CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Thread: Dialysis update

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100

Dialysis update

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    A few of you well wishers have asked various questions re dialysis and how I am going on

Well todays session was perfect the last two not so clever my blood pressure dropped to 75 / 45 felt as sick as a parrot but blood pressure drop is part of the process sadly. My issue is having high blood pressure anyway the problem is magnified but that is work in progress re timing of high blood pressure drugs in relation to dialysing.

The good news is next Wednesday I am going for a pre op assessment for fitting a fistula , the stesio in my chest will remain the fistula needs to grow which takes 8 weeks then need to see it works. Life back normalish re showering and they are far better in respect of infection control ( connected direct to the heart so last thing you need)

News got better today I had a chat with the main nurse and she authorised straight away starting from Saturday an initiative called shared care. What this involves is basically dialysing myself at the end of the process I will be able to calculate my own figures prepare and stick in needles ,operate the machine un plug and go home. The time saving eventually be immense 7 and a half hours today with bits and bats the dialysis only 4 of those

This idea has been pioneered by Leeds teaching Hospitals and yesterday a lecture was given that it seems the folk of Manchester will benefit too

Leeds hospital have made a short video that explains a lot more and the lady in blue is Joy she is my senior sister and the brains behind it all. Also she is the lady along with her colleagues "Andys Angels " who keep me alive

So I hope the clips gives good insight answers a lot of questions and hey why not curiosity

A very positive Channa

Channa
    YouTube

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    A few of you well wishers have asked various questions re dialysis and how I am going on

Well todays session was perfect the last two not so clever my blood pressure dropped to 75 / 45 felt as sick as a parrot but blood pressure drop is part of the process sadly. My issue is having high blood pressure anyway the problem is magnified but that is work in progress re timing of high blood pressure drugs in relation to dialysing.

The good news is next Wednesday I am going for a pre op assessment for fitting a fistula , the stesio in my chest will remain the fistula needs to grow which takes 8 weeks then need to see it works. Life back normalish re showering and they are far better in respect of infection control ( connected direct to the heart so last thing you need)

News got better today I had a chat with the main nurse and she authorised straight away starting from Saturday an initiative called shared care. What this involves is basically dialysing myself at the end of the process I will be able to calculate my own figures prepare and stick in needles ,operate the machine un plug and go home. The time saving eventually be immense 7 and a half hours today with bits and bats the dialysis only 4 of those

This idea has been pioneered by Leeds teaching Hospitals and yesterday a lecture was given that it seems the folk of Manchester will benefit too

Leeds hospital have made a short video that explains a lot more and the lady in blue is Joy she is my senior sister and the brains behind it all. Also she is the lady along with her colleagues "Andys Angels " who keep me alive

So I hope the clips gives good insight answers a lot of questions and hey why not curiosity

A very positive Channa

Channa
    YouTube
    That's good, you will soon know as much as the nurses and being involved will relieve some of the frustration of everything taking so long.
    Likes channa liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Soon!!!
    Having control over the procedure is sure to make you feel so much more in control of your life. It can really dominate everything, really pleased that you will be part of such a positive initiative. Less of a patient and more of a partner. Good luck with it all.
    Likes iampatman, Nabsim liked this post
    Thanks channa thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    Thanks Andrew, and very good to hear things are getting a little easier. As you know, Mrs G has CKD , so we are very thankful for any info you can share. A BIG thank you and keep well��
    As you know, we have recently toured France waiting for the latest hospital appointment which came through for next Monday, so home we come with fingers, toes etc crossed
    Last edited by grath; 11-10-2018 at 17:30.
    Tramping the Dream, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine at the Rainbow end!
    Thanks channa thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Quote Originally Posted by grath View Post
    Thanks Andrew, and very good to hear things are getting a little easier. As you know, Mrs G has CKD , so we are very thankful for any info you can share. A BIG thank you and keep well��
    As you know, we have recently toured France waiting for the latest hospital appointment which came through for next Monday, so home we come with fingers, toes etc crossed
    Good luck Graham, CKD is classified based on the eGFR and the level of proteinuria and helps to risk stratify patients.Patients are classified as G1-G5, based on the eGFR, and A1-A3 based on the ACR (albumin:creatinine ratio) ) it tends to be referred to as stage 3 etc but that's how they arrive at the conclusion

To establish where you are at the renal department, they use blood tests for egfr and urine tests (to establish protein levels) and will pronounce you ckd stage 3

etc , as function decreases i.e a"function" of less than 15 % you are termed ESRF (stage5) ESRF End stage renal failure, at which point you need dialysis or a transplant

The scientific bit out the way what can you do ?

Reversal of CKD doesn't happen but what you can do is attempt to help out that the deteriation stabilises and perhaps doesn't worsen,

Ask the people at the nephrology department for Mrs G to see a dietician and I suspect he /she will advocate a low protein diet and possibly advise to avoid foods like banana with a high potassium content avoid salt etc. it lowers the workload on the kidneys. Expect Mrs Gs blood pressure to be observed like a hawk that plays a big part. Vitamin D supplements (yep not just the sun that does it) and no doubt be told to drink plenty of water Ask the questions.

diet prior to ESRF can play a big part in slowing down the process, avoid alcohol and smoking for blood pressure reasons

Remember too that the underlying reasons for CKD vary from individual a lot hinges on what the origin of the disease is albeit the end result is the same

Naturally always feel free to drop a pm, also look at joining local renal support groups peer support and experiences are useful

Above all stay positive,

Andrew
    Thanks grath thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    Thanks Andrew, we know most of what you say and she has been monitered for the last few years. Fitting tours around the dates can be difficult! At the moment she is holding steady and already had one stent. Mondsy is to see if a second stent is required and yes BP is the problem, even more difficult as daytime it is high and night heart beat goes very very low. It is a balancing act with the meds but they have sorted this. Thanks and hope you get on with the meds
    Tramping the Dream, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine at the Rainbow end!
    Thanks Pauljenny thanked for this post

Pauljenny is offline Retired Exotic Dancer
    Name: Not George Clooney
    Spouse: Long suffering

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Indigo
    Good luck, Andy, Graham and other fellow sufferers.
    Every week, there's new ideas and procedures coming along.

Jenny has had a complete shake up in her Diabetic regime, virtually contradicting large parts of the course that we both went on, only 17 months ago... That gave improved results, but this is even better, after only 10 days on the new scheme.
    The phone support is fantastic..
    Well done Trafford NHS.

Keep the good tidings coming.
    We can all do with some good news, for a change.
    It's not where you live... It's HOW you live..
    Likes channa, hotrats, grath liked this post

Thread Information