CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mutiny on a dialysis ward !

Member Number
    Motorhome
    swift

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    A point that authority has overlooked, is that, if you can get peeps who are unwell/off their food , eating, that should be a priority.Eating something overrides eating nothing, and as as been said, it creates community and unity at a difficult time.
    Likes channa, mariesnowgoose, jeanette liked this post

Pauljenny is offline PHEASANT PLUCKER
    Name: Where's Me- Wallet
    Spouse: Long suffering

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Indigo
    [QUOTE=mariesnowgoose;992714]Good point, Paul.

I wonder if there's ever been a case of a hospital being sued by ....
    Sorry phone battery got bored and went to sleep.
    Last edited by Pauljenny; 05-02-2019 at 14:44.
    It's not where you live... It's HOW you live..

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B598PL
    Having worked all my days in a residential outdoor pursuits centre (where the food was excellent), one of the biggest limiting factors for our catering staff and indeed for the confectionary etc that the kids brought with them for their stay was nut content!

During my career the number of allergies that were discovered or came to prominence exploded and the one that was most difficult to accommodate was nut allergy in all of its levels of severity. Usually we were warned some weeks before and the visiting school had policies in place, particularly within the class were such sufferer was a member.

I wonder if the slightly more variable clientele of a hospital treatment unit has a bearing on such decisions since it would be difficult to say yes to food one week and no the following week due to the change in circumstances in the unit.

I would almost be inclined to think that poor communication is the problem. Such decision having been taken is not properly explained to clients, or indeed such a rule has been in place for some time but allowed to slip and periodically needs reinforcing?

Davy
    Likes channa, delicagirl, Alf, mariesnowgoose liked this post
    Thanks Alf thanked for this post

Pauljenny is offline PHEASANT PLUCKER
    Name: Where's Me- Wallet
    Spouse: Long suffering

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Indigo
    Too true, Marie.
    In the early 90s, we nursery proprietors were "invited" by our Social Services Minders to attend a "Symposium ", on the health and safety implications of the upcoming Children's Act.
    The Food Wallahs parroted all the food handling regulations. The question was raised about home made birthday cakes and things that they children had made , with Mum, to bring and share. Also The variety of input from overseas clients , celebrating family and religious events.

We were told that this would no longer be accepted practice. We must only accept shop bought items in their intact packaging and able to verify the use by date and ingredients.
    The party line was that this must cease. Marks and Spencer Caterpillar cakes, would be perfectly acceptable, Tesco Swiss rolls, too.
    This raised a growl of protest.. Every birthday party would be the same, devoid of any family input.E numbers? Palm oil?
    We asked for evidence of the number of complaints received of poisoning by such circumstances they had received.. They scratched their heads and replied that they would check and report back after lunch.
    Lunch was extended by an hour, before they returned. Not one single incident had been reported,in the previous 5 years. We were advised to continue as we were, but exercise due diligence..
    In the quarter century since then, I'm convinced that people are more litigious, less aware of household hygiene and there is an army of lawyers looking at ways to finance the new Mercedes.
    It's not where you live... It's HOW you live..
    Thanks Alf, mariesnowgoose thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    While I totally understand folks on the ward not happy with hospital moving the goalposts, take Pret a Manger and the tragic results of when contents within foods are not detailed correctly.

Second Pret a Manger allergy-link victim identified - BBC News

Where there's blame there's a claim.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.
    Likes Alf liked this post

mariesnowgoose is offline Unreformed Mongoose
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: She's picking on me again

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    Quote Originally Posted by runnach View Post
    While I totally understand folks on the ward not happy with hospital moving the goalposts, take Pret a Manger and the tragic results of when contents within foods are not detailed correctly.

Second Pret a Manger allergy-link victim identified - BBC News

Where there's blame there's a claim.
    Yes, but in this case, surely the relative/friend supplying the home cooked food would be the ones at fault?
    Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    There but for the grace of God go I

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacar
    Quote Originally Posted by mariesnowgoose View Post
    Yes, but in this case, surely the relative/friend supplying the home cooked food would be the ones at fault?
    The way society is these days some families would sue each other if meant an easy dollar.
    Paul gives a prefect example of how things have become and he is talking about 20 plus years ago and things have gotten worse since then.

Gawd, this is getting so depressing.
    Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by rulers as useful.
    Likes mariesnowgoose liked this post
    Thanks Pauljenny, mariesnowgoose thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    Quote Originally Posted by mariesnowgoose View Post
    Which is a good point, Marie. However, food shared out in this instance among others receiving dialysis, who are in the care of their area NHS Trust, take an adverse affect to an ingredient within food brought in from outside trust control, I'm afraid the trust would be liable, as patients are in their care and, trust deemed to have failed in their duty of care for a said patient taking ill, or dying from a food allergy.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.
    Likes Alf liked this post
    Thanks Pauljenny, Alf, mariesnowgoose thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    A little update the natives have settled down and accepted their toast, that said we had the dietician and consultant on ward yesterday so perhaps sister just tidying the ship.

I got my ear bent upon reflection I understand why , last Thursday a taxi mate Ali normally travels home in an ambulance and needs a wheelchair to get to the ambulance , No sign of it when we finished so I pushed him to the taxi ferrying me ,Dave the driver a tad unsteady lovely bloke was happy he got shot too all under the proviso I am not insured to push fellow patients

Whilst I fully get it, I do find it sad the bloke could have been sat there for hours literally wants to get home and a good Samaritan act falls foul of legislation.

Channa
    Likes mariesnowgoose, Alf liked this post

mariesnowgoose is offline Unreformed Mongoose
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: She's picking on me again

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    A little update the natives have settled down and accepted their toast, that said we had the dietician and consultant on ward yesterday so perhaps sister just tidying the ship.

I got my ear bent upon reflection I understand why , last Thursday a taxi mate Ali normally travels home in an ambulance and needs a wheelchair to get to the ambulance , No sign of it when we finished so I pushed him to the taxi ferrying me ,Dave the driver a tad unsteady lovely bloke was happy he got shot too all under the proviso I am not insured to push fellow patients

Whilst I fully get it, I do find it sad the bloke could have been sat there for hours literally wants to get home and a good Samaritan act falls foul of legislation.

Channa
    I'd be same as you, channa. Well up for taking a rap on the knuckles for using a bit of common sense and compassion, sod authority & nanny state rules.

After all, what can they do after the event?
    They can't exactly spank your bot or send you to jail, and an ear bashing doesn't hurt anyone physically

Long live anarchy!
    Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    There but for the grace of God go I
    Likes channa, ian1950, Pauljenny, Alf liked this post
    Thanks channa thanked for this post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information