CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit and pets returning to UK

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Soon!!!

Brexit and pets returning to UK

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Planning on trip to Portugal end January 2019 returning end April 2019, thus we will leave pre brexit and return after we have left or negotiated a deal. Went to the vet today to find out whther there are extra things we need to do to get the dog back into the UK. Apparently I have to phone DEFRA for advice! The Gov website is ambiguous and really only seems to cover leaving the UK and travelling in the EU. Most searches I have done suggest contacting the vet for advice....maybe need to get a rabies titre blood test, but maybe not (at £140 a go, I would prefer not to waste the money!). Has anyone else had advice for this situation? I will phone DEFRA tomorrow and post their answer....its mad that there is nothing definite

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by REC View Post
    Planning on trip to Portugal end January 2019 returning end April 2019, thus we will leave pre brexit and return after we have left or negotiated a deal..its mad that there is nothing definite
    I'd not bother tomorrow as no one can answer your question as there are several scenarios as to how we leave until thats sorted how can anyone answer any questions they'll just be guessing. Just go have a good trip and worry about getting home when the time comes
    Likes jacquigem liked this post

wakk44 is offline Full member
    Name: Steve
    Spouse: memsahib

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B644
    I'm in exactly the same situation with my 2 dogs.I will be in Portugal on ''B'' day and so will return on the Santander ferry in April after we have officially left the EU.I have also asked our vet whether there will be any complications about getting the dogs back post Brexit.He was quite honest and said he didn't know but in his opinion there will be some form of reciprocal,transitional agreement until things are finalised,even in the event of a no deal Brexit.I don't think Defra will know either.I intend to take the above advice and just enjoy the trip and worry about it when the time comes.

I can think of worse places to be stranded abroad and it's not like we have to go to work
    Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
    Likes witzend, jacquigem liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Avantgarde 140 💫
    Quote Originally Posted by Jays View Post
    Let’s just clarify the situation. Europe does not require your pet to have the rabies jab. The u.k wants your pet to have the jab. What difference does it make to britexit? It’s a check to return, the political situation does not change the perceived risk. Your pets passport will only get checked at the return port, a condition our British government put into place years ago.
    That might not be right. I've found a couple of links about the movement of pets... the first amongst EU member countries and the second from countries outside the EU. Looks to me that the EU does require the rabies vaccination. There's no publication date on the article, so this might not be current, although I would expect them to change it if the rules had changed.

Non-commercial movement within the EU - European Commission
    Non-commercial movement from non-EU countries - European Commission
    Likes Fern Kinnell liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007
    I am in that position now being in France and likely to return in April.

Nobody has an answer because nobody knows what is going to happen on Brexit day.

This document contains an interesting statement:

Pet travel to Europe after Brexit - GOV.UK

See the section headed Return to the UK.

There will be no change to the current requirements for pets entering the UK from the EU after 29 March.
    Last edited by POI Admin; 03-01-2019 at 23:28.
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk
    Likes Wind Dancer liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson flash 510
    Planning on trip to Portugal end January 2019 returning end April 2019, thus we will leave pre brexit and return after we have left or negotiated a deal. Went to the vet today to find out whther there are extra things we need to do to get the dog back into the UK. Apparently I have to phone DEFRA for advice! The Gov website is ambiguous and really only seems to cover leaving the UK and travelling in the EU. Most searches I have done suggest contacting the vet for advice....maybe need to get a rabies titre blood test, but maybe not (at £140 a go, I would prefer not to waste the money!). Has anyone else had advice for this situation? I will phone DEFRA tomorrow and post their answer....its mad that there is nothing definite
    I would assume , as you are returning to Britain , there won't be a problem . Travelling to EU may involve titre test ? I got this done on my previous dog 6 years ago . Don't remember paying anything like £140 ? Maybe £40-60

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Adria Sonic Supreme
    The UK rabies blood titer test we paid for about 2 months ago was £120. It was less than half that in Crete. If you are staying in one place whilst on your trip, you could get it done abroad. One dog failed as the antibody count to pass is high, so he had to have an ‘early’ rabies booster. So it may be worth having a new rabies vaccination too.
    If you do decide to have it done, be aware that most of Europe has annual rabies jabs. UK has three yearly. To keep the titre test valid you have to have up-to-date rabies jabs. We’ve made the decision to have this done annually in line with Europe. Don’t want any issues as it is too worrying and stressful.
    We have gone this route for peace of mind when we take our dogs abroad. Don’t want a problem trying to bring them back.
    Thanks alcam thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson flash 510
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunegapyears View Post
    The UK rabies blood titer test we paid for about 2 months ago was £120. It was less than half that in Crete. If you are staying in one place whilst on your trip, you could get it done abroad. One dog failed as the antibody count to pass is high, so he had to have an ‘early’ rabies booster. So it may be worth having a new rabies vaccination too.
    If you do decide to have it done, be aware that most of Europe has annual rabies jabs. UK has three yearly. To keep the titre test valid you have to have up-to-date rabies jabs. We’ve made the decision to have this done annually in line with Europe. Don’t want any issues as it is too worrying and stressful.
    We have gone this route for peace of mind when we take our dogs abroad. Don’t want a problem trying to bring them back.
    I will think about doing the same .
    I really don't see the problem coming back to Britain ? The change , and potential problems , will be going into EU surely

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Soon!!!

DEFRA were emphatic!

Defra gave an emphatic reply to my question today. I asked her to check with a colleague also as it was so simple!
    If you leave before the Brexit date and only travel in Europe, returning to the UK will NOT require any extra tests or injections over and above the current tapeworm treatment. As long as the rabies vaccination is up to date "there will be no problem". She emphasised that once Brexit is agreed in whatever form, subsequent leaving and returning may well need the rabies blood test +/- vet certificate, but, as the Gov website says, nothing decided.
    So we are going, with EU passport, and may get the blood test in Portugal when she has the tapeworm treatment, to mitigate any issue next time we travel. DEFRA said that the vet should have been clear on this....

The number I called was 0370 241 1710 if anyone else wants their mind put at rest, its the pet travel department of DEFRA
    Last edited by REC; 04-01-2019 at 14:00. Reason: ps
    Likes channa liked this post
    Thanks wakk44, POI Admin thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson flash 510
    Defra gave an emphatic reply to my question today. I asked her to check with a colleague also as it was so simple!
    If you leave before the Brexit date and only travel in Europe, returning to the UK will NOT require any extra tests or injections over and above the current tapeworm treatment. As long as the rabies vaccination is up to date "there will be no problem". She emphasised that once Brexit is agreed in whatever form, subsequent leaving and returning may well need the rabies blood test +/- vet certificate, but, as the Gov website says, nothing decided.
    So we are going, with EU passport, and may get the blood test in Portugal when she has the tapeworm treatment, to mitigate any issue next time we travel. DEFRA said that the vet should have been clear on this....

The number I called was 0370 241 1710 if anyone else wants their mind put at rest, its the pet travel department of DEFRA
    Thanks for that . In my experience many [most?] vets aren't too good on these kind of regulations . Belgian vet , 2 years ago , insisted they had stopped the requirement for worm tablet when coming home . He stamped the passport and charged me nowt

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information