CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Premium bonds

Deleted user 21925 Guest

Premium bonds

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    My grandkids get far too many presents for Christmas so we usually just put money in their bank accounts so they have a nest egg when they are older.

This year, I was thinking of buying them some premium bonds. My dad does quite well out of premium bonds, but he has a lot (maximum permissible which obviously I won't be buying that many for the grandkids!). I have read mixed reviews on returns.

I appreciate that the chances of them winning a big prize are pretty much non existent, but the odd win of 25 would make their day.

Any comments, or should I just stick with cash?

Thanks
    Likes rockape liked this post

Member Number
    Louise has had a small amount for years, and never had a penny. But that's how it works I suppose...

I'd do cash
    Thanks N/A thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacar
    We both have the maximum bonds, the last 12 months has given us 2% return. Can be disappointing when you check that months draw and you don't get a penny but it's great fun when, like last month, we won 350.
    Most reviews on Bonds show a poor return but I reckon it is by far a better return than doing the Lotto, unless you win a jackpot.
    Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by rulers as useful.
    Likes GreggBear liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Self build
    We get a steady 25 trickle from ours, with the occasional bigger one. The biggest benefit of them as a gift, rather than cash, is the young uns can't rush out and spend them on the latest game.
    Likes watchthis, izwozral, ricc, Alf, Pauljenny liked this post

Deleted user 21925 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Edina View Post
    We get a steady 25 trickle from ours, with the occasional bigger one. The biggest benefit of them as a gift, rather than cash, is the young uns can't rush out and spend them on the latest game.
    I agree Chris, we put the cash in accounts which they can't touch until they are 18.

With interest rates as they are, I thought that it might be worth investing in bonds for them. Trouble is, I would hate it if one of them won a half decent prize and the others didn't which could cause some resentment. But that's the nature of the game I suppose.

I don't think I can buy a block in joint names for all of them? (I have 3 grandkids and another on the way).
    Likes Edina liked this post

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    I only have a few single 1 ones from when I was a kid and haven't won for years now. I think its better than giving them cash though Rob as they still have face value if they don't win. Maybe if you look at it as an investment its not a good deal (unless you win a lot) but if you look at it as a gamble then its a safe bet.

I looked at doing the same thing a few years back but you couldn't buy less than 100 at the time, I was looking for over 20 kids and grandkids so it wasn't an option ha ha
    Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Likes N/A liked this post

Deleted user 21925 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabsim View Post
    I only have a few single 1 ones from when I was a kid and haven't won for years now. I think its better than giving them cash though Rob as they still have face value if they don't win. Maybe if you look at it as an investment its not a good deal (unless you win a lot) but if you look at it as a gamble then its a safe bet.

I looked at doing the same thing a few years back but you couldn't buy less than 100 at the time, I was looking for over 20 kids and grandkids so it wasn't an option ha ha
    Funny you should say that Neil, but I'm sure that I had some when I was an ankle biter.

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    Quote Originally Posted by Robmac View Post
    Funny you should say that Neil, but I'm sure that I had some when I was an ankle biter.
    Get in touch with them Rob and give name and previous address's and they will come back with whatever you hold. Dont think mine amount to a tenner all in but you can't win if you aren't in
    Don't Worry, Be Happy

Member Number
    Premium Bonds are a little bit of fun,

your in with a chance every month and it is something to look forward to

and there is no risk and no tax implications.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Well, think it is safe to say Premium Bonds aren't an investment but as a way to potentially win a nice surprise AND not lose your stake I think they are good.
    I happened to check my history on them a couple of days ago and I've actually won 9 times this year, which isn't bad but for a couple of years I didn't win at all
    (If you update your account to an on-line one, you can check everything and buy and sell bonds very easily).
    I've just bought a whole new load last weekend so fingers crossed for 2019
    Find me on motorhomer.com, a Brexit-Free Zone

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information