CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Save Druridge Bay

Member Number

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by hextal View Post
    Just following on from a previous discussion on this (yes, I like to gripe). Another issue these days is that ecology/environmental laws have become so rigid that in some cases they are bordering on ridiculous. I appreciate that I sound very 'Daily Mail' here, but it's something that I have to deal with a lot. I'm currently in discussions with Government Policy Advisors at Natural England, and am on first name terms with most of the leading UK experts in all things bat related.

The main issue is that for years and years and years....etc, ecology and the environment was widely disregarded as of little value/importance.

Rightly, there has been a massive turnaround on this. The problem is that it has gone too far the other way now. Legislation actually places a higher duty of care on European Protected Species than on people (genuinely). So if I have a bridge that I worry may collapse, if I step in to protect the public I can face up to 6 months in prison for any bats disturbed (the last structure I worked on was a tunnel that had a few hundred in it). Alternatively, I can allow it to collapse, get up to 10 years in prison for negligence, plus still get up to 6 months in prison per bat, because they got killed/disturbed when it collapsed!!

A few years ago I had a bridge that was bordering on collapse (it had zero capacity and its piers were buckling quickly), but which we couldn't stabilise or infill because 2 bats were under it. The bridge was the sole access to an estate, so we could not legally close it due to access issues for the locals, emergency services, etc. It took approx. 1.5 years before we were allowed to infill it, meanwhile HGVs, Bin wagons etc were still using it.

Even amongst environmental and ecological experts, a lot of the people in ecology and environmental action groups are viewed as 'nutcases'.
    One of the reasons we never mention finding them when exploring old mine workings....

Frankly the times I've actually come accross roosting bat's underground, they have never shifted their lazy arses so don't think they were too bothered by us being there....
    There is a heap of bollocks spouted by so called 'experts' it's right up there with listed building status in a lot of cases.... Great in principle BUT in application it can actually be detrimental causing old building to go into decline because a lot of folks don't want the hassle.

Bored bat deep in a Welsh mine....

Likes hextal, mariesnowgoose, Alf liked this post
    Thanks Alf thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Self-build
    Totally agree - but in all seriousness you may want to take the pic down. Some of the eco bods tend to check through online caving/adventure forums for just such pics.

Was talking to one of the UK leading bat acoustic experts the other day. There are apparently bats roosting under a runway bridge at a well known UK airport, so they are evidently non-too sensitive. The experts seem to have a relatively pragmatic view, unfortunately the law and the eco groups are a different bunch all together.

I had to close a tunnel used by the public not too long ago because there were loads of bats in it, which may get disturbed by the public. I suggested that it was demonstrably not an issue given that the bats were clearly fine with the public using it, but that argument fell on deaf ears.

I've got this fella in one of my tunnels.

The last bat: the mystery of Britain’s most solitary animal | News | The Guardian
    Last edited by hextal; 14-04-2019 at 15:36.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1997 Lunar Road Star 570 2001 BMW 1150RS
    We had bats ( no not in the belfry !!) in the loft a few years ago, we were unaware though. It came to light when we had gutters, soffits and loft insulation done. Ooh, you've got bats said the installer, no said I, but yes. They looked like half a dozen large slugs. Anyway, he said that the work could not commence until an expert had surveyed and removed or advised otherwise regarding said flying rodents and this was going to cost lots !! No expert required and a couple of weeks later the job was done
    When life gives you lemons, add them to your gin & tonic

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    They seem to object to everything in the Druridge area. Now they have objected to a Caravan Site in the Park, despite it earning money for the upkeep of the Park.

Druridge Bay caravan and camping site plans attract objections from residents - Chronicle Live
    Likes Alf liked this post

mariesnowgoose is offline Official OTW
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: She's gone bald!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    It's all about balance, Jim.

Having read the article it looks like it's exactly what we were told might be happening when we were at the WC meet last year. OK, they'll have extra water, sewerage, power, waste and access to install and deal with, but they had to deal with that anyway for the old visitor centre and again with the new one.

'The development will provide stone surfaced access tracks and 20 caravan/campervan pitches with electrical hook-up points and nearby water standpipes. Seven grass tent pitches will also be available. A waste-water cassette wash-out facility will be provided nearby, as will a small modular building with facilities for washing dishes.'

It certainly isn't a 'Haggerston Castle' type set up, and it will definitely be of benefit for the WC meet

The main objection seems to be the re-introduction of parking fees in the park, now 3 for all day and 1.60 for 2 hours, money which will go towards running the park. There are also locals who think it's a good idea for that very reason.

Another objection - which is pertinent and speaks volumes:

"It is meant to be a country park not a caravan site. Plus there are other caravan sites in the locality who will potentially lose business because of the proposal."

Well, well, well! Who'd a thunk it, ey?

It's still a much nicer idea than open cast, even if only a small scale facility and not generating jobs by the dozen.

Guess those out of work will just have to continue eating grass, me along with them
    Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    There but for the grace of God go I

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    Quote Originally Posted by mariesnowgoose View Post
    It's all about balance, Jim.

Having read the article it looks like it's exactly what we were told might be happening when we were at the WC meet last year. OK, they'll have extra water, sewerage, power, waste and access to install and deal with, but they had to deal with that anyway for the old visitor centre and again with the new one.

'The development will provide stone surfaced access tracks and 20 caravan/campervan pitches with electrical hook-up points and nearby water standpipes. Seven grass tent pitches will also be available. A waste-water cassette wash-out facility will be provided nearby, as will a small modular building with facilities for washing dishes.'

It certainly isn't a 'Haggerston Castle' type set up, and it will definitely be of benefit for the WC meet

The main objection seems to be the re-introduction of parking fees in the park, now 3 for all day and 1.60 for 2 hours, money which will go towards running the park. There are also locals who think it's a good idea for that very reason.

Another objection - which is pertinent and speaks volumes:

"It is meant to be a country park not a caravan site. Plus there are other caravan sites in the locality who will potentially lose business because of the proposal."

Well, well, well! Who'd a thunk it, ey?

It's still a much nicer idea than open cast
    , even if only a small scale facility and not generating jobs by the dozen.

Guess those out of work will just have to continue eating grass, me along with them
    And that is the whole point I have been trying to make with you Marie.

There was no Country Park until the Opencast Mining happened. The Mining Company restored the land in the form of a Country Park, with a Lake and landscaped grounds. The Council took it over and developed it. Now thousands of people enjoy the facility.

If the Council approved the plan for this new proposed mining then they must feel that there is a benefit for everyone in the County (which they believe overrides the objections of the few).

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    "If the Council approved the plan for this new proposed mining then they must feel that there is a benefit for everyone in the County (which they believe overrides the objections of the few)."

Yes, it will go ahead if supported and approved, objections notwithstanding.

But I must say I admire that you have such unwavering (naive?) faith & trust in your local council to be doing this purely for the employment, social & welfare needs of residents before anything else, Jim.

I've seen Northumberland Council, members and staff, at work in its chambers first hand. Not a pretty sight.
    All I shall say is good luck, keep calm and carry on.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    Not my Council dear, I have been turfed out of County Durham into Tyne and Wear.

Me, a Durham lad ... a proper Durham lad (because I worked underground in the Durham coalfield.
    Likes mariesnowgoose liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    Quote Originally Posted by maingate View Post
    Not my Council dear, I have been turfed out of County Durham into Tyne and Wear.

Me, a Durham lad ... a proper Durham lad (because I worked underground in the Durham coalfield.
    As were we many years ago when the the council boundaries were re-drawn

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information