CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bristol Van Dwellers

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100

Bristol Van Dwellers

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    A little bit of research some of it very interesting, whilst we perhaps don't consider ourselves van dwellers policy and legislation can affect us

Channa
    Hardworking and middle-aged - unique study finds Bristol's van dwellers are opting out of the rental rat race - Bristol Live
    Thanks maingate, mariesnowgoose thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B598PL
    Lots of similarities in this article about people, both homeless and earning good wages but priced out of the market.

Thousands of California families living in RVs as exorbitant rents leave many facing homelessness | Daily Mail Online

Davy
    Likes mariesnowgoose, yeoblade liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Carthago C-Line 4.9
    Very interesting read
    Thanks channa thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger
    sensibly they're finding there's quite a few places in the city that can take 20 or so vans with no immediate neighbours , by the scrappy in St Werburghs , visible from the M32 as you drive into town , and behind Ikea as you drive out , for example.
    trouble is , it's impossible to have this many people in limited spaces without the site starting to look messy with bikes bags of rubbish ,timber for ongoing work ,clothes drying etc . this is of course frowned on by the straight locals and passers by as a health problem ,which it isn't really. the council seems to have a policy of moving them on every few months , and letting them return after a good clean up.
    if the buy-to-renters and their agents hadn't been so greedy , most of these people would still happily be in houses with no thought of van dwelling . and these houses from what i've seen , are becoming more and more dilapidated as less money is being spent on them
    if you're driving through the city , see how many tents you can spot as well . interesting times eh?
    Last edited by n brown; 22-03-2019 at 20:44.
    too blessed to be stressed
    Thanks mariesnowgoose thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    Good read that👍 I met a few when I was there about 4 months ago,they were all workers,I'll be there again in the next week or so, hopefully catch up with some of them,I hadn't realised how widespread it was in Bristol.
    I hope other councils take notice of their approach instead of treating us like lepers,credit where it's due,well done Bristol Council👏
    Sent From My Cheap Mobile Using Tapafatfinger.
    Likes mariesnowgoose liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    I think the interesting part is that a lot of the dwellers middle aged , working full time but we obviously have a social problem when despite working, people feel insecure with the likes of zero hours contracts and are living to work rather than working to live

It is also interesting how the dwellers have sympathy for surrounding residents ,not mentioned but there will be additional pressure put on local services like doctors and waste disposal

I think as a society we need to take a long hard look as to how we can give security and hope for people

Channa
    Likes delicagirl, mariesnowgoose, Debroos, REC liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    I think the interesting part is that a lot of the dwellers middle aged , working full time but we obviously have a social problem when despite working, people feel insecure with the likes of zero hours contracts and are living to work rather than working to live

It is also interesting how the dwellers have sympathy for surrounding residents ,not mentioned but there will be additional pressure put on local services like doctors and waste disposal

I think as a society we need to take a long hard look as to how we can give security and hope for people

Channa
    I've rented my entire life but since coming to the UK have found it almost impossible to find accommodation that would allow me to keep a dog,I could've lived with that on its own but as stated in the article I found a big chunk of my income was going on renting a dump,I made the move about 5 years ago to live in a van so now I only work around six months of the year instead of dawn till dusk all year round. I've never had an interest in acquiring money other than for food and basic living costs so it's definitely made a massive improvement to my life.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    swift
    The problem is that lots of us are indoctrinated from an early age that you work/get a house, have 2,4 kids and end up spending the rest of your life on the hamster wheel. I'm sure there would be more content people if they were taught about life, instead of how to just pass exams/be successful. When you think about it, in the grand scheme of things, what is success?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkslass View Post
    The problem is that lots of us are indoctrinated from an early age that you work/get a house, have 2,4 kids and end up spending the rest of your life on the hamster wheel. I'm sure there would be more content people if they were taught about life, instead of how to just pass exams/be successful. When you think about it, in the grand scheme of things, what is success?
    You've hit the nail on the head,it really is indoctrination,no alternatives are given,in a perfect world we would drop dead the day after retirement.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW transporter
    Fascinating.
    Great that the council have taken the trouble to find out about the problem.
    But surely there must be a fair few 18/30 year old van dwellers. They must face the same problems as their elders.
    Just can't think of a reason why there would be less...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information