CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogs

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance

Dogs

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    In an attempt to lose weight, after ruling out lipo suction and a tummy tuck I have started walking and take my daughters dog I don't understand why people let there dogs off the leads and allow them to run upto others, we have had a couple of times where she has almost gone for another dogs, due to her been attacked in the past she is quite wary of other dogs and topped with her been deaf, she doenst hear them so can be taken by surprise when dogs come bounding up behind her and if feels under threat she will turn.

For this reason I don't let her off and have an extending lead and pull her in when others are around, now Im no expert on owning a dog but surly if a dog is kept on a lead, then other dog owners should keep there dogs form bounding upto them, and if they don't not be surprised if they get snapped at. (by the dog not me) well on a good anyway.

So whats the best way round this, I am not going to put a muzzle on her because she is not loose and as long as she can see the dog approach will not attack.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Frankia I650ED
    Muzzle

Dogs are naturally social and will run up to greet each other. They don't deserve to be savaged just for being friendly.

My brother's dog is the same after being attacked. He's always muzzled when out walking (dog not brother!), the logic being that if he is likely to snap and/or bite another dog when startled, it could just as easily happen if a child ran up squealing behind him.
    Likes Clunegapyears, silverweed liked this post

Member Number

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance
    Quote Originally Posted by mistericeman View Post
    Thanks that's quite helpful,

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Herald Templar
    I don't see why every dog in the neighbourhood should be penalised because your dog has problems. Perhaps it would be wise to take your dog to places where a lead is obligatory rather than attempting to stop other animals having the exercise they need.
    Likes N/A, Clunegapyears, Caz, silverweed, deanjo liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance
    Its not a case of that I keep her on the lead, she cant help that another attacked her, that wasnt on the lead, nor can she help been deaf, so should she not go out because other people dont call there dogs back when they are running loose, she can quite happily pass another dog, and have a sniff but doesnt like it when they bound up behind her. Its not her who is running lose.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger
    we go to Snuff Mills in Bristol quite a lot , and nearly all dogs run loose there. a growl and a snap occasionally , but never seen a proper dog fight there.
    in my experience with dogs , those on a lead or otherwise restrained ,are quite sensibly more nervous of other dogs and people , after all , their ability to defend themselves has been limited and this will make them overreact. they definitely feel more in control , happier and safer off the lead
    too blessed to be stressed

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    There are a number of reasons why dogs run towards other dogs. If they have been attacked in the past, they do it because they are scared and put on a show of being a tough guy to make the other dog think twice. It does not mean they will attack your dog though. It is just a case of 'bad manners' in the dog world.

Other reasons are owners who have never given their dog any training, possibly because they have little experience with dogs. Another reason can be that the dog was removed from its Mother at too early an age and it has no manners. dogs like this are not easy for novices to manage.

My advice would be to make sure your deaf dog sees other dogs approaching. We took on 2 Whippets 6 months ago and they reacted badly to people, never mind other dogs. They are almost where we want them now but the male can still run at certain dogs if we come across them suddenly. He has a lot of scars from being attacked at some point in the past and the fear will take longer than 6 months to disappear. What we have found to be the best answer to the problem was to put the pair of them on their leads when we saw other dogs. Then we made a point of stopping and chatting with the owners. Our 2 treated every other dog as a threat but they relaxed after learning that these other dogs were quite friendly after sniffing them and being with them for a few minutes. You are giving your dog a new routine and it will get used to it in a short time. You will also build up a small circle of doggy friends with your regular walks.
    Thanks Cass thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vwlt
    Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    In an attempt to lose weight, after ruling out lipo suction and a tummy tuck I have started walking and take my daughters dog I don't understand why people let there dogs off the leads and allow them to run upto others, we have had a couple of times where she has almost gone for another dogs, due to her been attacked in the past she is quite wary of other dogs and topped with her been deaf, she doenst hear them so can be taken by surprise when dogs come bounding up behind her and if feels under threat she will turn.

For this reason I don't let her off and have an extending lead and pull her in when others are around, now Im no expert on owning a dog but surly if a dog is kept on a lead, then other dog owners should keep there dogs form bounding upto them, and if they don't not be surprised if they get snapped at. (by the dog not me) well on a good anyway.

So whats the best way round this, I am not going to put a muzzle on her because she is not loose and as long as she can see the dog approach will not attack.
    Dogs are sociable animals,and mainly friendly,they are very good at reading body language of other dogs and will avoid conflict when possible,also they rely on fight or flight when a dog is on a lead flight isnt possible just saying

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    In NI all dogs must be on a leash when outside the home boundry,dont use a extending lead but a short one and make the dog walk to heel,carry a stick and when other dogs are about make yours sit beside you,if another dog attacks then knock ten bells out of it with the stick before doing the same to its owner.
    On a second note extending leads have been known to knock people of bikes and trip kids,they can also run out into the rd.forgot me no allowed to talk about gods.
    Last edited by trevskoda; 10-04-2019 at 17:00.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes yorkslass, pamjon, ricc liked this post
    Thanks Cass thanked for this post

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information