CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Welder

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Self-build

Welder

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Righto. I've decided that i need (okay, want) to get myself a welder..... As in the kit, not the person.

So, given that I know there's at least one pro on here, I thought I'd pick your brains.

I'm really just looking for something to have a play about with and eventually just stick together the odd bracket or two, so very very basic use. I'm thinking something along the lines of a cheap stick welder. I'm well up on weld theory, capacity calcs, etc.... But my practical experience is limited to sticking the electrode to the substrate several times in a row and getting laughed at for my cack-handedness.

So, any advice would be much appreciated in terms of what to be looking for in terms of kit.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    Quote Originally Posted by hextal View Post
    Righto. I've decided that i need (okay, want) to get myself a welder..... As in the kit, not the person.

So, given that I know there's at least one pro on here, I thought I'd pick your brains.

I'm really just looking for something to have a play about with and eventually just stick together the odd bracket or two, so very very basic use. I'm thinking something along the lines of a cheap stick welder. I'm well up on weld theory, capacity calcs, etc.... But my practical experience is limited to sticking the electrode to the substrate several times in a row and getting laughed at for my cack-handedness.

So, any advice would be much appreciated in terms of what to be looking for in terms of kit.
    I have wee Ferm Concept 1500 which is great for what you described. Got mine second hand for 30 hardly used.
    Runnach will be along shortly with proper advise.
    Last edited by caledonia; 07-04-2019 at 17:51.
    Likes hextal liked this post

Member Number
    Some of the R tech stuff is well priced and good quality.... I use a BOC 190 (bit of a beast BUT will deal with landrover chassis as well as thinner stuff etc.

Depends what you need BUT a cheap nasty welder is painful... Practice practice practice is also a good plan.
    Likes hextal, time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    I got rid of all my kit bar my pre 1991 240V 140 amp SIP buzz box, which is till going strong, I know the dates as I was working with Scientific Atlanta at this time. Cost me 40 quid from my weld rep.

SIP brand is very good for DIY type work, in fact, when I mage my boat trailer, I nailed it with my SIP buzz box. However, with the advent of inverter technology, I would certainly look into at the newer tech available.

Here is a link to SIP kit. SIP ARC Welders - SIP Arc Welding Machines

If you want any further info, gimme a shout. Oh, most, if not all buzz boxes do not have a high open circuit, so E6013 electrodes are all you will burn, but they are suffice for DIY stuff.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by mistericeman View Post
    Some of the R tech stuff is well priced and good quality.... I use a BOC 190 (bit of a beast BUT will deal with landrover chassis as well as thinner stuff etc.

Depends what you need BUT a cheap nasty welder is painful... Practice practice practice is also a good plan.
    Hex is after an MMA plant, MiM.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    One point regarding old tech (buzz box) V's new tech (inverter) is easy arcing up at initial start up.
    Likes hextal, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by runnach View Post
    Hex is after an MMA plant, MiM.
    Well aware of that.... Rtech do some handy stick sets...

I was just pointing out I bought a decent mig set to give me greater flexibility for welding thinner stuff too.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by mistericeman View Post
    Well aware of that.... Rtech do some handy stick sets...

I was just pointing out I bought a decent mig set to give me greater flexibility for welding thinner stuff too.
    Ah ok, I thought maybe wrong pic added.

Yep Rtech are a decent brand too.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Self-build
    Cheers guys.

Stupid question (I'll have a lot) it looks like anything over 125amp needs either hard-working or running off something beefier than domestic 13amp.

Is 125 likely to be okay for basics (I know it's an open ended question) or am I better going for something beefier and just upping the input wiring/fuses/rcd accordingly?

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by hextal View Post
    Cheers guys.

Stupid question (I'll have a lot) it looks like anything over 125amp needs either hard-working or running off something beefier than domestic 13amp.

Is 125 likely to be okay for basics (I know it's an open ended question) or am I better going for something beefier and just upping the input wiring/fuses/rcd accordingly?
    My 190 above is specced to need a 16 amp supply.....

I regularly use it without problems on a 13 amp plug (and at times an extension lead)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information