Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux advice needed

Member Number
    Motorhome
    fiat-ducato ci carioca 694

price

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by barryd View Post
    I am hoping Trev will be on this faster than a tramp on a bag of dropped chips. Mrs D wants me to flog her ancient Samsung 10" netbook on ebay. They were great about eight or nine years ago when they came out. Small 10" screen, great battery life but this one is running Windows 7 Pro and only has 2gb of RAM. Ive cleaned it up as best I can but its still very slow, wont play youtube or iplayer very well and Im just reluctant to punt it out if someone is hoping for a nice little laptop as a Christmas present.

Is it worth wiping it and putting a version of Linux on it and if so which one? Will it cope better and run faster and smoother? The argument is that it might devalue it but to me it should be in the bin anyway. Its a shame though as its in lovely condition and the battery is good.
    price and were please.pj
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    Barry the N270 is 32bit, you will be able to get Linix Lite to run on it as I did it for someone last week at work on an old Acer One (older than yours and less powerful). Being 32bit you will need to go for an older version. Its straight forward to install but bear in mind I did it on a notebook with keyboard and trackpad not a tablet.

On some of the old netbooks it had a lite version of windows which you cannot get hold of so if hard drive goes the netbook is scrap in effect so Linux is a good option. I did manage to get windows on one as I had Action Pack disk with the right version but was not a straight forward job. I think these may have been limited to early netbooks though but if you run Linux as a Live disk first (which Linix Lite does) you will see if it is okay before going for the install and possibly losing windows.
    Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Likes barryd, colinmd liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Kontiki 640
    Quote Originally Posted by peter palance View Post
    price and were please.pj
    Richmond North Yorkshire but I can soon stick it in a box and courier it. No idea on price, I think Mrs D just likes watching an auction. Will have a look at what they go for and come back to you or (or anyone) can make me an offer. Its in good nick and everything works plus good battery. Just slow and annoying in Windows 7 pro. Someone who knows what they are doing would get a nice little machine though. I just dont want an ebay buyer novice ending up with it as a Christmas present for a kid or something.

If nobody wants it it might be a useful exercise seeing what works regarding Linux.

Thanks for all the suggestions once again.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabsim View Post
    Barry the N270 is 32bit, you will be able to get Linix Lite to run on it as I did it for someone last week at work on an old Acer One (older than yours and less powerful). Being 32bit you will need to go for an older version. Its straight forward to install but bear in mind I did it on a notebook with keyboard and trackpad not a tablet.

On some of the old netbooks it had a lite version of windows which you cannot get hold of so if hard drive goes the netbook is scrap in effect so Linux is a good option. I did manage to get windows on one as I had Action Pack disk with the right version but was not a straight forward job. I think these may have been limited to early netbooks though but if you run Linux as a Live disk first (which Linix Lite does) you will see if it is okay before going for the install and possibly losing windows.
    Latest lite is only 64 bit for the lts,32 bit was dropped ,mint or peppermint 32 xfce desk top will run ok.
    Last edited by trevskoda; 07-12-2018 at 22:24.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes FringeDweller liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    Nonsense as lite is only 64 bit for the lts,32 bit was dropped ,mint or peppermint 32 xfce desk top will run ok.
    Excuse me??? I downloaded and installed it last week. Went for download and it said can't load as it was 64bit then offered me 32bit v3.6 Installed that and it then offered me v3.8 which I installed.

So it is not nonsense at all
    Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Thanks trevskoda thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    Don't Worry, Be Happy

Pauljenny is offline Failed jackpot winner
    Name: Where's Me- Wallet
    Spouse: Long suffering

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Indigo
    Don't fret about us, Trev...Please!
    Hope Mary is feeling better very soon.
    You'll want her right for washing the van before Xmas, won't you?
    All the best, to the 4 of you
    It's not where you live... It's HOW you live..
    Likes mariesnowgoose, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Kontiki 640
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabsim View Post

Missed your post earlier. This sounds like a good option. I have in the past run and installed Ubuntu on netbooks of this calibre either from a hard drive or USB so may give your suggestion a try.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Avantgarde 400 Peugeot Boxer 2.0
    I found Lubuntu via Mr Google, looked interesting so downloaded it on my trusty Win7 desktop. From the instructions I have found it looks as though I need to put this iso file on a USB drive that's bigger than 4gb, then plug that into my laptop. I'll have to wait and see what Father Christmas brings, both of my 32gb USB drives have gone belly up - I shall definitely avoid Sandisk in future!
    George Best: "I spent a lot of money on booze, women and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Elnagh Clipper Ford Transit 2.5D (1989)
    I went over to Linux a year ago now, with the help of Trev, and I will never look back! I went for Linux Mint and its been amazing, I run an old Thinkpad X240 with Mint and it has worked flawlessly ever since. The laptop is with me 24/7 and never misses a beat, ultra stable is Linux and 100X better than my works Windows computer. I just wish I could get a smart phone to run Linux now!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information