CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS


Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45

Thread: Petition to sack jailed MPs'

  1. #21

    Member Number
    71275
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    270
    Location
    Cornwall
    Motorhome
    Auto-trail Scout


    CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbear View Post
    Just received my Notice of petition to remove the MP for Peterborough, Fiona Onasanya.

    Seems that I have to go along to my local library between 19th of March and 1st of May. Then if enough sign we can have a by-election but it does not say when so Peterborough does not have an MP in any political party through the rest of the Brexit process. I am left feeling a little miffed at and frustrated with our political leadership at present.

    It would be nice if the labour party sorted her out rather than just washing their hands of her but as she is a black, disabled, female solicitor! What's the chance of that happening?

    Richard
    It has nothing to do with the Labour Party; It's the law. The Recall of MPs Act 2015 requires that a recall petition be raised in respect of any MP who spends more than 21 sitting days in prison. Although the above link says that the petition must run for 8 weeks, the actual SI says 6 weeks and also gives the timing for when the petition must first be available for signing. The relevant seat is declared vacant and a by-election triggered if more than 10% of those on the electoral register for the constituency have signed.

  2. #22

    Member Number
    11672
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,508
    It has everything to do with the labour party. The law sets out the way the Peterborough can spend vast amounts of money which it cannot afford on months of work to try and remove someone who is clearly upfit to serve. It has undertaken to do this.This does not absolve any political party or indeed any group of people there collective responsibility for their individual members actions. To say it does shows no pride in the group. I would expect a large political body such as the labour party to show a little pride and take some action other than sticking their head well and truly in the sand.

    Richard

  3. #23

    Member Number
    38839
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    7,799
    Location
    Nantwich
    Motorhome
    Bessacar
    David Steele knew for years that Cyril Smith was abusing children but decided it "did not concern him" so said nothing. What planet are these idiots on?
    Likes winks, delicagirl liked this post

  4. #24

    Member Number
    71275
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    270
    Location
    Cornwall
    Motorhome
    Auto-trail Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbear View Post
    It has everything to do with the labour party. The law sets out the way the Peterborough can spend vast amounts of money which it cannot afford on months of work to try and remove someone who is clearly upfit to serve. It has undertaken to do this.This does not absolve any political party or indeed any group of people there collective responsibility for their individual members actions. To say it does shows no pride in the group. I would expect a large political body such as the labour party to show a little pride and take some action other than sticking their head well and truly in the sand.

    Richard
    I think you might have misunderstood. I referred to the petition, which has nothing to do with Labour. The petition happened because the MP concerned was sentenced to 3 months imprisonment, which triggered action under the Recall of MPs Act. Regarding the 'vast amounts of money' that Peterborough can spend on the petition, AFAICT that's limited to 10,000 for an 'accredited campaigner' and 500 for anyone else.

    Now I have to ask just what the Labour Party could do to remove her from office. The electorate voted for a person, not a party. So even if the local Labour Party deselected her or the National party withdrew the whip, she would still be the member for her constituency -- she just would not be able to stand as a Labour candidate at the next election. I don't think that the local labour party can be responsible for one of their number lying to police in an attempt to avoid a speeding fine and the 'best' they can do is disown (i.e. deselect) the person concerned. However, that would not remove the MP from office.
    Likes korky, delicagirl liked this post

  5. #25

    Member Number
    32936
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,874
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    Quote Originally Posted by izwozral View Post
    David Steele knew for years that Cyril Smith was abusing children but decided it "did not concern him" so said nothing. What planet are these idiots on?
    David Steeles son grew cannabis in the family home for years. Probably never concerned him either. Good sh1t it was too. Apparently. 😇

  6. #26

    Member Number
    11672
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,508
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffL View Post
    I think you might have misunderstood. I referred to the petition, which has nothing to do with Labour. The petition happened because the MP concerned was sentenced to 3 months imprisonment, which triggered action under the Recall of MPs Act. Regarding the 'vast amounts of money' that Peterborough can spend on the petition, AFAICT that's limited to 10,000 for an 'accredited campaigner' and 500 for anyone else.

    Now I have to ask just what the Labour Party could do to remove her from office. The electorate voted for a person, not a party. So even if the local Labour Party deselected her or the National party withdrew the whip, she would still be the member for her constituency -- she just would not be able to stand as a Labour candidate at the next election. I don't think that the local labour party can be responsible for one of their number lying to police in an attempt to avoid a speeding fine and the 'best' they can do is disown (i.e. deselect) the person concerned. However, that would not remove the MP from office.
    The petition would not have been necessary if she had resigned. We will never know how much pressure she was under to do the honorable thing. The opposition, no matter which party is in at the time, love to scream for people to resign. On this occasion it seemed very quit on that front. rather labour where shouting that she was nothing to do with them as they had withdrawn the whip. Easier than face being accused of bullying the poor dear! Too easy to just leave it all to due process, that way no one has to take any responsibility and she still pockets an MPs salary.

    I have no idea what the financial limits are or what constraints there are on them but everyone on the electoral list got the letter which is three in my household. How much do you think that has cost across the entire city compared to a nursery place. I know which I would rather they spent their money on. This is only the beginning of the spending.

    I think the whole thing is a complete travesty but I can see we will never agree so I leave you with the final word.

    Richard

  7. #27

    Member Number
    71275
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    270
    Location
    Cornwall
    Motorhome
    Auto-trail Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbear View Post
    The petition would not have been necessary if she had resigned. We will never know how much pressure she was under to do the honorable thing.
    I agree -- the petition would not have been necessary if she had resigned. However, the limit of labour's pressure is to withdraw the whip (at national level) or deselect (at local level). Anything further would have probably been tantamount to blackmail or extortion, and I'm sure that you wouldn't encourage anyone to commit such a heinous crime!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tbear View Post
    The opposition, no matter which party is in at the time, love to scream for people to resign. On this occasion it seemed very quit on that front. rather labour where shouting that she was nothing to do with them as they had withdrawn the whip. Easier than face being accused of bullying the poor dear! Too easy to just leave it all to due process, that way no one has to take any responsibility and she still pockets an MPs salary.
    (my bold)
    Once the Labour Party withdrew the whip, that MP was nothing to do with them; she was no longer a Labour MP and, effectively, had been expelled from the party. They have exercised the limit of their powers, and I can't see what more they could have lawfully done. I suspect that the Parliamentary Disciplinary Committee might have powers, but only to suspend -- with the same resulting recall petition.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tbear View Post
    I have no idea what the financial limits are or what constraints there are on them but everyone on the electoral list got the letter which is three in my household. How much do you think that has cost across the entire city compared to a nursery place. I know which I would rather they spent their money on. This is only the beginning of the spending.
    The financial limits for campaigners are enshrined in the Act. Meanwhile I suspect that the petition officer must minimise expenditure and that this is reimbursed from central funds rather than borne by the local authority. Sure, over half of the expenditure would be unecessary if only she'd resigned, but she didn't and I blame her for incurring the expense rather than 'the system'. That said, the cost of a by-election would still be incurred.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tbear View Post
    I think the whole thing is a complete travesty but I can see we will never agree so I leave you with the final word.

    Richard
    I'm not sure that we don't agree -- in principle. However, the law doesn't provide what I infer you want and so we're left with what is possible.

    Geoff

  8. #28

    Member Number
    49835
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,360
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    Apparently she's innocent,even though a court of law says otherwise,I really can't abide people that can't put their hands up and just admit when they've made a mistake.

    Fiona Onasanya makes video appeal to voters to keep her as their MP | UK news | The Guardian
    Sent From My Cheap Mobile Using Tapafatfinger.
    Likes maingate, delicagirl liked this post

  9. #29

    Member Number
    29434
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,873
    Motorhome
    Auto sleeper nuevo
    I don't do online petitions ,how do you know they are not e mail address collectors.?

  10. #30

    Member Number
    46529
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,580
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    Apparently she's innocent,even though a court of law says otherwise,I really can't abide people that can't put their hands up and just admit when they've made a mistake.

    Fiona Onasanya makes video appeal to voters to keep her as their MP | UK news | The Guardian
    what a load of old cobblers..... Basically "I am innocent" . She made no comment at all about her offence. just "vote for me".
    Likes Asterix liked this post

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •