CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BACKup storage for my computer

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500

BACKup storage for my computer

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    hi i finally got an additional backup drive called Passport. if i schedule it to backup once a week on a particular day and time and the computer is switched off at the socket at that time will Passport have to wait for the next time the PC is connected to the mains electric supply before it will be able to backup... thank you

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Avantgarde 140
    PC would need to be up and running DG. Can't conceive of any way it will work otherwise.
    Thanks delicagirl thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacarr E435
    Depends how intelligent the Passport software is. From a programmer's viewpoint, it's quicker and easier to wait until the next backup timeslot (less software to write and test).
    -steve
    Thanks delicagirl thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    its started its first backup of my PC hard drive stored data - i dont know why i didn't do this before...... but i'm doing it now....

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    I get a weekly backup slot on my new W10 netbook (Sunday night at some point). If the computer is switched off I get a reminder on Monday morning when I boot it up. I use a USB stick as a backup destination.
    Likes delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    It is possible to schedule start up and shut down times on a PC, but the mains supply would have to be there of course.

How to Schedule Windows 10 Shutdown and Startup
    Likes delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    i plugged in my new MyPassport into the USB socket and followed the instructions on screen to back up my PC. i have done the back up twice now and each time it fails to complete the backup and says

"Windows backup failed while trying to read from the shadow copy of one of the volumes being backed up. There is 738GB free of 937GB. So i assume it has copied some of my hard drive but not all of it....

i have just found a manual on line so will have a look at that tomorrow when i am less tired and see what i can see.....

winks is offline Full Member
    Name: Harold
    Spouse: Roseann

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hobby 750 (The Behemoth)
    Different operating system but might be of interest to someone.

I have had a Mac Book Air for the last three years since retirement and use a 1Tb external hard drive for back up using a thing called Time Machine. If I don't back up for a few days a little notification pops up on the desktop to do a backup. All that's required is for the machine to be connected to both the external hard drive and the power source and it just gets on with it. The other thing I use is a 79p per month cloud storage facility (50gb) for stuff like passwords, apps, favourites etc. 40 for the external hard drive seems to be good enough value for money if it avoids a wee bit of grief somewhere down the line.

My son is aiming to set up a server in our house for his business and this will apparently auto back up all the stuff on my Mac Book as well as giving him a second location to store his business data. I just nod, hopefully the right times, and await the arrival of this brave new world.

Cheers

H

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Simple on linux to just do a full pc as is onto usb pen,from here you can boot onto any pc to get running as was or just retrieve fils.
    Me i have 3 pc running all the same so very very safe.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Fiat PVC
    Depending on the backup software and whether it creates its backup task in Windows Task Scheduler, it may be able to wake the PC and complete the backup if you leave the PC in Hibernation mode, rather than Shut Down. Mine does daily backups to a network drive and offsite storage. If I'm not using the PC it wakes it to complete the backup and hibernates it again afterwards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information