CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Welder

Member Number

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by hextal View Post
    Righto. I've decided that i need (okay, want) to get myself a welder..... As in the kit, not the person.

So, given that I know there's at least one pro on here, I thought I'd pick your brains.

I'm really just looking for something to have a play about with and eventually just stick together the odd bracket or two, so very very basic use. I'm thinking something along the lines of a cheap stick welder. I'm well up on weld theory, capacity calcs, etc.... But my practical experience is limited to sticking the electrode to the substrate several times in a row and getting laughed at for my cack-handedness.

So, any advice would be much appreciated in terms of what to be looking for in terms of kit.
    If your going to carry it around an inverter is so much lighter, if you are just sitting in one place, weight will not be a problem.
    Likes hextal, trevskoda, time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    09 Fiat Ducato 2.3 Swift Mondial RL
    Get on a evening course then you will be able to try out various types, get shown the right way and have a much better idea of what type you want for the sort of work you will be doing at home. That way there is someone there to tell you where you are going wrong and how to correct it. Otherwise it could be very frustrating. You will learn more in 1 hour at collage than you will in a week messing about at home on your own.
    Likes hextal, channa, Edina, time4t, RoadTrek Boy liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Self-build
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazerloz View Post
    Get on a evening course then you will be able to try out various types, get shown the right way and have a much better idea of what type you want for the sort of work you will be doing at home. That way there is someone there to tell you where you are going wrong and how to correct it. Otherwise it could be very frustrating. You will learn more in 1 hour at collage than you will in a week messing about at home on your own.
    Aye - must admit I've been having a look at some of the local courses.
    Likes Fazerloz, channa liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    09 Fiat Ducato 2.3 Swift Mondial RL
    Aye - must admit I've been having a look at some of the local courses.
    It would be the wise move. Someone could even have one for sale that's jumped in and bought the wrong thing before finding out what they really need.
    Likes hextal liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    Same as Mistericeman, run my 140 amp of basic 13 amp supply with no issues. Even when I had my Cebora Jaguar 2000, ran off same supply without tripping fuses.

Incidentally, if burning at high end of plant capacity, more chance of the plant thermal cutout device kicking in before any fuses pop.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.
    Likes hextal, time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Self-build
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazerloz View Post
    It would be the wise move. Someone could even have one for sale that's jumped in and bought the wrong thing before finding out what they really need.
    True.

Our lass works at Leeds City College, so she's going to check into their welding intro course tomorrow.

I've got visions of everyone else on the course being in their late teens.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    True.

Our lass works at Leeds City College, so she's going to check into their welding intro course tomorrow.

I've got visions of everyone else on the course being in their late teens.
    If similar to my courses, a very mixed bag of individuals, from all ages, from various parts of the world. I currently have one late twenties gent from Venezuela.

Ps, females to, and last year a trans............whatever.
    Last edited by runnach; 07-04-2019 at 19:49. Reason: Adding Ps.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.
    Likes hextal liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    I bought a sip 140 stick welder when i was 17,i still use it and 90% of my van jobs were done with it,buy easy arc welding rods.
    I did buy a small 200amp inverter welder which lasted through a few jobs before going pop.
    Now watch with sip and others as the internal coil windings are alloy where as expensive ones like a old oxford oil cooled are copper,secret is dont use the sip type for long welds at full bore but switch it of after 10 mins to let it cool,do attend a collage evening corse using there rods to learn,i did with stick and gas.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes hextal, time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer 584 Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by runnach View Post
    Ps, females to, and last year a trans............whatever.
    Aren't they easy to break into?
    Likes hextal, trevskoda, time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger

carbon arc

as a woodworker , i never really got over the excitement of my first stick welder, a magic glue stick for joining metal -so much easier than joining wood !
    as son as i discovered inverters i bought one, weighs about 5kg and will make anything i need to make in steel.

but gas is my favourite , very easy to use and great for heating metal to do a bit of flattening ,bending and other smithing. which brings me to the carbon arc torch !
    gas bottles are too heavy to cart about , but one of these attached to an inverter will braze steel and heat it up quickly for smithing- great tool for little money Brazing torch for arc welder | eBay
    too blessed to be stressed
    Likes hextal, trevskoda, terrywolf, time4t liked this post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information