the end of the day some breeders have been , putting it nicely , irresponsible . At least partially caused by the KC . Obviously not the winner at crufts , beautiful animal .
    Optimistically things have improved .

wakk44 is offline Full member
    Name: Steve
    Spouse: memsahib

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B644
    Quote Originally Posted by Minisorella View Post
    Wiki entry about the TV programme that caused a public outcry 10 years ago. It wasn't the first discussion of the damage caused by exaggerated breeding traits but it certainly got the ball rolling... and a few heads! It's a long read but worth it...

Pedigree Dogs Exposed - Wikipedia
    An interesting debate.The above documentary was quite disturbing particularly about certain breeds that were suffering hereditary health issues because of breeders trying to conform to KC breed standards.It was certainly a watershed moment for the KC,the BBC withdrew their Crufts coverage because of it and several big sponsors stopped supporting the KC.It made them do something about inbreeding and they revisited the recommended breed standards which can only be a positive thing.

The most disgraceful aspect of this is that in some breeds perfectly healthy puppies were culled because of imperfect markings and eventually the KC actively discouraged and condemned this practice so I think it's the breeders that are more to blame than the KC.Not that I'm sticking up for the KC,far from it,just look at the murky world of dog shows.When you have judges judging judges it's prone to corruption and not something I would ever get involved with.
    Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
    Likes Minisorella liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacar
    Toe jam really is delicious.
    Thanks wakk44 thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger
    i feel bad about the bulldog , over 60 years ago i had the pleasure of watching my sometimes nasty older sister get chased by the neighbour's bulldog and bitten on the bum . she was 10 and very athletic but the dog caught her easily . poor buggers can barely walk nowadays
    be that as it may,still may it be as it may be

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information