CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Thread: 3D printing.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E

3D printing.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I just love my job.

Long story short, Mrs R VW EOS, which has a folding tin roof, which also has a sun roof . Sunroof motor gear, which is plastic/nylon injection design, part of the gear teeth stripped, basically rendering opening sunroof and tin roof opening useless.

Motor works well, just a section of stripped teeth area causing the problem (plus another part outwith motor I have to look at) Cost of replacement motor/assembly through usual culprits ranging from 150 to 200.

Brainwave (yes I do still have them) 3D printed gear wheel, still to be installed, but I am optimistic, see images.

Ps, black gear is 3D printed new part.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by runnach; 11-03-2019 at 21:37.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.
    Thanks Alf thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner T660 Nexxo
    Quote Originally Posted by runnach View Post
    I just love my job.

Long story short, Mrs R VW EOS, which has a folding tin roof, which also has a sun roof . Sunroof motor gear, which is plastic/nylon injection design, part of the gear teeth stripped, basically rendering opening sunroof and tin roof opening useless.

Motor works well, just a section of stripped teeth area causing the problem (plus another part outwith motor I have to look at) Cost of replacement motor/assembly through usual culprits ranging from 150 to 200.

Brainwave (yes I do still have them) 3D printed gear wheel, still to be installed, but I am optimistic, see images.

Ps, black gear is 3D printed new part.
    Did you scan the broken part and if so how do you get round the scanned stripped teeth other than doctoring on a 3D cad package. Is the material of the 3D printed version as durable as the original?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by saxonborg View Post
    Did you scan the broken part and if so how do you get round the scanned stripped teeth other than doctoring on a 3D cad package. Is the material of the 3D printed version as durable as the original?
    No scanning done, as the printer works on an older back to basic type program system. Digital caliper, protractor (teeth @ 10*) and old school skills, used.

Durability: will soon find out on motor reassembly?

Optimistic, though!!
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.
    Likes Alf, saxonborg liked this post
    Thanks saxonborg thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Looks like the same wheel used on all wiper motors,bet any motor could have been made to fit,the jobs a good un though.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger
    my son was making or buying a plastic recycling unit for his printer. presumably it could turn different grades of plastic into the wire used.
    too blessed to be stressed

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    Check the rest of the mechanism as going from experience it will be a tight/ semi seized part that has caused the damage in the first place. Good work. Nice to see an auld welder embracing modern technology.
    Likes Alf liked this post
    Thanks Alf thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    Looks like the same wheel used on all wiper motors,bet any motor could have been made to fit,the jobs a good un though.
    Motors fine, Trev. It is the white nylon gear wheel that is fubar'd.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by n brown View Post
    my son was making or buying a plastic recycling unit for his printer. presumably it could turn different grades of plastic into the wire used.
    A good way to for you're son to feed his machine for much cheapness, Mr Broon. What does he make?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
    Check the rest of the mechanism as going from experience it will be a tight/ semi seized part that has caused the damage in the first place. Good work. Nice to see an auld welder embracing modern technology.
    Oi, less o the "Auld".

I forgot to add, I'll be giving the sliding mechanism a good going over before refitting motor.
    Likes caledonia liked this post
    Thanks caledonia thanked for this post

Thread Information