CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Torque Wrench

Member Number

Torque Wrench

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    After wrecking the peddle and crank on my pushbike I have decided to upgrade my 40 year old beam torque wrench. It is still fine for wheel nuts but not delicate or exact enough for threads in magnesium and aluminum. I do not intend to use it often so reluctant to spend silly money an a Snap On and it does not need to go up to a huge force. What do you guys think would be a sensible one?

Richard

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Fiat Scudo WAV/ Iveco 50c14 self build
    Had a good few bits of budget priced Clarke tools from Machine Mart & been pleased with them for the price. Check em out on line.
    Thanks Tbear thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    2009 Chausson Flash 08
    Halfords. We torque everything on our motocross bikes and wouldn't go past them. They are made by Norbar and extremely accurate, so much so they are Auto Express best buy every time they do a wrench test. Dawdle to use as they have an easy read window for nm and ft/lbs as opposed to squinting at a series of numbers engraved in bar. We have the 12 - 60 nm model (also have a 2 - 12 nm for some engine work) but they do various ranges. Even kindly put a + on the handle so you know your torque length when using a torque adaptor. Worth a look but you're looking to pay around 75.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1997 Lunar Road Star 570 2001 BMW 1150RS
    Tight and a tap has always worked for me
    Be the best that you can, without causing pain to others
    Likes Tbear, shortcircuit liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbear View Post
    After wrecking the peddle and crank on my pushbike I have decided to upgrade my 40 year old beam torque wrench. It is still fine for wheel nuts but not delicate or exact enough for threads in magnesium and aluminum. I do not intend to use it often so reluctant to spend silly money an a Snap On and it does not need to go up to a huge force. What do you guys think would be a sensible one?

Richard
    I have a Norbar torque wrench and would happily buy another one, agreed I would research where to buy one and at what price but I have trusted the one I have for more than 40 years.

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by oppy View Post
    Tight and a tap has always worked for me
    It worked for me for years when things where made out of good old fashioned steel and a bit of victorian thinking in the engineering but now everything seems to be some sort CAD designed lightweight alloy. Former lasting for years, the latter lasting until it is put into use.

Thankyou everyone else. I will get on the internet and have a look.

Richard

Member Number
    Motorhome
    2009 Chausson Flash 08
    Tight and tap is fine for large bolts. I refitted the stator on one of our bikes and the M4 short thread mounting bolts into the new alloy casing (120) were 4nm. That's why we use good quality wrenches.

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    Quote Originally Posted by bobj808 View Post
    Tight and tap is fine for large bolts. I refitted the stator on one of our bikes and the M4 short thread mounting bolts into the new alloy casing (120) were 4nm. That's why we use good quality wrenches.
    That’s probably what the guy who changed the clutch on my VW trike thought before selling it me. 265ft/lb turns out to be more than a 4ft scaffold bar as I discovered when it came loose and crank slid totalling crank
    Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    2009 Chausson Flash 08
    Heh Heh, that's why torque wrenches are good. People ALWAYS overtighten bolts/nuts in my experience. Some of the quick fixes I see at mx meetings are brutal. Manufacturers go to a lot of effort to establish best settings so why not stick to them. They work. Even a cheap wrench is better than guessing as it will put you in the correct ballpark.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Fiat PVC
    Agree about Norbar/Halfords. Search the net for prices though. I bought a new one a couple of months ago and got the Norbar 10 cheaper than Halfords (same wrench, just rebadged) even with their trade card price applied.
    Likes bobj808 liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information