CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux advice needed

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by bartman View Post
    I'm interested to hear about this - the missus has an even older Toshiba laptop, originally XP. I unwisely installed Win 10, and from then on it ran even more slowly, almost as slow as Trump's brain.

As it has been replaced with a more up to date model, I thought I might as well see what could be done with it.

It has 2GB RAM, and an Intel Atom N270 processor. If it is capable of running Linux I would like to know which flavour to choose, and as I know absolutely nothing about it, whether you have to install it as a dual boot system or do you remove windows completely and just install Linux? (presumably from USB in this case as it is a netbook).
    I think there is one or two will work but i have had a look and cannot find it tonight,will look again soon.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    [QUOTE=Pauljenny;982516]
    Quote Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post
    Win 7 is still fine, and it should be possible to return it to as good as when you bought it. It's going to need a new clean install though.

Linux will never have all of the drivers you need.

What driver do you talk of and for what,i have never been stuck except for my very old phone but i could run it under wine.
    Hp printers work out of the box ,alway buy a camera with a removable sd card then just pop it in a reader pen and it works.

Maybe that could solve my similar problems. ?
    How long is Windows 7 going to remain supported?
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauljenny View Post
    How much longer will Windows 7 be supported.?
    Maybe that could resolve my similar problems?
    Win 7 is similar to lite but still with bugs and slow.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes Pauljenny liked this post
    Thanks Pauljenny thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by barryd View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Its 32bit N270 (I think) 2gb of RAM.

The copy of Windows 7 Pro I think thats on it was installed years ago and there is no factory restore so PIA to re-install it all from scratch.

I was just looking for the quickest and easiest solution to be honest that would make it usable.
    I was going to say peppermint 32 bit but the chip is a problem,there are a few distros for that chip but bu--er if i can find it tonight,to much in head as wife now taken into hospital and very sicky poos so sitting up in case i get a call,going to have a time out now.
    Puppy will run live on anything from usb stick.
    Last edited by trevskoda; 07-12-2018 at 01:43.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Rapido
    5 Lightweight Linux Distros Ideal for an Intel Atom Processor PC there you go hope missus is getting better trev
    Likes barryd, colinmd liked this post

Member Number
    Microsoft ended mainstream supportfor Windows 7 on January 13, 2015, but extended support won't end until January 14, 2020
    Likes trevskoda liked this post
    Thanks Pauljenny thanked for this post

mariesnowgoose is offline Unreformed Mongoose
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: Neilyg

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Ford Legend Auto-Sleeper 1988 Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    I was going to say peppermint 32 bit but the chip is a problem,there are a few distros for that chip but bu--er if i can find it tonight,to much in head as wife now taken into hospital and very sicky poos so sitting up in case i get a call,going to have a time out now.
    Puppy will run live on anything from usb stick.
    Trev, hope your wife is OK - b**g*r dishing out advice about Linux!

I am regularly disgusted by manufacturers everywhere, and not just in computer hardware.
    They all contribute to our throwaway western society big time. Rant over!

If you can get Linux to run on old Windows laptops I wouldn't mind having a go myself

I have a 2k (when new many years ago, was top of the range) Toshiba sitting on a shelf in the office which is quality built but worth nothing nowadays. Lovely machine, did everything I wanted and would do still, except it became too old to upgrade to the latest Windows op sys so it became defunct/unsafe for Internet use and I was gutted at the time.

There is no way I would move back to any Microsoft operating systems after using Apple products for several years now, but I reckon I could fancy having a play around with Linux in my spare time to exercise the ageing grey cells (I know - wot spare time? ... and, more to the point, wot grey cells, ageing or not! rofl)
    Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    Marie

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by oldish hippy View Post
    5 Lightweight Linux Distros Ideal for an Intel Atom Processor PC there you go hope missus is getting better trev
    Some of them now gone and you would require a PHD to try to get them working,puppy was the main one but looking at there site i cannot fathom it out or how to download and install easy,so anyone new to linux would throw the towel in with these.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

If you just want

Simple functionality
    Then wipe it by a complete installion a suitable version of Linux.
    I found Mint Lite quite good and a lot faster than win
    Drivers van be a problem but probably not on an older standard make
    AS a certain Skoda Driver will confirm 2GB ram is plenty and he will be better than I do which version is best.
    Given it is not your main machine you can play with various distros
    A 32 bit "lite" version is probably best but there are at least 3 such possibilities
    Loads of software available for free in the repositories

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by mariesnowgoose View Post
    Trev, hope your wife is OK - b**g*r dishing out advice about Linux!

I am regularly disgusted by manufacturers everywhere, and not just in computer hardware.
    They all contribute to our throwaway western society big time. Rant over!

If you can get Linux to run on old Windows laptops I wouldn't mind having a go myself

I have a 2k (when new many years ago, was top of the range) Toshiba sitting on a shelf in the office which is quality built but worth nothing nowadays. Lovely machine, did everything I wanted and would do still, except it became too old to upgrade to the latest Windows op sys so it became defunct/unsafe for Internet use and I was gutted at the time.

There is no way I would move back to any Microsoft operating systems after using Apple products for several years now, but I reckon I could fancy having a play around with Linux in my spare time to exercise the ageing grey cells (I know - wot spare time? ... and, more to the point, wot grey cells, ageing or not! rofl)
    Give me the spec and i will look into it,find if its 32bit or 64 ,processor speed and ram please.
    Should be getting a ph call today from hospital about wife,kids of school as we were there last night to the small hrs and there shot.
    Only dirty people wash

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information