Thread: Welder

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Tezza33 View Post
    Aren't they easy to break into?
    Bad man, you know wot I mean!

When discussing PPE, which includes different types of helmets available, I could see the emotion welling up, I nearly asked, you miss it, don't you.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.
    Likes hextal, Tezza33 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Out of interest , why is electric welders favoured over gas ?

Surely cheaoer too ?

Channa
    Likes hextal liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    Out of interest , why is electric welders favoured over gas ?

Surely cheaoer too ?

Channa
    A lot of the time it's down to Mig welding being easier to master for the average hobby welder AND less cost in terms of bottle rental charges and keeping hoses etc in good order for a welding set that is often sat there doing nothing.
    Gas does have its advantages BUT for most hobby welding a mig set will do most jobs.
    Thanks channa thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    For many folks Oxy-Acetylene gas is not an option for H&S reasons.Eg, acetylene being so volatile and say you had a set at home and something went wrong, your home or garage in rear garden would not insured, in fact, if you are not a business, you won’t legally be able to hire the cylinders.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.
    Likes ironman, hextal liked this post
    Thanks channa thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by runnach View Post
    For many folks Oxy-Acetylene gas is not an option for H&S reasons.Eg, acetylene being so volatile and say you had a set at home and something went wrong, your home or garage in rear garden would not insured, in fact, if you are not a business, you won’t legally be able to hire the cylinders.
    I get mine filled in bandit country wink wink.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    97 sprinter ex police riot van.
    I got my MIG welder from machine mart about 30 years ago which is still going strong.

I've used it to weld farm machinery, small snow ploughs, gates etc.

Also have an old 1960's triangle minx stick welder that is very easy to use due to the size of the solid copper wound coils, it does trip the rcd's when trying to start up but gets there in the end.

Bought an inverter welder from Inverter Fusion a couple of years ago which though it's expensive, is the best I've ever used!
    It can do TIG as well as ARC.

I recommend a trip to machine mart! for hobby welding their stuff is ok.

Phill
    Last edited by time4t; 08-04-2019 at 12:52.
    Learning to dance, where one step forward & two steps back is progress!
    Likes harrow, hextal, n brown, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Iveco daily mwb high top panel van..
    i started out with a 140 amp stick welder.... used to take the cover off when using 3.25 rods , it lasted longer before the thermal cut out went. when it died about 30 years ago i got a 180 amp fan cooled jobbie..... bl.dy fan went last week.
    the 180 amp one runs off a 13 amp plug if you stick to no larger than 3.25 rods. ill run on a 30 yard 2.5mm extension lead if necessary. got 30 amp fuse wire fitted, at some point i made up a set of larger diameter welding leads long enough to weld at arms length overhead with the welder sat on the floor.

as im getting old and feeble the welder now lives in a wheelbarrow , along with the 9 inch grinder with a cutting disc and 3 4.5 inch grinders, ( cutting, grinding and wire brush).

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by ricc View Post
    i started out with a 140 amp stick welder.... used to take the cover off when using 3.25 rods , it lasted longer before the thermal cut out went. when it died about 30 years ago i got a 180 amp fan cooled jobbie..... bl.dy fan went last week.
    the 180 amp one runs off a 13 amp plug if you stick to no larger than 3.25 rods. ill run on a 30 yard 2.5mm extension lead if necessary. got 30 amp fuse wire fitted, at some point i made up a set of larger diameter welding leads long enough to weld at arms length overhead with the welder sat on the floor.

as im getting old and feeble the welder now lives in a wheelbarrow , along with the 9 inch grinder with a cutting disc and 3 4.5 inch grinders, ( cutting, grinding and wire brush).
    This is the point I was making about the inverter machines are a fraction of the weight, handy if you carry them around.

Of course using a long extension lead will reduce the power consumption, I always plug mine into the electric cooker point socket because that's fed with 6mm cable.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger
    when using the inverter in Portugal, mrs B would have to hold down the circuit breaker as i welded, as it would normally trip immediately
    too blessed to be stressed
    Likes time4t, hextal liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Roadtrek 190V
    Nobody's mentioned TIG?
    Colin
    Warning: Definitely contains nuts.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information