CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS


Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 53

Thread: Dogs

  1. #11

    Member Number
    25133
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    15,081
    Location
    Glengormley
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus


    CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    In NI all dogs must be on a leash when outside the home boundry,dont use a extending lead but a short one and make the dog walk to heel,carry a stick and when other dogs are about make yours sit beside you,if another dog attacks then knock ten bells out of it with the stick before doing the same to its owner.
    On a second note extending leads have been known to knock people of bikes and trip kids,they can also run out into the rd.forgot me no allowed to talk about gods.
    Last edited by trevskoda; 10-04-2019 at 17:00.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes yorkslass, pamjon, ricc liked this post
    Thanks Cass thanked for this post

  2. #12

    Member Number
    33905
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    325
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance
    Quote Originally Posted by n brown View Post
    we go to Snuff Mills in Bristol quite a lot , and nearly all dogs run loose there. a growl and a snap occasionally , but never seen a proper dog fight there.
    in my experience with dogs , those on a lead or otherwise restrained ,are quite sensibly more nervous of other dogs and people , after all , their ability to defend themselves has been limited and this will make them overreact. they definitely feel more in control , happier and safer off the lead
    Yes I agree with that but if I let her off in strange place she will run and play but if I lost eye contact I might lose her as I cant call her back, so I tend to keep her on the lead unless were near home and its quiet.

  3. #13

    Member Number
    33905
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    325
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance
    Quote Originally Posted by maingate View Post
    There are a number of reasons why dogs run towards other dogs. If they have been attacked in the past, they do it because they are scared and put on a show of being a tough guy to make the other dog think twice. It does not mean they will attack your dog though. It is just a case of 'bad manners' in the dog world.

    Other reasons are owners who have never given their dog any training, possibly because they have little experience with dogs. Another reason can be that the dog was removed from its Mother at too early an age and it has no manners. dogs like this are not easy for novices to manage.

    My advice would be to make sure your deaf dog sees other dogs approaching. We took on 2 Whippets 6 months ago and they reacted badly to people, never mind other dogs. They are almost where we want them now but the male can still run at certain dogs if we come across them suddenly. He has a lot of scars from being attacked at some point in the past and the fear will take longer than 6 months to disappear. What we have found to be the best answer to the problem was to put the pair of them on their leads when we saw other dogs. Then we made a point of stopping and chatting with the owners. Our 2 treated every other dog as a threat but they relaxed after learning that these other dogs were quite friendly after sniffing them and being with them for a few minutes. You are giving your dog a new routine and it will get used to it in a short time. You will also build up a small circle of doggy friends with your regular walks.
    Shes fine when shes sees them, its when she doesnt and they take her by surprise, I tend to keep her on the lead and retract it when other dogs are around, she has a couple of friends and I can let her off and they will fetch her back, but I dont let her off in strange places in case I lose her.

  4. #14

    Member Number
    32936
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,873
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    My dog has similar issues. Tolerates other dogs but when they run up to her from a distance I let her have go. The usual is oh my dog just wants to play which I answer if I run across the street towards you do you think I want to play.
    Likes pamjon liked this post
    Thanks Cass thanked for this post

  5. #15

    Member Number
    49835
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,360
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    My dog is off the lead as much as possible and will always trot over to see any other dogs,whether on or off the lead, occasionally he gets snapped at or growled by dogs on leads,I honestly wouldn't worry about it,he certainly doesn't and will just go and find a friendlier dog,if he gets bitten that's his own stupid fault for sticking his nose in where it's not wanted. I certainly wouldn't blame the dog on the lead. I agree with previous comments,your dog is better off the lead but you probably need to walk it somewhere that's enclosed if you're having trouble with recall.
    Sent From My Cheap Mobile Using Tapafatfinger.
    Likes Cass, wildcampnewbie liked this post
    Thanks Cass thanked for this post

  6. #16

    Member Number
    33905
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    325
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance
    Quote Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
    My dog has similar issues. Tolerates other dogs but when they run up to her from a distance I let her have go. The usual is oh my dog just wants to play which I answer if I run across the street towards you do you think I want to play.
    I understand what your saying but the last thing i want is to be in between to dogs, and getting bit, or any dog to get hurt, I wouldnt let her off because I cant call her back.

  7. #17

    Member Number
    33905
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    325
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    My dog is off the lead as much as possible and will always trot over to see any other dogs,whether on or off the lead, occasionally he gets snapped at or growled by dogs on leads,I honestly wouldn't worry about it,he certainly doesn't and will just go and find a friendlier dog,if he gets bitten that's his own stupid fault for sticking his nose in where it's not wanted. I certainly wouldn't blame the dog on the lead. I agree with previous comments,your dog is better off the lead but you probably need to walk it somewhere that's enclosed if you're having trouble with recall.
    Its not exactly trouble with recall if she can see me she will come back if its she out of eye contact then theres no way to recall
    Likes Asterix liked this post

  8. #18

    Member Number
    32936
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,873
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    I understand what your saying but the last thing i want is to be in between to dogs, and getting bit, or any dog to get hurt, I wouldnt let her off because I cant call her back.
    My dog is very rarely on a lead and never far from my side. Dogs are good at sorting things out on their own and a wee nip puts an over zealous or untrained dog in its place and teaches it valuable life lessons.
    Likes Cass, wildcampnewbie liked this post

  9. #19

    Member Number
    33905
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    325
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance
    Quote Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
    My dog is very rarely on a lead and never far from my side. Dogs are good at sorting things out on their own and a wee nip puts an over zealous or untrained dog in its place and teaches it valuable life lessons.
    Im maybe over protective of her because of her disability

    51732434_1220227124799100_1181910665544073216_o.jpg
    Likes wildcampnewbie, yorkslass, jeanette liked this post

  10. #20

    Member Number
    32936
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,873
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    Im maybe over protective of her because of her disability

    51732434_1220227124799100_1181910665544073216_o.jpg
    Sheís a wee cracker. Enjoy your walks together and just do as Trev says take a stick to whack other dogs that run up because their owners canít control or donít restrain their dogs.
    Likes mariesnowgoose liked this post
    Thanks Cass thanked for this post

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •