CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mobile speed cameras and customs

Member Number
    Motorhome
    swift

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I think it's an age thing,
    Any sign of authority had me quaking in my shoes, but when I think what we were told it's hardly surprising, the most common being that the policeman will take you away if your naughty. No wonder we're traumatised for life.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by antiquesam View Post
    Why do we always feel guilty when we pass these, even though we know we are innocent? Perhaps it's just me
    I dont, and what really pees me off is these people who brake when they see a speed camera no matter what speed they are doing. They are clearly totally unaware of either the speed limit on the road or the speed they are doing (along with those idiots who dawdle at 40MPH on clear country roads where the limit is 60 and as soon as they get into the town and enter the 30MPH area they carry on doing 40MPH).
    Ref customs, I quite enjoy those various TV Customs Programs with those folk who come up with the most ridiculous explanations on why they were carrying 20,000 cigarettes or 20L of Vokda (if you're gonna smuggle, at least make an effort to do it properly!)
    Find me on motorhomer.com, a Brexit-Free Zone
    Likes mariesnowgoose liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    I was regularly stopped in Dover on the way home when I was working abroad

Once I was stopped and they went to town. took the spare wheel off and xrayed an effort on a ducato took great interest in my calypso gas bottle so that got x rayed too about 5 of them crawling about my van

Bloke said to me we stopped you because you looked nervous ...I looked back said bollocks don't bullshit single bloke out the country for months solo with a German Shepheard dog with a fine pair of teeth.. if I were you Id stop me !

He sort of agreed admitted my observations were credible 20 mins later on my way

All a game that's all it is pointless getting wound up

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    I was regularly stopped in Dover on the way home when I was working abroad

Once I was stopped and they went to town. took the spare wheel off and xrayed an effort on a ducato took great interest in my calypso gas bottle so that got x rayed too about 5 of them crawling about my van

Bloke said to me we stopped you because you looked nervous ...I looked back said bollocks don't bullshit single bloke out the country for months solo with a German Shepheard dog with a fine pair of teeth.. if I were you Id stop me !

He sort of agreed admitted my observations were credible 20 mins later on my way

All a game that's all it is pointless getting wound up

Channa
    At one time, either Custom Officers or similar were onboard lots of ferry's and the officers on shore were given registration plate identification of vehicles to pull for a check.
    They even sat in cars outside tabac shops on the Spanish border
    Tramping the Dream, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine at the Rainbow end!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Sprinter
    Quote Originally Posted by grath View Post
    At one time, either Custom Officers or similar were onboard lots of ferry's and the officers on shore were given registration plate identification of vehicles to pull for a check.
    They even sat in cars outside tabac shops on the Spanish border
    Bet their ashtrays were full.
    Likes grath liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    N+B Arto 69GL(2003)
    Some of the hardest customs officers are the ones in cargo ports who wear boiler suits to go into the worst parts of ships, known as 'Rummage Squads'

Because our airline flew cars from Southampton Airport some of them were sent up to examine the freighters.

We had a company radio in Operations to advise our ETA and whenever custome were on the apron we got a message 'Romeo on arrival'. Of course Customs did not have a radio with aeronautical frequencies.

Another nice story:-

I was flying an executive aircraft from Cambridge Airport when one of our car ferry aircraft arrived with horses from Dublin and there were lots of handlers etc. milling around. The First Officer, Roly a friend of mine was walking to the Tower to file the return flight plan.

A guy in a tweed jacket stopped him and said 'You have not cleared Customs'.

Quick as a flash Roly said 'Who are you?'

'Customs',

'Where is your ID?'

'Come to my Office'

The Customs Office tore him off a strip. After which Roly replied that the Customs Officer was in breach of Regulation '12XXX' for no uniform and Regulation 265XXX for no ID.

He had picked on probably the only First Officer in UK Civil Aviation who had been a Customs Officer.

Nice one,Eh?

Geoff

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger
    when i was younger and splendidly hirsute we got pulled every time coming back to blighty. every bloody time! same boring questions and stupid tricks
    i used to say to them '' get the stupid dog in and let's stop fannying around ,and while he's finding sod-all, why don't you check out these retired respectable types in their smart custom builds- theyll be the ones carrying a load .''

little did i know that years later i'd be a member of a forum full of retired respectable types in custom vans !

aaahh, but was i wrong ?
    too blessed to be stressed
    Likes mark61 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Talbot Bedouin
    When I lived in West Yorkshire, I frequently travelled along the A640 to join the M62 at Jcn 21.
    A regular place for the speed check was in Newhey, after coming down that steep hill where most were over the speed limit.

Fortunately, a helpful farmer regularly put a sign up advising the speed check was in place, just before descending the hill !!

They must have thought we were all careful drivers in that area !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information