r4dent is offline Mostly Harmless
    Name: Pete
    Spouse: Liza

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bailey Approach

Asbestos

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

We have just had a leak which damaged the kitchen ceiling. I contacted the insurance company and sent them a picture of the damage.

The immediately called me back and asked if the ceiling was Artex and if so was it installed before 2000.

I confirmed "yes" & "yes".

Then the bombshell..... Upto 2000 most Artex contained asbestos and they woud send a surveyor round to take samples.

The guy turned up; changed into an Xfiles outfit and took samples.
    He sealed the damage and said the company would run the samples through their lab and let us know the outcome.

So if you have an Artex ceiling and it is damaged get the experts in.

Don't panic the ceiling is perfectly save so long as it isn't damaged. But don't drill or screw into it

Be careful out there !
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    Likes time4t liked this post
    Thanks 2cv thanked for this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by r4dent View Post

We have just had a leak which damaged the kitchen ceiling. I contacted the insurance company and sent them a picture of the damage.

The immediately called me back and asked if the ceiling was Artex and if so was it installed before 2000.

Then the bombshell..... Upto 2000 most Artex contained asbestos and they woud send a surveyor round to take samples.

He sealed the damage and said the company would run the samples through their lab and let us know the outcome.

Don't panic the ceiling is perfectly save so long as it isn't damaged. But don't drill or screw into it

Be careful out there !
    As a aircon engineer installing in buildings of various ages.... Your average Joe public would be scared shirtless by the amount of stuff that contains ACMs (asbestos containing materials)

Artex/floor tiles/pipe lagging/coatings/protective coatings on steelwork etc....
    Pipe gasket and beyond....

Always best to be on your guard when dealing with older buildings.

Asbestos Containing Materials (ACMs) | Asbestos Information Centre
    Thanks Alf thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    Artex was made with asbestos until the mid 80s, anything after that was old stock. We had our house tested last year, as it had 80s Artex on couple of ceilings, ours tested negative.

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by r4dent View Post

Be careful out there !
    Yes asbestos, wonderful stuff just don't breath in the dust.

It can be in soffits and facias, gutters, roofing, wall insulation, fire doors, lavatory cisterns, floor tiles, fuses, fuse boxes, you name it, it might be there.
    Likes Alf liked this post
    Thanks Alf thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    Horrible stuff and way to go if infected with asbestos. Any builds after year 2000, should be asbestos free. Older commercial buildings, such as universities, should have a compiled asbestos register of the building/s, which should be referred to prior to any works commencing.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.

Member Number
    Not in the UK but will give some idea of the problems,

Further information can be found with our own HSE Asbestos resources - videos
    Thanks runnach thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    HYMER ML I
    One of the biggest con going is the branding of Cryolite as asbestos, it is not and has never been, but it is listed on the dangerous materials containing list. Makes more money for Experts to remove with all the bull they can muster, in order to charge the highest rate possible.

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by GWAYGWAY View Post
    One of the biggest con going is the branding of Cryolite as asbestos, it is not and has never been, but it is listed on the dangerous materials containing list. Makes more money for Experts to remove with all the bull they can muster, in order to charge the highest rate possible.

Possibly.... BUT look at asbestos and rock wool under a, microscope and the individual fibres are close to indistinguishable....
    Won't be long till rock wool is being cast from the pedestal of wondrous insulation...

Those types of fibres are inherently nasty to breathe in.... And the effects not be seen for many years.

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by GWAYGWAY View Post

Possibly.... BUT look at asbestos and rock wool under a, microscope and the individual fibres are close to indistinguishable....
    Won't be long till rock wool is being cast from the pedestal of wondrous insulation...

Those types of fibres are inherently nasty to breathe in.... And the effects not be seen for many years.

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by mistericeman View Post

Yes I remember being told this 30 years ago and its, the irritation caused in the lungs causing, being blunt, cancer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information