CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Wetherspoons Christmas treat

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Herald Templar

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    The Wetherspoons in Southsea is quite refined during the day. It always seems to be full of people even older than me. Mind it is a Lloyds so what happens at weekend nights may be another story, but that is true of all the places around it.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    09 Fiat Ducato 2.3 Swift Mondial RL
    There is no music or telly so such as Barry can have meaningful discussions about Brexit and the like.
    Likes antiquesam, channa liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazerloz View Post
    The police didn't come in the Lion because they didn't know if they would ever get out again. Could be described as a colourful pub at times.
    Ps. Never seen any bother at Cleck spoons and I usually call in at some point in the week. But that doesn't mean there has never been any..
    It was the strangest pub I ever got involved with a cross between a local pub and a town centre pub and the transient clientele

We acquired it has a result of a licensing review and in 12 months had the Police twice . Once I was under investigation threw a chap out and he was hospitalised so my cctv they wanted to absolve me or charge me Second time was advised to use plastic glasses as was other pubs the Peel and across the road, and that was as a precaution for the Christmas fete thing they have.

As for spoons in Cleck customers told me and court reports plus my bits of paper warning of those on Pub watch and where they had offended. But don't think I am knocking them I am not, anti social behaviour can kick off in any pub extended opening hours have back fired in that respect in some ways Spoons the main culprits I opened at 11 and mid day had a gang often visit but behaved I must say fresh as daisies form the Union Rooms in Batley strangely never the case in Cleckheaton .

Channa

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by antiquesam View Post
    the wetherspoons in southsea is quite refined during the day. It always seems to be full of people even older than me. Mind it is a lloyds so what happens at weekend nights may be another story, but that is true of all the places around it.
    students !

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Herald Templar
    Quote Originally Posted by harrow View Post
    students !
    That's very kind of you but I assure you that the daytime clientelle are to old to be students, although there does seem to be more of them than full time residents now and most of the halls of residence are clustered around Portsmouth centre, in fact they have taken over the centre.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacar
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    Not aimed at myself I hope ? all horses for course (metaphorically speaking) Wetherspoons have a good business model, Buy cheap brewers surplus and shift it quick is a fair assessment of how they work

Fazerloz asks what people want from a pub , and a pretty open question. Live / pre recorded music ? don't get that in the spoons no PRS licence to pay for . TV with no sound avoidance of a tv licence ? My punters used to love the racing on a Saturday afternoon indeed one lad was the runner to the bookies. Pubs are or were very much part of the community and that's where spoons has killed it slightly I dare say they partake in charitable events but pubs keep it local darts teams pool teams etc and often sponsor football sides , kids teams Sunday league too, So in conclusion both have their place and offer a seperate unigue customer experiences .The fact local pubs are closing is not down to spoons directly albeit competing is difficult

As for social anti behaviour the Police cars no their way to Spoons In Cleckheaton yet in 12 months never visited me once same was true of the Parry in Bradford and that had a reputation luck of the drawer that one I think

There is room for everyone in this game I think the same true of food offerings

CHanna
    Not aimed at you Andrew, your reputation is intact!
    A yawn is just a silent scream for beer.
    Thanks channa thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson flash 510
    Quote Originally Posted by izwozral View Post
    Bloomin 'eck I hadn't realised we have so many Michelin Star chefs in the WC community or people who would never ever dream of eating something that could be considered junk food. What a healthy bunch all you Wetherspoon knockers must be? You must all be rolling in money too. If cheap food and beer is not to your liking may I suggest trying one of the following Top 50 Gastro Pubs.
    I am sure you will not be looking down on us lesser mortals whilst you tuck into Aged Wild Allium-rubbed Scallop of Monkfish with ‘Woodfire’ Spiced Shetland Mussels washing it down with a glass of Chablis, Domaine Jean Defaux, 2015. Us plebs will have to do with suet steak and kidney pudding, chips and mushy peas washed down with a £2.50 pint of beer.

Incidentally, I have eaten at three of the above top 50 gastro pubs and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, I also enjoy the cheap food and beer at Wetherspoons.

The phrase 'get over yerselves' springs to mind.
    Bit tetchy .
    Didn't see anyone posting anything remotely like you describe .
    Prices quoted for a pint in Wetherspoons (upper case w) of £2.15 and £2.50 !
    Even they would be struggling to make a profit on that . The ordinary publican would be out of business in a month

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information