CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mutiny on a dialysis ward !

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100

Mutiny on a dialysis ward !

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Well all hell has broke loose on my dialysis ward, Sister in her wisdom has decided to ban kebabs and samosas at refreshment time and our Asian contingent which is everyone but me is up in arms

The food is brought in by patients, and supplements the two rounds of toast and cup of tea gifted by the NHS,

Whilst she may be justified ( I personally don't think so ) a great example of poor management, decides new policy on Friday implemented Saturday after a patient brought food in and you've guessed it a day off so all the messangers got shot this type of management style really disappoints me I have little respect for people with no backbone.

It might be a cultural thing too, Asian people gift food it seems as a mark of respect for others , indeed one fella apologised to me (one not required but hey ho)

Back on ward tomorrow so we will see whats happened today , a close call in some ways for my turn to provide nibbles was looming and I did intend Curried chicken parcels.....I have a sneaky idea I might be volunteered as spokesman.

It seems I am always in bother it is just the depth that varies

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto-trail Scout
    Jan, who is a retired Care Manager, was dismayed to hear your tale. She is of the opinion that patients should be allowed to eat and drink what they wish unless there is a genuine medical reason not too. I suspect that kebabs and samosas might be healthier than part-burned white bread (but that's just me)! Jan also mentioned that CQC might have something to say about this, so perhaps mentioning an intention to bring this to the CQC's notice might result in a swift reversal of policy?
    Thanks peter palance thanked for this post

mariesnowgoose is offline Unreformed Mongoose
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: She's picking on me again

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    Well all hell has broke loose on my dialysis ward, Sister in her wisdom has decided to ban kebabs and samosas at refreshment time and our Asian contingent which is everyone but me is up in arms

The food is brought in by patients, and supplements the two rounds of toast and cup of tea gifted by the NHS,

Whilst she may be justified ( I personally don't think so ) a great example of poor management, decides new policy on Friday implemented Saturday after a patient brought food in and you've guessed it a day off so all the messangers got shot this type of management style really disappoints me I have little respect for people with no backbone.

It might be a cultural thing too, Asian people gift food it seems as a mark of respect for others , indeed one fella apologised to me (one not required but hey ho)

Back on ward tomorrow so we will see whats happened today , a close call in some ways for my turn to provide nibbles was looming and I did intend Curried chicken parcels.....I have a sneaky idea I might be volunteered as spokesman.

It seems I am always in bother it is just the depth that varies

Channa
    Oh, channa!

Way too much 'elf and shafty these days.

The home cooked grub provided by your Asian friends is probably far safer (and definitely tastier!) than the canteen produced hospital meals.

Sometimes I despair of the world we live in.

Has someone put pressure on Sister from above, or is she just being a jobsworth? Or is there a genuine health reason why it should be this way?

Is the ban on all foodstuffs? Fresh fruit like grapes etc. would come under the same ban unless washed etc. etc. etc.

{sigh}

Good luck, I know you'll be a first class spokesperson if you're called on to speak up for them all

PS. at least it's making time spent in dialysis a bit more interesting for everyone!
    Last edited by mariesnowgoose; 04-02-2019 at 12:41.
    Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    There but for the grace of God go I
    Likes channa, Alf, trevskoda, n brown, yorkslass, jeanette liked this post
    Thanks Alf thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    I can only think of one genuine reason which she hasn't offered and that is the traceability of the food time it has been left standing would possibly upset environmental health putting my chefs hat on. That said no money per se is changing hands so no different to a party at your home if I visited

The argument we are told is some patients are poorly when eating on dialysis, that is perhaps true so why not simply exclude those affected ? rather than a banket ban

Dialysis also depletes protein over the 4 hours so meat is a good replacement and indeed at other units sandwiches are provided same trust

It encourages patients to sneak in snacks namely crisps which are a no no in terms of potassium content

Imagine (because I have) if this had happened in EID .....more than mutiny

Channa
    Likes mariesnowgoose, Alf, yorkslass liked this post

r4dent is offline Mostly Harmless
    Name: Pete
    Spouse: Liza

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bailey Approach
    Good luck with the campaign. Sounds like a jobsworth making a decision that wasn't hers to make.

When my father-in-law was being treated for cancer they had a strict "no alcohol" policy. I spoke with the sensible ward sister and she agreed to one can each when we watched the Formula 1 on Sunday. After a few races I was taking in a dozen cans and every one was watching it. I went back to collect his stuff after he passed and the sister told me they had extended it to cover whatever sporting event was on he TV on Sunday lunch time.

Like I said she was sensible.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Fiat Ducato Enlagh Marlin 2004
    It's probably the smell. some people just don't like it. I myself have a lot of friends of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh origin or descent and to be quite honest, their homes often smell Spicy and a lot better than the Boiled Cabbage and/or wet dog smell that often pervades some european homes.
    I do love some of their traditional dishes too. Nothing like the stuff they serve to the Brits in the restaurants.
    Just wandering around and loving it.
    Likes channa, trevskoda, yorkslass liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCross View Post
    It's probably the smell. some people just don't like it. I myself have a lot of friends of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh origin or descent and to be quite honest, their homes often smell Spicy and a lot better than the Boiled Cabbage and/or wet dog smell that often pervades some european homes.
    I do love some of their traditional dishes too. Nothing like the stuff they serve to the Brits in the restaurants.
    The majority of the staff are Asian as most are bi lingual , the consultant here is Asian

As for Cabbage some folk need the toilet half way through a session commode and curtain and air freshner I know what I prefer to smell 1 .....re the Brit restaurants we have had the same conversation and have tips the best places in Bradford and Dewsbury. I cheffed in India briefly and you are so right nothing like we get here for what I call the Friday night lager lout market

Channa
    Likes trevskoda, mariesnowgoose, time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto sleeper nuevo
    It is the job of management to feck up any system that has worked well for all involved .

Member Number
    CANT BEAT THE GOOD SMELL OF FISH AND CHIPS WHICH HAVE BEEN WRAPPED IN PAPER......
    aww...this is making my mouth water.
    where there is hope , there is a dreamer

Member Number
    Motorhome
    swift
    Hi Andrew,
    Maybe a quick word with PALS.?
    I can understand the concern about food out from the fridge for a number of hours, but surely that's down to each patient to decide. If there is no medical reason I can't see a problem. Surely as adults they are allowed to make their own decisions.
    Good luck .
    Likes channa, mariesnowgoose, maureenandtom liked this post
    Thanks channa thanked for this post

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information