CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: portuguese fires

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger

portuguese fires

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    getting so close to daughter's house , just outside Messines , that the cops evacuated them . no argument , leave now or be forcibly removed . can't blame after the death toll in the last lot !
    so she's now parked up on a local lake in her single decker bus with her dogs , cats , budgies and horses-proper wild camping .
    friends in Monchique have been evacuated for 5 days now and have no news of their house at all.we lived near them once when the place was alight, their house caught fire , but a neighbour doused it , we sat in the front room watching the choppers water bombing the valleyb opposite.
    too blessed to be stressed

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    Quote Originally Posted by n brown View Post
    getting so close to daughter's house , just outside Messines , that the cops evacuated them . no argument , leave now or be forcibly removed . can't blame after the death toll in the last lot !
    so she's now parked up on a local lake in her single decker bus with her dogs , cats , budgies and horses-proper wild camping .
    friends in Monchique have been evacuated for 5 days now and have no news of their house at all.we lived near them once when the place was alight, their house caught fire , but a neighbour doused it , we sat in the front room watching the choppers water bombing the valleyb opposite.
    We were there the a couple of years ago in Prai de Rocha and our van was covered in ashes from Monchinique,(the sky was black) and last year we were at Fos de Arelho near Caldas de Rahina, miles away from the big fire where about 70 people died and again our van got covered in ashes. The wind can blow it for miles, so imagine the wind blowing the fire across a road!
    Tramping the Dream, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine at the Rainbow end!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    Forgot to say, a couple of years ago there was a massive field fire, burning out well over 100 cars at the Bargem de Poava, near Nisa.
    Again we were there a couple of days after.

Got my numbers wrong, it was over 400 cars
    Last edited by grath; 08-08-2018 at 20:25.
    Tramping the Dream, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine at the Rainbow end!

Pauljenny is offline Failed jackpot winner
    Name: Where's Me- Wallet
    Spouse: Long suffering

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Indigo
    Hopefully, Nigel, the winds are forecast to abate and veer to more northerly.
    I read on the Algarve news feed that the Civil Protection Committee had decided against implementation of the Emergency Plan, lat Monday... Typical Sods Law.

Fingers crossed for all our loved ones over there.
    It's not where you live... It's HOW you live..

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master PVC
    Quote Originally Posted by grath View Post
    Don't know what has happened above and I can't remove it
    I'm not sure what happened there.

I looked at the moderator log and Phil was looking at it and now seems to have deleted it.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B598
    Quote Originally Posted by Robmac View Post
    I'm not sure what happened there.

I looked at the moderator log and Phil was looking at it and now seems to have deleted it.
    Yep, all fixed / deleted
    Likes Robmac liked this post
    Thanks grath thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger
    Quote Originally Posted by grath View Post
    We were there the a couple of years ago in Prai de Rocha and our van was covered in ashes from Monchinique,(the sky was black) and last year we were at Fos de Arelho near Caldas de Rahina, miles away from the big fire where about 70 people died and again our van got covered in ashes. The wind can blow it for miles, so imagine the wind blowing the fire across a road!
    as i said , we lived in the Casais area in Monchique , and there were a few things that bothered us around there. the sawmills would take eucalyptus and chestnut trees from the area, first cutting off all the branches before dragging out the trunks, leaving a pile of timber to dry out and become tinder, which we had surrounding our house, several feet thick. then they didn't allow firebreaks to be cut as it's an area of outstanding beauty ! many who died left it too late , tried to escape by car, and the cars engines died through lack of oxygen, leaving the poor buggers stranded in the fire. we were very aware that a change of wind direction could make things very iffy !

mariesnowgoose is offline Unreformed Mongoose
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: Neilyg

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Ford Legend Auto-Sleeper 1988 Diesel
    Hope everything is OK with your daughter, Nigel....
    Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    Marie
    Likes n brown liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger
    yes ,all ok , the fire went round their place , lucky escape. just been watching my g/son on Portuguese telly , one dopey woman had ignored all warnings till the last minute , so all the locals had to save her. my lad was in there loading up the horsebox to ferry all her dogs and 20+horses to safety, as the flames lit the sky - very exciting , but also very risky !
    Likes grath, mariesnowgoose liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Citroen Relay swb
    How scary! Glad everyone and the house is ok but it's not going to be as pleasant when they move back in. Monchique is a beautiful area, I don't know how long it takes nature to recover from something like this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information