Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does it pay to protect your property

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one

Does it pay to protect your property

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Last edited by grath; 04-04-2018 at 11:29. Reason: added bbc
    Tramping the Dream, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine at the Rainbow end!
    Likes peter palance liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    I suspect this is a good example of how the law is and not how we would like it to be !

More to the point the judicary have guidelines that must be adhered too. An Englishman defending his castle ( no offence to scots et al but a saying) seems to hold little sway.

Hopefully the Tony Martin case will be used as precedent ,common sense may prevail but dont hold your breath

Legally extremely complicated and be a lot of facts we are not privvy too

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger
    about the only thing i'll agree with the yanks, if someone's in your house, you'd be stupid to think other than they might kill you, and should be allowed to defend yourself as strenuously as poss . hopefully the cops won't actually charge him, poor old bugger

i asked a cop about this sort of thing in Portugal , he said ' if you kill them in the house, no probs , but if you kill them in the garden , drag them into the house before you call us !'

thoracic surgeons take your breath away
    Thanks peter palance thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    I suspect this is a good example of how the law is and not how we would like it to be !

More to the point the judicary have guidelines that must be adhered too. An Englishman defending his castle ( no offence to scots et al but a saying) seems to hold little sway.

Hopefully the Tony Martin case will be used as precedent ,common sense may prevail but dont hold your breath

Legally extremely complicated and be a lot of facts we are not privvy too

Channa
    Agree Andrew, we don't know the facts and it could depend on where the Guy was stabbed.
    Front or back, was the house owner fearing for his safety etc!
    Took years to sort out the Tony Martin incident and by all accounts, his life was ruined!
    Tramping the Dream, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine at the Rainbow end!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H592
    Isnít the word ďproportionalĒ in terms of the force used to defend yourself? For example if you shot an unarmed intruder that might be viewed as disproportionate but if you stabbed an intruder armed with a knife that may be reasonable. Regarding Tony Martin, didnít he shoot an unarmed kid in the back with a shotgun?

Pat

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

Tony Martin

Many ! would agree that it was lawful for him to kill an intruder !

But as has been posted his life was ruined.

I choose not to sympathise with the intruder.

In another case
    I choose not to sympathise with Raoul Moat (Rothbury)
    • He killed and indeed planned to kill
    • He ruined the life of the policemen who he blinded (The policeman subsequently committed suicide)
    • He tried to kill others
    • By most reports he was a complete thug (Similar to the Kray twins ?)
    • He refused to give himself up

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacar
    If the two blokes were in the old chaps house to rob him, then good on you fella, pity you didn't get the other one though. We have all seen too many pics of old people, particularly old defenceless women, battered to hell and back. I really couldn't care less if the dead bloke was a father, brother, son or uncle, he shouldn't have been robbing the old fella. Many old folk who get robbed but not hurt physically, suffer psychological trauma and in some cases die soon afterwards because of the stress.
    At what age do you think itís appropriate to tell 
a road itís adopted?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Hopefully in detention stressful enough , he has a brief that will tell him to shut up i.e no comment work out police gameplan then decide best course of action ,,,its how it works ,,,,only people here that will benefit are lawyers,,,,common sense hopefully prevails but the law doesn't work that way and the stress to the old lad is beyond contemplation

Hopefully a court will see that he was frightened and reacted a valid defence ...his trial if it gets that far will ignore two assailants with bad intentions it is all so wrong

Your home is you sanctuary in my world not the legal one you have 100|% right to defend and if you feel there is sufficient threat against your person then you have a right to defend ..if that involves slotting the fecker that shouldn't be there in the first place then so be it

I just hope the old lad smiled in the robbers eyes as he fell ,,,sorry that makes me nasty

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    transit lwb semi high panal van
    why is it that an old bloke stabbing a burglar gets arrested

lout running over a kid driving an uninsured car gets off scott free thats assuming anyone can be arsed to track him down in the first place.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance 590RL
    Quote Originally Posted by izwozral View Post
    If the two blokes were in the old chaps house to rob him, then good on you fella, pity you didn't get the other one though. We have all seen too many pics of old people, particularly old defenceless women, battered to hell and back. I really couldn't care less if the dead bloke was a father, brother, son or uncle, he shouldn't have been robbing the old fella. Many old folk who get robbed but not hurt physically, suffer psychological trauma and in some cases die soon afterwards because of the stress.

Well said, the fecker deserved all he got.
    Hope the old guy is advised to say no comment to all questions asked, police are renowned for making answers sound incriminating no matter how innocent so they can get a conviction. Advice is always state no comment when questioned as it is less likely to go against you than any answer you could give if it ever goes to court. Don't see why they've locked him up, unless hes still being questioned, he's not exactly a danger to the general public.
    WestRidingofYorks
    Likes izwozral, helmit, wildcampnewbie, channa liked this post

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information