CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Mariesnowgoose, cancer and some community support.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner T595 '07

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Marie
    Take heart.
    Just two years ago I was diagnosed with terminal mesothelioma - asbestosis in the lung lining. I was given a prognosis (life expectancy) of 4 months.

I'M STILL HERE
    LAST AUGUST I BOUGHT A REPLACEMENT VAN (2013 BURSTNER) I USED IT A FEW TIMES LAST YEAR AND AM PLANNING TRIPS FOR 2019

The cancer has now spread to some of the vertibrae in my spine and that gives a lot of pain. Today I had my first radiotherapy session to try to reduce that pain so I do not have to rely so much on medications.

Have faith and life can go on
    May Buddha Bless You

Snod

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs 4 Travel
    Quote Originally Posted by n brown View Post
    a cancer joke to make you smile Attachment 70544

Awesome, I qualify for one of those!
    Likes mariesnowgoose liked this post
    Thanks mariesnowgoose thanked for this post

Member Number
    See there are more people on here than people realize, special people.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Homecar PR62
    Good luck sis
    Likes mariesnowgoose, Pauljenny liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Pilote Galaxy 240
    Just got back from Aintree and was reading this did not realise Marie was going in again - best of luck and take care, lots of hugs
    You can take the girl out of Wales but you cannot take Wales out of the girl

mariesnowgoose is offline Official OTW
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: She's picking on me again

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    OK, so...

Just frantically trying to get hold of my consultant surgeon and breast cancer nurse as I have some questions I need answered before the planned operation on my lymph glands this Thursday. There has been very little communication with 'assigned cancer nurse'. They need at least 5 more cancer nurses at this particular hospital to cope with demand, and I'm guessing the shortage is not unique across the country.

Anyway, once you're in the "sausage machine" I've found it can be hard to get answers to questions that arise as you begin to get your head around the whole process.

I want to know if I can get a full body Cat Scan to determine if there is cancer anywhere else in my body. It is not routinely offered and I am prepared to use a bit of my small pension pot money (read camper van money!) to pay for a scan privately so at least I will know one way or the other, rather then b*gg*ring about having a surgical op here then another one there as they uncover stuff bit by bit...

Suspect I have cancer in the other breast now and no, this is a fact, not me being paranoid. The nipple is inverting itself, a sure-fire sign that cancer is present. So I may need another mastectomy and all the time this goes on I have no idea if or where there may be cancer elsewhere.

Cat Scans are not offered routinely for breast cancer I guess, but I wonder why not? Is it just a money/resource thing?

Makes sense to me to have the full picture first before they cut me up some more! Does that seem sensible to you guys? It does to me.

Anyway, I shall see what the consultant surgeon who wants me under the knife again has to say for himself

More later

PS I am getting my fighting pecker up! After all, these b*gg*rs earn around £100k so should be made to earn it
    Last edited by mariesnowgoose; 16-04-2019 at 12:50.
    Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    There but for the grace of God go I
    Likes winks, delicagirl liked this post
    Thanks Silver sprinter thanked for this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by mariesnowgoose View Post
    OK, so...

Just frantically trying to get hold of my consultant surgeon and breast cancer nurse as I have some questions I need answered before the planned operation on my lymph glands this Thursday. There has been very little communication with 'assigned cancer nurse'. They need at least 5 more cancer nurses at this particular hospital to cope with demand, and I'm guessing the shortage is not unique across the country.

Anyway, once you're in the "sausage machine" I've found it can be hard to get answers to questions that arise as you begin to get your head around the whole process.

I want to know if I can get a full body Cat Scan to determine if there is cancer anywhere else in my body. It is not routinely offered and I am prepared to use a bit of my small pension pot money (read camper van money!) to pay for a scan privately so at least I will know one way or the other, rather then b*gg*ring about having a surgical op here then another one there as they uncover stuff bit by bit...

Suspect I have cancer in the other breast now and no, this is a fact, not me being paranoid. The nipple is inverting itself, a sure-fire sign that cancer is present. So I may need another mastectomy and all the time this goes on I have no idea if or where there may be cancer elsewhere.

Cat Scans are not offered routinely for breast cancer I guess, but I wonder why not? Is it just a money/resource thing?

Makes sense to me to have the full picture first before they cut me up some more! Does that seem sensible to you guys? It does to me.

Anyway, I shall see what the consultant surgeon who wants me under the knife again has to say for himself

More later

PS I am getting my fighting pecker up! After all, these b*gg*rs earn around £100k so should be made to earn it
    All this stuff is not easy,
    yes you can buy a scan and even negotiate a price for it.
    They now know cancers have a "story of what will happen" it bit like knowing your nodes have got to come out.
    The best advise I can give is contact Macmillan Cancer Support and talk it over.

We might have the NHS but they just don't talk and explain things to you.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Gazelle
    Quote Originally Posted by mariesnowgoose View Post
    OK, so...

More later

I’m not too sure about this Marie but if you go and see your GP and he might be able to tell you and as harrow says contact Macmillan Cancer Support also
    Likes harrow liked this post

mariesnowgoose is offline Official OTW
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: She's picking on me again

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanette View Post
    Iím not too sure about this Marie but if you go and see your GP and he might be able to tell you and as harrow says contact Macmillan Cancer Support also
    I tried to get hold of a GP at my practice after this to talk it this through as no joy getting hold of either the consultant or a cancer nurse at the hospital. I've also been talking to MacMillan but they can only help up to a point - it is the medical staff at the hospital who are directly involved with my surgery and treatments who need to be talking to me as they are the only ones who have all the medical notes!!
    The only cancer nurse available at the hospital was working away at Darlington today, but I've been promised by the consultant's secretary (who knows I'm not happy - understatement!) that the cancer nurse will ring me back tomorrow. Doubt whether that will get me anywhere either. Secretary also told me that they actually need 5 more cancer nurses at the hospital to cope with the number of caseloads, but they only have two. Says it all, ey?

Back to GP - phoned my practice and all 'phone calls' with doctors are fully booked (!!!) for the next two days and no spare slots, they eventually got back after I kicked up a fuss and said they had a slot with the senior practice nurse at 3 this afternoon. I have been. Sympathetic but no further forward, they have no access to hospital notes and couldn't interpret them anyway. The agreed it was dreadful I'd had no follow up support, but could only offer to be there if I needed to talk.

FFS! I am sick of being fobbed off and TBH I am getting really, really angry now.
    Sometimes we women are treated as second class citizens. I feel like that right now and I've had quite enough of it.

1. No response, support or feedback from the hospital
    2. No support from the GP practice

It's a bloody disgrace.

I may cancel the operation on Thursday on the grounds that I haven't been fully informed at this stage (and not because I don't want it or think it's necessary) then try to find out how to go about getting a private PET/CT scan. How I go about that I don't know, but I will just have to find out myself, won't I? There's nobody else to help me with this except myself so I'll just have to get on with it!
    Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    There but for the grace of God go I

Member Number
    I had a friend at work who phoned round for CT scans and bargained down a nhs hospital for the best price.

Its not only women, Sometimes we women are treated as second class citizens

But your not the only one, my December appointment was cancelled 3 times,
    seen in January doctor says I need more surgery and I will phone you,

scan appointment arrives in March and had surgery last week,

I never got that phone call or a doctor telling me what they were going to do.

I walked around with my phone in my pocket for months waiting for that phone call.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread Information