Thread: Mutiny on a dialysis ward !

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Fiat Ducato Enlagh Marlin 2004

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkslass View Post
    Hi Andrew,
    Maybe a quick word with PALS.?
    I can understand the concern about food out from the fridge for a number of hours, but surely that's down to each patient to decide. If there is no medical reason I can't see a problem. Surely as adults they are allowed to make their own decisions.
    Good luck .
    You are Right! the nanny state is here.
    Just wandering around and loving it.
    Thanks yorkslass thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    You all have to be realistic, while in the care of the NHS, they have a duty of care to those they are caring for. If someone in their care has a reaction to food brought in from outside NHS usual route, then NHS can be held libel. That said, not all NHS food is palatable, bit of a post code lottery.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.
    Likes Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1997 Lunar Road Star 570 2001 BMW 1150RS
    Vive Le Revolution---go for it Andrew--be revolting
    Be the best that you can, without causing pain to others
    Likes channa liked this post

Member Number
    It's a bit of a shame because the food helped pass the time during treatment and provided a common bond between you all during your dialysis.

I can understand the hospital wanting only their own food but it's not as though you eat nhs food for breakfast or when you get back home nhs food for tea.

Hopefully with some discussion some compromise can be agreed.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Vw lt 35
    Many moons ago my daughter underwent 12 cycles of chemotherapy in Birmingham children’s hospital.
    Indian food always does smell delicious to me, though I thought it was out of order that the ward was full of the smell, because parents who brought food in for Themselves to eat, not the child patient, wouldnt eat it in the kitchen......during 3 cycles of chemo, the smell never bothered my daughter, during 9 of them, it sometimes made her feel sick and wretch.....so much so that we had to get her a bed next to a window, and have fans bringing fresh air in.
    Not once did we complain though, I admit I wanted to but my daughter didn’t, such a level head on young shoulders, she’s still the voice of reason to this day lol.
    The samosa and kebab never smell as pungent as other Indian foods, but maybe someone on dialysis has complained?
    Likes harrow, mariesnowgoose liked this post
    Thanks Alf thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacar
    Andrew, whatever you do, don't shout or lose your temper, be polite and measured but most of all tell

the stupid old trout to feck off, stop treating you like kids and to go stick her head in a vice.

I often find a reasonable response usually works!
    Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by rulers as useful.
    Likes mariesnowgoose liked this post
    Thanks channa thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    so MRSA and worse is frequently caught in hospitals and some patients die...... yet it is assumed, (with no tests to prove the hygenic qualities of the food brought in my patients' families) that "outside food" is toxic.......

remind me channa... who has the catering contract for this hospital ? (wink wink)
    Likes channa liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Soon!!!
    Having run a chemotherapy unit, I can understand some of the pressures the sister may be under. It is foolish however, not to have organised a reasoned discussion with the patients rather than imposing a rule with no rationale! If the reason is good hygiene, or possible allergies or dietary issues, the patients are all adults who are perfectly capable of deciding whether they want to take any risks ( if there are any). Are people allowed to bring and eat their own food still but not to share? Maybe someone ( their delegated spokesperson ) could meet with sister, a dietitian, and also with the Matron for the speciality and explain the issue from the patients' perspective. As suggested, taking it from the "patient centered veiwpoint" this appears to be an arbitrary decision. Is there a patient representative on the hospital board who could give support. CQC might take note of it but are unlikely to take action immediately, PALS should however be a good resource.
    Good luck!
    Likes delicagirl, harrow, mariesnowgoose, channa liked this post
    Thanks channa thanked for this post

Pauljenny is offline PHEASANT PLUCKER
    Name: Where's Me- Wallet
    Spouse: Long suffering

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Indigo
    Could it be that they are worried about being Sued if someone was taken ill, after eating unauthorised food.
    Even if the illness was not caused by the goodies brought by the patients, that would be difficult to prove.
    The lawyers would be down like a flock of vultures.
    I feel that this is a major reason the NHS is cash starved.
    Bu99er, innit?
    It's not where you live... It's HOW you live..
    Likes mariesnowgoose, izwozral liked this post
    Thanks mariesnowgoose thanked for this post

mariesnowgoose is offline Unreformed Mongoose
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: She's picking on me again

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauljenny View Post
    Could it be that they are worried about being Sued if someone was taken ill, after eating unauthorised food.
    Even if the illness was not caused by the goodies brought by the patients, that would be difficult to prove.
    The lawyers would be down like a flock of vultures.
    I feel that this is a major reason the NHS is cash starved.
    Bu99er, innit?

Good point, Paul.

I wonder if there's ever been a case of a hospital being sued by a patient because they became ill from eating food brought in from outside?
    Bet you large sums of money there has't!

I can understand medical reasons for not allowing individuals to eat stuff they shouldn't because of their condition, but surely it's up to each individual to choose?

Didn't flowers get banned from hospital wards a good while ago? Must be time for home made grub to follow.

What a grey, soulless world we're creating

Come back anarchy, all is forgiven!
    Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    There but for the grace of God go I
    Likes izwozral, Pauljenny liked this post
    Thanks Pauljenny thanked for this post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information