CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Masterchef

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100

Masterchef

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    anyone watching it ? tonight is the final my money is on the young policewoman

last night getting set up who appears but Raymond Blanc fancy poncy food not really imo he is working to high high standards and his food almost becomes art form afterall we eat with our eyes first before tasting

Contestants totally unaware and had to replicate dishes served in his restaurant Le Manoir , All of them gave a good account of themselves even the lad that was kicked out

I found my French flooding back and can only dream of working with those top of the tree Marco Pierre White preferred choice

Having turned up tuned in and dropped out tonights final is going to be one of the best we have seen

I shall watch with interest possibly scoffing beans on toast, and admiring sabayonnes souffles and other rather tricky dishes

I think the police woman will win second an outsider Gilly who is getting stronger and in her stride

What pit fall await ? no idea but will be interesting They will all be under incredible pressure all winners in my world

Channa
    Likes Adria home, Alf, 1807truckman liked this post
    Thanks Alf thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    I will be cheering on Gilly being a Scots lass but think the older Greek woman will take it.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T5 Auto-Sleepers Trooper
    Andy I think they are all at a very high standard and there seems nothing between all three up to last night my money was on Jilly but Delia showed a last minute burst I think it's between those two.

Alf

PS. I suppose they would come second best to yourself great Chef as you are.
    Likes caledonia liked this post
    Thanks caledonia thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Very good bunch and I could have seen any of the last 5 winning and be worthy of it.
    I don't really mind who of the last 3 wins as all nice folk.
    I think maybe winning would make the most difference to Delia as a career-type boost. I can't see the others using the win as other than winning a competition (if that makes sense?).
    Find me on motorhomer.com, a Brexit-Free Zone
    Likes Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    Well done Irini. From day one she was impressive. Agree with Alf our Channa would have blew them away👍👍
    Likes Alf, Justjack liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    I've been avoiding this thread all night as I've only just caught it on catch up. I had my money on the Greek lady but if either of the other two had done perfect courses then I think her age would've counted against her,not necessarily as a conscious decision but MasterChef winner is definitely the launch pad for a new career,and I think there has been bias in the past.
    Well done that lady,her food looks amazing.
    Channa,I hope you let those beans rest before service!
    Sent From My Cheap Mobile Using Tapafatfinger.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Well due to a side affect of my Dialysis ( tiredness) fell asleep and missed it all just catching the Irini winning so only saw the pictures and certainly looked the part

Having seen all three previously all were worthy winners and I guess a lot down to judges taste and tiny errors on the contestants part on the day.. so I have the utmost respect for all of them, the standard this year has been very good with the exceptions of one or two in the early days

Anyone on National Tv asked to prepare and cook Raymond Blancs fayre under his beady eye and his head chef has got balls to put it bluntly, He is a remarkable chef and churned out 30 Michelin star chefs under his tutorship the sweet irony is Raymond Blanc is self taught

All three have opportunity now to make a mark in the industry will find publishing deals for books easier

I for years have advocated teaching the young and I get joy from watching people develop and flourish ( not just cooking) But in a way glad to see irini win ,She has proved the older people can still do it and I suspect years of experience and culinary wisdom got her the win so well done to her. Compared to Gilly and Delia I would only have one reservation about her in a top professional kitchen which applies to us all, Service can and is at this level incredibly demanding where the energy f younger people benefit

Channa
    Likes saxonborg, Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Something I have never quite got with Masterchef (and I have watched and enjoyed it for years) is why so many contestants are highly skilled professionals in their own field - Doctors, Architects, Airline Pilots, etc. - and supposedly want to throw it all in to cook food in a commercial kitchen.

I don't pretend to be a chef in any way (though I make a decent dinner) and cannot think of anything worse (well, not literally!) than working in a kitchen doing really long hours for pretty poor pay to make meals for hundreds of people. Where exactly is the fun in that?
    Yes, in the "Masterchef Kitchen" they are enjoying themselves cooking for a few hours making a plate of food (yup, A plate of food - singular); but when they are in the kitchen 'tasks' and cooking for 20,30, 40 or whatever it does not look like that much fun to me? Different and gets the adrenline going and you get a buzz no doubt when it is all served up and enjoyed. But then do it again the next day, then the next, and the next, and the next, and the ... Nah. no thanks.

As a fast-track route to "celebrity chef", then doing Masterchef is great (and is super to watch for the food). But for 999 chefs out of 1000 in a commercial kitchen, I reckon it is a drudge career.

In terms of Irini working in a professional kitchen day after day - no way. Ability without a doubt but there is no way that was her goal when entering the competition. She was a professional banker who is now retired and enjoying her life with her grandchildren. Why the hell would she want to go and cook hundreds of meals for complete strangers?

No doubt those folk who have worked in kitchens by choice will have their own view on this and could explain the appeal, but I just can't see it.
    Find me on motorhomer.com, a Brexit-Free Zone
    Likes Asterix, Alf liked this post

mariesnowgoose is offline Official OTW
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: She's picking on me again

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    Something I have never quite got with Masterchef (and I have watched and enjoyed it for years) is why so many contestants are highly skilled professionals in their own field - Doctors, Architects, Airline Pilots, etc. - and supposedly want to throw it all in to cook food in a commercial kitchen.

I don't pretend to be a chef in any way (though I make a decent dinner) and cannot think of anything worse (well, not literally!) than working in a kitchen doing really long hours for pretty poor pay to make meals for hundreds of people. Where exactly is the fun in that?
    Yes, in the "Masterchef Kitchen" they are enjoying themselves cooking for a few hours making a plate of food (yup, A plate of food - singular); but when they are in the kitchen 'tasks' and cooking for 20,30, 40 or whatever it does not look like that much fun to me? Different and gets the adrenline going and you get a buzz no doubt when it is all served up and enjoyed. But then do it again the next day, then the next, and the next, and the next, and the ... Nah. no thanks.

As a fast-track route to "celebrity chef", then doing Masterchef is great (and is super to watch for the food). But for 999 chefs out of 1000 in a commercial kitchen, I reckon it is a drudge career.

In terms of Irini working in a professional kitchen day after day - no way. Ability without a doubt but there is no way that was her goal when entering the competition. She was a professional banker who is now retired and enjoying her life with her grandchildren. Why the hell would she want to go and cook hundreds of meals for complete strangers?

No doubt those folk who have worked in kitchens by choice will have their own view on this and could explain the appeal, but I just can't see it.
    Maybe to get away from those grandkids & do something completely different to her old job?

Choosing to cook commercially (or 'chefing') is pretty much a 'lifestyle' choice (like gardening, running a pub, being an artist etc. etc.) and not something you just fall into. You might not 'get it', but they do. These can be difficult jobs to do successfully, you've got to really want to do it, the monetary rewards aren't necessarily great, and you aren't guaranteed a set career path as you would with most traditional white collar (or blue collar!) jobs.

I get slightly annoyed that it is often a widely held belief that once retired with kids and grandkids that's it, your life is no longer your own.
    It's end of the line, no more interesting things to get out and do other than babysit and provide free day care for your full time working offspring's offspring. Bah humbug!

Now before I say anything else and offend everyone , I'm not knocking retirees looking after and spending time with grandkids, it can be a joyous thing to be doing and their are many who are doing it by choice and wouldn't swap it for the world, but not everyone is cut from the same cloth.

I have a friend who will do anything for her kids/grandkids, as most people who care probably do, and never says no when her help is needed.
    But this affects her own life (negatively) and she often makes quite big personal sacrifices for their benefit. She is NOT retired and still trying to earn a living. Her own retirement will be ultimately affected in no small way by these 'sacrifices'.

Going back to my point about 'getting away' - I bet there's loads of retired motorhomers in here who can't wait to escape for a while from kids/grandkids for some 'me' time in their vans!

Whatever this lady's reasons are for cooking, I say good on her for doing something she enjoys.

So please don't put everyone over 60 in the same boat, you young whippersnapper, or I'll spank your bum!
    Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    There but for the grace of God go I

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson flash 510
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post

Never worked (or was ever capable of) at MasterChef level . Cooked in my own pub for many years , 12 hour shifts , 6/7 day weeks . Logs of drudgery type work .
    Can't really articulate why I got huge satisfaction from it but I did .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information