CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Thread: Thieving Corporate B@SXAXS

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Elddis 120

Thieving Corporate B@SXAXS

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I went to support a fella with mental health issues to a Personal Independence Payment interview in a local town. He needed my support as anyone whos been through one will know the score. I managed to help him get through it although it did overrun by 20 minutes as I think the interviewer was a bit nervous for some reason. All went ok until today. I get a letter from the corporate thieves who own the car park. Apparently id overstayed my welcome by 20 mins and they want 100 or 60 if I pay in 14 days. Now dont get me wrong, I did overrun by 20 mins, not my fault but I couldn't run out the interview and leave him part way through.I understand a few quid extra to pay but 100 for 20 minutes. Thats just a bunch of greedy corporates out to fleece us and we cant do a dam thing. Perol companies, utilities, train companies, all them, out to fleece us, make as much profit as they can and claim to "modernising" "investing" etc etc all the usual corporate excuses for high prices crap service and rip of prices. Yep im well annoyed, especially as I was trying to support a vulnerable person.

Maybe I should change my name to one of the big corporate tax avoiders and pay 5p. Perhaps I should move my house "off shore" or change my motorhome into a tax haven.

Mick
    Likes trevskoda, shaunr68, time4t, Adria home liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autocruise Vista
    Don't pay up. Unless it's a notice from council or police (and it's not a hospital or airport car park that might be subject to a bylaw) then they're just a private company and have no authority to issue fines, no more than you or I have the authority to go around demanding 100 from people! Makes my blood boil. You may get a few snooty pseudo-legal letters from them trying to chase you for payment but they will eventually give up.
    Likes delicagirl, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunr68 View Post
    Don't pay up. Unless it's a notice from council or police (and it's not a hospital or airport car park that might be subject to a bylaw) then they're just a private company and have no authority to issue fines, no more than you or I have the authority to go around demanding 100 from people! Makes my blood boil. You may get a few snooty pseudo-legal letters from them trying to chase you for payment but they will eventually give up.
    i had 3 letters asking for similar amounts from lidl who had installed new cameras and i overstayed by 5 minutes..... i ignored all three and they stopped writing to me.
    Likes shaunr68 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Sadly not correct Supreme Court dismisses PS85 parking ticket challenge | News | Law Society Gazette since the practice of clamping in England became illegal the parking companies are having success in the courts the above refers to a private car park

Channa
    Likes trevskoda, Edina, time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autocruise Vista
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    Sadly not correct Supreme Court dismisses PS85 parking ticket challenge | News | Law Society Gazette since the practice of clamping in England became illegal the parking companies are having success in the courts the above refers to a private car park

Channa
    I'm aware of some rare cases where the parking companies have instigated county court action for damages based on an assumed breach of contract and won.

But what I said was entirely correct. They don't have the authority to issue fines, and the best course of action for a motorist receiving a PCN is still to do nothing. With the caveat that on rare occasions they might as the first article puts it, call your bluff.

The following articles both from 2018

How to fight a private parking ticket: Lawyer reveals THIS trick | Personal Finance | Finance | Express.co.uk

Private unfair parking tickets: how to fight unfair charges - MSE
    Likes delicagirl, peter palance, time4t liked this post

Member Number
    I'm aware of some rare cases where the parking companies have instigated county court action for damages based on an assumed breach of contract and won.

But what I said was entirely correct. They don't have the authority to issue fines, and the best course of action for a motorist receiving a PCN is still to do nothing. With the caveat that on rare occasions they might as the first article puts it, call your bluff.

The following articles both from 2018

How to fight a private parking ticket: Lawyer reveals THIS trick | Personal Finance | Finance | Express.co.uk

Private unfair parking tickets: how to fight unfair charges - MSE
    Good luck....

Mate of mine ended up with a CCJ against him when he ignored it....

Slightly more inconvenient than paying the 30 or so they demanded for his overstaying the prescribed time....

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autocruise Vista
    Quote Originally Posted by mistericeman View Post
    Good luck....

Mate of mine ended up with a CCJ against him when he ignored it....

Slightly more inconvenient than paying the 30 or so they demanded for his overstaying the prescribed time....
    It would probably have made sense for him to start paying attention when letters began arriving from the county court. In the overwhelming majority of cases it will never come to that. These parking enforcement parasites make their money from the large percentage of people who pay up and it isn't worth their while chasing a questionable civil claim through the courts.

Member Number
    It would probably have made sense for him to start paying attention when letters began arriving from the county court. In the overwhelming majority of cases it will never come to that. These parking enforcement parasites make their money from the large percentage of people who pay up and it isn't worth their while chasing a questionable civil claim through the courts.
    OR to have parked where there weren't obvious parking restrictions...

To be honest the first thing I do when I want to park somewhere is have a good look around to make sure there aren't any signs prohibiting me parking there....
    I always assume that I'm open to getting a ticket unless it explicitly states that it's a free for all.
    Likes Edina liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autocruise Vista
    Quote Originally Posted by mistericeman View Post
    OR to have parked where there weren't obvious parking restrictions...

To be honest the first thing I do when I want to park somewhere is have a good look around to make sure there aren't any signs prohibiting me parking there....
    I always assume that I'm open to getting a ticket unless it explicitly states that it's a free for all.
    To clarify, I wouldn't park somewhere with obvious parking restrictions either. It's not fair to make other people's lives difficult and if it's clear that we're not wanted somewhere then I'll move on. The same as with wild camping spots really. But in the OP's scenario it was a legitimate parking spot where they overstayed. If the overstay charge was reasonable then nobody would have any complaints but the OP was hit with what is effectively a fine, utterly disproportionate and something which private parking companies have no authority to issue.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    2009 Chausson Flash 08
    If you overstay on private land in England and Wales, then the registered keeper of the vehicle is liable to pay the penalty. This was incorporated into the Protection of Freedoms Act, 2012. Fortunately for us Scots, this wasn't enshrined in our law, so only the person causing the 'offence' is liable and there is no onus on the reg keeper to name the person. Similarly, if you are from outwith Scotland but incur a notice in Scotland, just ignore it. They've given up on me now following loads of threatening letters, then letters from a solicitor then letters from a debt recovery agency - arseholes - they have no power in Scotland and we have never had CCJs.. It is absolutely shocking that private parking companies, many run by criminals can pay 2.50 to DVLA and obtain keeper's details. Not breaching data protection when it suits the government. They end up having more power than the Police. I have a chuckle when the news highlights corruption in other countries. We should highlighting the corruption in our own Government.
    Thanks peter palance thanked for this post

Thread Information