CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A tablet that allows VERY accurate GPS info HIKING NOT in range of wi-fi. V. remote

Member Number

A tablet that allows VERY accurate GPS info HIKING NOT in range of wi-fi. V. remote

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    We are soon going to the arctic circle. Possibly Lofoten islands. Very far from populations. We don't want to take a Garmin GPS and rather a tablet punishing we will have downloaded maps from Nordeskart.com.
    We will be doing a lot of off-trail wilderness hiking and then camping also in remote mountains and bays.
    Many tablets say they have GPS but I've been told this is not usually accurate enough for wilderness trekking not will the GPS normally function without online wi-fi.
    Does anyone please have any experience of a tablet that is not too expensive that will do this accurately? Hoping for something 7" in size rather than the larger 10" ones. I've looked at the Samsung Tab A 7 inch but on forums and in reviews there's some disagreement as to whether it has ' Reid's GPS that wilderness hiking requires.
    Apparently it must have a dedicated GPS chip and something called GONASS and A-GPS to work in the way we need with Gaia maps and others.

Does anyone have any advice from experience of such a remote location adventure please?

Thankyou.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner T660 Nexxo
    I have a Garmin Glo Gps locator and can be used with a tablet or smart phone, it is accurate and has a battery so if used sparingly would last a few days. Does not need wifi as long as you have the maps downloaded onto your device.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    I believe that the chips that have the A-GPS (Assisted GPS) have the Mobile Phone hardware as well, so is usually only found in the top-end hardware.

Maybe the best bet is a USB GPS unit to plug into a tablet?
    Find me on motorhomer.com, a Brexit-Free Zone

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    I got a fablet from china with 1 gig mem, required min> and gps,i have installed maps me also and it cost £60
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    A good old fashioned map and compass maybe? Or am I just an old technophobe?😂
    Likes landoboguy, Alf, delicagirl, channa, 1 Cup liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    I got a fablet from china with 1 gig mem, required min> and gps,i have installed maps me also and it cost £60
    A Chinese fablet? I’m definitely a technophobe, never heard of that. ��
    Likes Alf, rockape liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mercedes Sprinter
    Nvidia shield k1. Got A-Gps and glonass. Had one for a year or two. Brilliant and dead accurate. I use it all the time.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007
    Assisted GPS is explained here:

Assisted GPS - Wikipedia

So you need a mobile broadband connection which is unlikely to be available in very remote locations.

The US developed GPS system has been supplemented by the Russian GLONASS system and modern GPS equipped devices use both satellite constellations. This improves location accuracy and I suspect that this is what Lewton requires.

Android based devices have the advantage that they are all GPS equipped as far as I know. Not all iPad devices have GPS.
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autocruise Select 164
    Quote Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
    A Chinese fablet? Iím definitely a technophobe, never heard of that. ��
    Fablet F ake T ablet
    Yes you can, Yes you can, Yes you can !
    Likes caledonia, Northumborman liked this post
    Thanks caledonia thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Concorde charisma
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewton View Post
    We are soon going to the arctic circle. Possibly Lofoten islands. Very far from populations. We don't want to take a Garmin GPS and rather a tablet punishing we will have downloaded maps from Nordeskart.com.
    We will be doing a lot of off-trail wilderness hiking and then camping also in remote mountains and bays.
    Many tablets say they have GPS but I've been told this is not usually accurate enough for wilderness trekking not will the GPS normally function without online wi-fi.
    Does anyone please have any experience of a tablet that is not too expensive that will do this accurately? Hoping for something 7" in size rather than the larger 10" ones. I've looked at the Samsung Tab A 7 inch but on forums and in reviews there's some disagreement as to whether it has ' Reid's GPS that wilderness hiking requires.
    Apparently it must have a dedicated GPS chip and something called GONASS and A-GPS to work in the way we need with Gaia maps and others.

Does anyone have any advice from experience of such a remote location adventure please?

Thankyou.
    Hi lewton, we spent 5 months in Norway last year, although everybody says Norway is sparsely populated you will find there’s is always a cabin or hamlet not very far away as for gps the only experience we have is the phone signal is amazing everywhere and all supermarkets and library’s have Internet, janet and I did some long hikes for us into the mountains, never staying out but covering about 12 miles before heading back to the van,
    One hike we packed our rucksacks with all our safety gear, sun hats,first aid kit,spare food pain killers, wandered off piste up this mountain track looking for solitude, well after three hours walking we round a corner to discover an entire family blueberry picking they had driven in on quad bikes, enjoy your trip it is amazing
    Logoton is highly populated and always has the fishing rorbus in use don’t forget to take a rod the fishing is out of this world
    Last edited by andyjanet; 23-03-2019 at 21:28.
    Likes delicagirl, mark61, carol, Wully liked this post

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information