CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BACKup storage for my computer

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    i have run the windows backup programme 3 times now and each time it tells me that it didn't finish, but each time the gigabyte numbers vary slightly so i am not sure if my data is properly backed up or not. i did find the user manual and as usual it feels like i am reading japanese..... sighs..... nowt is simple in IT for me.... but i will try to find find someone locally to help......

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by delicagirl View Post
    i plugged in my new MyPassport into the USB socket and followed the instructions on screen to back up my PC. i have done the back up twice now and each time it fails to complete the backup and says

"Windows backup failed while trying to read from the shadow copy of one of the volumes being backed up. There is 738GB free of 937GB. So i assume it has copied some of my hard drive but not all of it....

i have just found a manual on line so will have a look at that tomorrow when i am less tired and see what i can see.....
    I suggest using Google to search for the exact error message ...
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk
    Likes Minisorella liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

There are (fundamentally) 2 types of backup

1 a way to rebuild your laptop if it dies
    Or restore it if you can replace the hard disk with a similar one (larger)
    You will need a recovery CD or Pendrive as well

2 To get your data back
    IMO this is more important useful.
    As you can then retrieve all on a new laptop/PC
    Use a programme such as synctoy to maintain a valid backup of Data
    Synctoy has the facility to only change on the backup those files which are newer on the laptop
    So first run is a full copy
    Subsequent runs only refresh on the backup changed data
    For Images or video which use a lot of diskspace this is better than say "Google Drive"

However "Google Drive" is in my opinion very good for immediately backing up low volume data such as spreadsheets or word type documents
    To be really careful you can also make copies of files named as a copy for EXTRA safety in a sub folder called copies

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Avantgarde 140
    I must admit I've tried lots of backup software over the years yet still tend to come back to simply copying all my files and photos over to a hard drive and to the cloud. The thing about backing up the whole computer with just changed files in between is that you have to restore lots of different backup sets to get everything back that's changed since the last full backup, if that makes sense. Plus if there are any glitches or bloat in the system, they'd likely be restored back too. I always prefer to clean reinstall the OS and programs then put my files , photos, favourites, etc, back in the relevant folders. It takes more time and care when backing things up but I find it more straightforward in the long run. As Jagmanx says, it's your personal stuff that's more important... everything else can be reinstalled back to new computer condition with a factory restore or OS disc. Mind you, an automated backup programme is much more user-friendly if you're not familiar with reloading computers, so everyone will choose a different method.

DG, I googled your particular issue and found this... made me chuckle that it was written by someone called Teresa May

Solved: Windows Backup Failed to Read from the Shadow Copy
    Likes Nabsim, Alf liked this post
    Thanks delicagirl thanked for this post

Member Number
    I just use a couple of external hard drives, make a copy of my stuff on each one and leave it at that.
    Likes Minisorella, trevskoda liked this post

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    Quote Originally Posted by Minisorella View Post
    I must admit I've tried lots of backup software over the years yet still tend to come back to simply copying all my files and photos over to a hard drive and to the cloud. The thing about backing up the whole computer with just changed files in between is that you have to restore lots of different backup sets to get everything back that's changed since the last full backup, if that makes sense. Plus if there are any glitches or bloat in the system, they'd likely be restored back too. I always prefer to clean reinstall the OS and programs then put my files , photos, favourites, etc, back in the relevant folders. It takes more time and care when backing things up but I find it more straightforward in the long run. As Jagmanx says, it's your personal stuff that's more important... everything else can be reinstalled back to new computer condition with a factory restore or OS disc. Mind you, an automated backup programme is much more user-friendly if you're not familiar with reloading computers, so everyone will choose a different method.

DG, I googled your particular issue and found this... made me chuckle that it was written by someone called Teresa May

You could just create batch files and add them to task scheduler Jennie
    Don't Worry, Be Happy

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

With synchtoy

You only have 1 copy of your data (but you can do a second with a different name)
    The copy simply gets updated/refreshed with the changed or additional files ...
    Thus it also completes the task very rapidly if you have made few changes
    It also seems to work much quicker than a windows copy on the first run.

Of course to keep multiple copies of files you need multiple external drives
    Eg week 1 week 2 and use google drive for instant backups.
    In short if you were running a business you would have a duplicate/mirrored server on the cloud !
    But that is getting silly
    Last edited by jagmanx; 07-11-2018 at 20:37.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Avantgarde 140
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabsim View Post
    You could just create batch files and add them to task scheduler Jennie
    I do that with my documents and other folders Nabs but I tend to do the photos by hand for some reason. It gives me a chance to weed out stuff I don't really want to keep and I enjoy going through the pics. Trouble is, without a scheduled batch file run, I do forget from time to time

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    Quote Originally Posted by Minisorella View Post

thank you jennie..... i have read these instructions several times and i despair of ever being able to understand IT. I had though for 3 years that my files were being backed up by a professional company who i paid annually. it turns out they were just taking my money and the software they sent was not activated because i had not understood what to do.... But my hard drive is now getting on a bit and i thought it wise to back up.

at this rate i think i will back up half a dozen spreadsheets by hand onto a memory stick once a week and get some peace of mind that way. All my writing goes onto memory sticks... so thats secure at least.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information