CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Save Druridge Bay

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by mariesnowgoose View Post
    I know. I remember it well. I wildcamped in the dunes when I was 6 in me Dad's old Atlas van. Just in from the beach and the dunes it was dirty and desolate

I find it hard to believe that ALL the open cast protestors are against overnighting in campervans, Jim, the argument here is about starting coal mining up again, nothing to do with the right to camp/park up
    Coal Mining gave employment to tens of thousands of men. You should know better than most the devastating effect on the villlages of Durham and Northumberland. Unemployment has a worse effect on people than environmental issues. I know my viewpoint does not fall into line with current thinking but I have seen the effect of massive unemployment with all its consequences. We will all end up breathing fresh air and eating grass (because that's all we can afford).
    Likes Alf, trixie88, ironman, GreggBear liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Good chance at the end of their mining licence they will leave the area better than ikt is now, tends to be the modern thinking for opencast
    Channa
    Likes maingate, Alf, ironman liked this post
    Thanks Alf thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Herald Templar
    I remember that beach from the days when "Get Carter" was filmed there. The beach was the dumping ground for the slag from local pits and was compltely black. It really didn't take too long to clean itself. I don't think that sort of damage would ever be permitted again, and provided the mining company do as promised and clean up after themselves then fine, but there have been several instances where the company has just gone broke when the mineral dried up and left it to the authorities to sort out.
    Likes mariesnowgoose, jeanette, GreggBear liked this post

mariesnowgoose is offline Official OTW
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: She's gone bald!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    Quote Originally Posted by maingate View Post
    Coal Mining gave employment to tens of thousands of men. You should know better than most the devastating effect on the villlages of Durham and Northumberland. Unemployment has a worse effect on people than environmental issues. I know my viewpoint does not fall into line with current thinking but I have seen the effect of massive unemployment with all its consequences. We will all end up breathing fresh air and eating grass (because that's all we can afford).
    I do know better than most, Jim, it's in my DNA.

The government did nothing to help when pits were closed, they didn't care. We were too far away from London for anyone to be bother.
    I'm hope I'm one of the first to be pragmatic about solutions to unemployment, but good solutions.

Re-introducing coal mining is not, imho, a good solution at all. It is environmentally damaging, notwithstanding arguments about how short or long term that might be, and the benefits about what the mining company would do to rectify that in the long term are always dubious. Business and profit have a history of getting round any promises made to local planners and the shower at Northumberland County Council I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them!

No need to for the local population to eat grass either, even though most of the general population has lost the skills needed to grow our own food (and hence the virtual extinction of UK allotments since the 2nd world war).

I'd rather see a massive market garden on the proposed open cast site rather than a dirty coalfield, and not just because of the aesthetics!

My coal-mining grandfather would be the first man to agree with me on that if he were still alive - and that's a fact, not supposition
    Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    There but for the grace of God go I

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    I do know better than most, Jim, it's in my DNA.

The government did nothing to help when pits were closed, they didn't care. We were too far away from London for anyone to be bother.
    I'm hope I'm one of the first to be pragmatic about solutions to unemployment, but good solutions.

Re-introducing coal mining is not, imho, a good solution at all. It is environmentally damaging, notwithstanding arguments about how short or long term that might be, and the benefits about what the mining company would do to rectify that in the long term are always dubious. Business and profit have a history of getting round any promises made to local planners and the shower at Northumberland County Council I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them!

No need to for the local population to eat grass either, even though most of the general population has lost the skills needed to grow our own food (and hence the virtual extinction of UK allotments since the 2nd world war).

I'd rather see a massive market garden on the proposed open cast site rather than a dirty coalfield, and not just because of the aesthetics!

My coal-mining grandfather would be the first man to agree with me on that if he were still alive - and that's a fact, not supposition
    Well, if you are really determined to follow through with this, you can start by boycotting the WC Meet at Druridge and asking Phil to cancel it. After all, you will be enjoying the benefits of Opencast Mining (that big Lake and the woodland is not natural).
    Likes Alf liked this post
    Thanks Alf thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    A lot of opencast mining is more about reclaimation than true mining as opposed to deep mining, I imagine if people research hard enough outline plans will already exist regarding re instatement, limits imposed on the amount of heavy traffic access to the site and hours of operation.

The creation of 50 jobs is misleading because jobs will be generated on that wealth for example shops and restaurants.

In this area of Yorkshire a lot of the reclaimation has already taken place and the sites left in a better state with country parks and havens for wildlife created.

FWIW a family relative was MD for Celtic Energy open cast operation in Wales so I hope offering an informed opinion. The demise and legacy of the industry decimated 30 years ago was politically motivated (deep mining which is different)and a separate debate

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    Quote Originally Posted by maingate View Post
    Well, if you are really determined to follow through with this, you can start by boycotting the WC Meet at Druridge and asking Phil to cancel it. After all, you will be enjoying the benefits of Opencast Mining (that big Lake and the woodland is not natural).
    I really don't follow your logic there, Jim.

Did you read what I said previously? Of course I know the lake and woodland are not natural, I visited there regularly when it was in it's pre-park state decades ago when open cast was all around.

The park is sited on historical opencast mining. And it's because of that historical mining - no trees, grass, lakes, recreational facilities - that I wouldn't like to see it return to it's pre-park state. Think of the time and money it's taken to get it to it's current post-mining state. Would you really be happy seeing it vanish overnight?

Just because Druridge Bay and surrounding area was once used for open cast doesn't mean we have to turn the clock back to that. It's currently a great recreational amenity anyone can enjoy. If it was returned back to open cast I would consider it to be an act of unnecessary vandalism.

You can't accuse me of being a NIMBY either. I live nowhere near Druridge so any mining in or around it wouldn't affect me at all
    Likes jeanette liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    A lot of opencast mining is more about reclaimation than true mining as opposed to deep mining, I imagine if people research hard enough outline plans will already exist regarding re instatement, limits imposed on the amount of heavy traffic access to the site and hours of operation.

The creation of 50 jobs is misleading because jobs will be generated on that wealth for example shops and restaurants.

In this area of Yorkshire a lot of the reclaimation has already taken place and the sites left in a better state with country parks and havens for wildlife created.

FWIW a family relative was MD for Celtic Energy open cast operation in Wales so I hope offering an informed opinion. The demise and legacy of the industry decimated 30 years ago was politically motivated (deep mining which is different)and a separate debate

Channa
    This is already the case with Druridge - I'm making this point more for maingate than yourself channa, btw.

Why destroy something overnight that has already gone through a massive reclamation, is environmentally good for both wildlife & humans, and has taken decades - and plenty of money! - to get it to the state it's in today?

There must be better ways to revive a local economy than bringing back open cast mining to this particular area, surely?!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Self-build
    Just following on from a previous discussion on this (yes, I like to gripe). Another issue these days is that ecology/environmental laws have become so rigid that in some cases they are bordering on ridiculous. I appreciate that I sound very 'Daily Mail' here, but it's something that I have to deal with a lot. I'm currently in discussions with Government Policy Advisors at Natural England, and am on first name terms with most of the leading UK experts in all things bat related.

The main issue is that for years and years and years....etc, ecology and the environment was widely disregarded as of little value/importance.

Rightly, there has been a massive turnaround on this. The problem is that it has gone too far the other way now. Legislation actually places a higher duty of care on European Protected Species than on people (genuinely). So if I have a bridge that I worry may collapse, if I step in to protect the public I can face up to 6 months in prison for any bats disturbed (the last structure I worked on was a tunnel that had a few hundred in it). Alternatively, I can allow it to collapse, get up to 10 years in prison for negligence, plus still get up to 6 months in prison per bat, because they got killed/disturbed when it collapsed!!

A few years ago I had a bridge that was bordering on collapse (it had zero capacity and its piers were buckling quickly), but which we couldn't stabilise or infill because 2 bats were under it. The bridge was the sole access to an estate, so we could not legally close it due to access issues for the locals, emergency services, etc. It took approx. 1.5 years before we were allowed to infill it, meanwhile HGVs, Bin wagons etc were still using it.

Even amongst environmental and ecological experts, a lot of the people in ecology and environmental action groups are viewed as 'nutcases'.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    I really don't follow your logic there, Jim.

Did you read what I said previously? Of course I know the lake and woodland are not natural, I visited there regularly when it was in it's pre-park state decades ago when open cast was all around.

The park is sited on historical opencast mining. And it's because of that historical mining - no trees, grass, lakes, recreational facilities - that I wouldn't like to see it return to it's pre-park state. Think of the time and money it's taken to get it to it's current post-mining state. Would you really be happy seeing it vanish overnight?

Just because Druridge Bay and surrounding area was once used for open cast doesn't mean we have to turn the clock back to that. It's currently a great recreational amenity anyone can enjoy. If it was returned back to open cast I would consider it to be an act of unnecessary vandalism.

You can't accuse me of being a NIMBY either. I live nowhere near Druridge so any mining in or around it wouldn't affect me at all
    I don't think you understand Marie. Before any Opencast mining it was just flat agricultural land. Part of the extraction process is that the land will be returned to use by the Mining Company at their expense. In the case of the previous Opencast in that area, it was turned into a Country Park which the public now enjoy. I have not seen the plans for the new proposed site but Northumberland Council did not object to it, they agreed that it could go ahead ... followed by howls of anguish from the locals.

Tourism is an important part of what was once an industrial area, so the Council must believe that it is a worthwhile project that will bring a long term benefit after some short term disruption ... either that or they all took backhanders from Banks Mining. You decide which it was.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information