Planning on trip to Portugal end January 2019 returning end April 2019, thus we will leave pre brexit and return after we have left or negotiated a deal. Went to the vet today to find out whther there are extra things we need to do to get the dog back into the UK. Apparently I have to phone DEFRA for advice! The Gov website is ambiguous and really only seems to cover leaving the UK and travelling in the EU. Most searches I have done suggest contacting the vet for advice....maybe need to get a rabies titre blood test, but maybe not (at £140 a go, I would prefer not to waste the money!). Has anyone else had advice for this situation? I will phone DEFRA tomorrow and post their answer....its mad that there is nothing definite
I'm in exactly the same situation with my 2 dogs.I will be in Portugal on ''B'' day and so will return on the Santander ferry in April after we have officially left the EU.I have also asked our vet whether there will be any complications about getting the dogs back post Brexit.He was quite honest and said he didn't know but in his opinion there will be some form of reciprocal,transitional agreement until things are finalised,even in the event of a no deal Brexit.I don't think Defra will know either.I intend to take the above advice and just enjoy the trip and worry about it when the time comes.
I can think of worse places to be stranded abroad and it's not like we have to go to work
I am in that position now being in France and likely to return in April.
Nobody has an answer because nobody knows what is going to happen on Brexit day.
This document contains an interesting statement:
Pet travel to Europe after Brexit - GOV.UK
See the section headed Return to the UK.
There will be no change to the current requirements for pets entering the UK from the EU after 29 March.
Last edited by POI Admin; 03-01-2019 at 23:28.
Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk
The UK rabies blood titer test we paid for about 2 months ago was £120. It was less than half that in Crete. If you are staying in one place whilst on your trip, you could get it done abroad. One dog failed as the antibody count to pass is high, so he had to have an ‘early’ rabies booster. So it may be worth having a new rabies vaccination too.
If you do decide to have it done, be aware that most of Europe has annual rabies jabs. UK has three yearly. To keep the titre test valid you have to have up-to-date rabies jabs. We’ve made the decision to have this done annually in line with Europe. Don’t want any issues as it is too worrying and stressful.
We have gone this route for peace of mind when we take our dogs abroad. Don’t want a problem trying to bring them back.
Defra gave an emphatic reply to my question today. I asked her to check with a colleague also as it was so simple!
If you leave before the Brexit date and only travel in Europe, returning to the UK will NOT require any extra tests or injections over and above the current tapeworm treatment. As long as the rabies vaccination is up to date "there will be no problem". She emphasised that once Brexit is agreed in whatever form, subsequent leaving and returning may well need the rabies blood test +/- vet certificate, but, as the Gov website says, nothing decided.
So we are going, with EU passport, and may get the blood test in Portugal when she has the tapeworm treatment, to mitigate any issue next time we travel. DEFRA said that the vet should have been clear on this....
The number I called was 0370 241 1710 if anyone else wants their mind put at rest, its the pet travel department of DEFRA
Last edited by REC; 04-01-2019 at 14:00. Reason: ps
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)