CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS


Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Brexit and pets returning to UK

  1. #11

    Member Number
    15631
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,403
    Location
    langham rutland
    Motorhome
    B544


    CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    clarified this with my vet about a month ago with the same concerns as he said the defra advice isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on & his advice if i didn’t want to suck it and see, was that to bring a dog back into the uk from a non eu country now required a rabies blood test confirmation he gave me two options one at almost £50 was a simple yes or no for £70+ i have a certificate recording mollys blood levels at 2.5 where 0.5 is all that was reqd , i thought it well worth while for peace of mind when we return hook of holland after the netherlands meet,

  2. #12

    Member Number
    30323
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    5,761
    Location
    Where my wheels stop ...
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rugbyken View Post
    clarified this with my vet about a month ago with the same concerns as he said the defra advice isnít worth the paper itís printed on & his advice if i didnít want to suck it and see, was that to bring a dog back into the uk from a non eu country now required a rabies blood test confirmation he gave me two options one at almost £50 was a simple yes or no for £70+ i have a certificate recording mollys blood levels at 2.5 where 0.5 is all that was reqd , i thought it well worth while for peace of mind when we return hook of holland after the netherlands meet,
    From a non-EU country that may be the case. However from an EU country DEFRA are saying re-entry, if you leave the UK pre-Brexit, will conform to the existing rules i.e. up-to-date rabies jab and tapeworm treatment.
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk

  3. #13
    Wooie1958's Avatar
    Wooie1958 is offline Cupid Stunt
    Name: Hey You
    Spouse: Yes M`Lady

    Member Number
    17249
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12,551
    Location
    Preston. Lancashire.
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    Quote Originally Posted by POI Admin View Post
    From a non-EU country that may be the case. However from an EU country DEFRA are saying re-entry, if you leave the UK pre-Brexit, will conform to the existing rules i.e. up-to-date rabies jab and tapeworm treatment.

    I can think of a few members that should have them as well
    Must Get Round To Setting Up A Paypal Donate Button
    Likes REC liked this post

  4. #14
    Antony Guest
    Your pets do NOT require a rabies jab or any other type of inoculations to travel to Europe.

    If you do want to bring it back, you have to comply with British travel regulations.

    I think those will not change as it’s not a political situation.
    Last edited by Antony; 05-01-2019 at 18:29. Reason: Predictive text!
    Likes alcam liked this post

  5. #15

    Member Number
    26242
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    977
    Location
    Kent Suffolk central Portugal
    Motorhome
    Soon!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Antony View Post
    Your pets do NOT require a rabies jab or any other type of inoculations to travel to Europe.

    If you do want to bring it back, you have to comply with British travel regulations.

    I think those will not change as it’s not a political situation.
    Might have trouble getting through the tunnel without a rabies vaccination!

    The microchip number of the animal must be identical to the microchip number on the pet passport or official third country veterinary certificate. Your pet (who must be at least 12 weeks old) must be vaccinated against rabies. There is no exemption to this requirement.

    PET Travel Scheme Compliance Checklist - Eurotunnel
    Last edited by REC; 05-01-2019 at 22:16.

  6. #16

    Member Number
    30323
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    5,761
    Location
    Where my wheels stop ...
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007
    Antony was saying you don't need to have a Pet Passport to go to Europe but as you say you will need this in order to return.

    From my experience Eurotunnel don't check your Pet Passports on leaving the UK. Nor do P&O at Dover.

    However DFDS at Newhaven do check them ...
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk
    Likes Tezza33 liked this post

  7. #17

    Member Number
    55264
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    163
    Motorhome
    High roof doblo

    Abroad at brexit day

    Quote Originally Posted by POI Admin View Post
    I am in that position now being in France and likely to return in April.

    Nobody has an answer because nobody knows what is going to happen on Brexit day.

    This document contains an interesting statement:

    Pet travel to Europe after Brexit - GOV.UK

    See the section headed Return to the UK.

    There will be no change to the current requirements for pets entering the UK from the EU after 29 March.
    This is off topic but i have not been able to get the right international driving permit for France to cover a no deal brexit event , i am told I can get one in February in person at some post offices . I already have one for Spain as that was available. So what are you doing ?

  8. #18
    Antony Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by POI Admin View Post
    Antony was saying you don't need to have a Pet Passport to go to Europe but as you say you will need this in order to return.

    From my experience Eurotunnel don't check your Pet Passports on leaving the UK. Nor do P&O at Dover.

    However DFDS at Newhaven do check them ...
    Never done the new haven crossing.

    As far as I am aware, years ago if you took your pet abroad then returned back to the rabies free U.K..
    The pet was placed into quarantine for six months ( this still does happen from certain countries)( stand to be corrected )
    The U.K. has a list of countries that you can return from if your pet has a pet passport.
    The conditions are well known, plus requires a heath check from a vet as fitness to travel.
    If you wish to take your pet out of the country and have not followed the conditions set by the U.K, then on return if bring your pet back home it will require quarantine.
    Therefore I stand by you do not need a passport for Europe countries.
    ONLY IF YOU WISH to bring your pet back to the U.K.

    If others have a different opinion please post on the requirements of said Europe country.

  9. #19
    Antony Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by REC View Post
    Might have trouble getting through the tunnel without a rabies vaccination!

    The microchip number of the animal must be identical to the microchip number on the pet passport or official third country veterinary certificate. Your pet (who must be at least 12 weeks old) must be vaccinated against rabies. There is no exemption to this requirement.

    PET Travel Scheme Compliance Checklist - Eurotunnel
    Going or on return.

    Could also be if your have booked a return.

  10. #20

    Member Number
    30323
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    5,761
    Location
    Where my wheels stop ...
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Derekoak View Post
    This is off topic but i have not been able to get the right international driving permit for France to cover a no deal brexit event , i am told I can get one in February in person at some post offices . I already have one for Spain as that was available. So what are you doing ?
    Hoping there's a deal or no Brexit ...

    Otherwise I may have to return on or before 29 March!
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •