CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Petition to sack jailed MPs'

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Vantage Neo

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Or, how about a petition to ban petitions?
    Likes caledonia, winks liked this post
    Thanks caledonia thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffL View Post
    It might be more about situations like that. However, it would automatically apply to "conscientious objectors", i.e. people who choose to go to prison in protest rather than conform to a law they perceive to be wrong and with which their conscience won't let them comply. Personally, I'd want to retain MPs who have enough backbone to go to prison rather than "roll over", so I'm not signing.
    I think you are reaching a bit far with that one.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    Quote Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
    Have poeple not got better things to do with their time. Who gives a sh1t we know they are all professional bullsh1ters. Petitions like this really p1ss me off.
    Well you voted them in.
    Likes Tbear liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autocruise Vista
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffL View Post
    Personally, I'd want to retain MPs who have enough backbone to go to prison rather than "roll over", so I'm not signing.
    Very well said.

Seems clear enough to me that any MP convicted of offences involving corruption, dishonesty (inc perjury, perverting the course of justice), violence, cruelty or abuse is not fit to represent the electorate. However we should value those who have the courage to stand up against injustice, the likes of Terry Fields who went to prison for refusing to pay the Poll Tax.
    https://woollyramblers.wordpress.com/
    https://woollywanderers.wordpress.com/
    Likes trevskoda, britcoms liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    Quote Originally Posted by maingate View Post
    Well you voted them in.
    Wrong. You might have, I didnít.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Iveco daily mwb high top panel van..
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunr68 View Post
    Very well said.

Seems clear enough to me that any MP convicted of offences involving corruption, dishonesty (inc perjury, perverting the course of justice), violence, cruelty or abuse is not fit to represent the electorate. However we should value those who have the courage to stand up against injustice, the likes of Terry Fields who went to prison for refusing to pay the Poll Tax.
    if the mp is sacked for being convicted and sent to jail there will have to be a by election, your mp who went to jail for pollitical reasons can presumably stand as a candidate and let his former constituents show their support or lack of it.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto-trail Scout
    Very well said.

FWIW, I've just discovered the "Recall of MPs Act 2015", which provides for the recall (i.e. sacking) of any MP who is sent to prison or suspended from the House for at least 21 sitting days. Under this Act, imprisonment or suspension triggers a recall petition in the MP's constituency. This remains open for eight weeks and if signed by at least 10% of constituents, results in the MP's seat being declared vacant and a by-election to be called.

So, the change called for in the petition isn't necessary as adequate legislation exists.
    Last edited by GeoffL; 14-03-2019 at 19:46.
    Likes delicagirl liked this post
    Thanks shaunr68 thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    On the face of it,it seems like a no brainer,however I do question the motives of the people that start some of these petitions,I have no idea who Simon Newton is,and there's no information given about him. Also I would question why people from Belgium, Australia and others are allowed to sign petitions that affect the political processes of the UK.
    668,the neighbour of the beast.
    Likes winks liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Very well said.

Agreed a lot of our female membership I dare say have the utmost respect for Emily Pankhurst and some of the female MPs since who have fought the injustice for women

I would be a twat if I were female

Channa

Member Number
    Just received my Notice of petition to remove the MP for Peterborough, Fiona Onasanya.

Seems that I have to go along to my local library between 19th of March and 1st of May. Then if enough sign we can have a by-election but it does not say when so Peterborough does not have an MP in any political party through the rest of the Brexit process. I am left feeling a little miffed at and frustrated with our political leadership at present.

It would be nice if the labour party sorted her out rather than just washing their hands of her but as she is a black, disabled, female solicitor! What's the chance of that happening?

Richard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information